• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

donCarlos

Reaction score
I recently thrifted a rather nice sportscoat for summer, according to label in my size, but it has very short sleeves with very little material to let out. Is it possible that the designer meant it that way, or is it just wrong?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
Yes.

Like the Italians say, black shoes with dark pants if for busboys.

Actually Italians say nothing but black shoes after 6pm. Of course that doesn't stop anybody.
laugh.gif

randob300

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a lightweight travel sport coat? Should I be looking at a silk/linen blend fabric? I know Zegna has/had a 'travel' line, but that is well out of my price range.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by donCarlos
I recently thrifted a rather nice sportscoat for summer, according to label in my size, but it has very short sleeves with very little material to let out. Is it possible that the designer meant it that way, or is it just wrong?

Depends how short the sleeves are... Of course the trend has been toward "shrunken suits" the last couple years as far as "fashion." But if the length of the jacket is good and it's just the sleeves that are way too short, that seems odd.

At any rate, you'll just have to determine if you can get away with it or not.

EZ

donCarlos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Depends how short the sleeves are... Of course the trend has been toward "shrunken suits" the last couple years as far as "fashion." But if the length of the jacket is good and it's just the sleeves that are way too short, that seems odd.

At any rate, you'll just have to determine if you can get away with it or not.

EZ

They are so short that it shows whole cuffs of the shirt and maybe even shorter. That´s pretty weird. Anyway, thanks for reply.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ Yeah, that's too short...

EZ

Temujin

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone tell me about Hardrige shoes/ dress boots? They are made in Paris. I can't find anything online. I have a pair I would like to sell but don't know what kind of price to put on them.
Thanks!

doug funnie

Reaction score
I picked up a bunch of AE shoes in sale and unfortunately the sizing seems a little inconsistent. Some of the loafers are just slightly too big and I was wondering if people had any tips on how to make them fit. Extra insoles? Some padding inside behind the heel?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
If a Loake shoe from the 1880 line says Calf leather, does this mean it is not corrected grain?

Specifically the Wells model http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/318.php

Yes, it is normal calf, not corrected grain. I am wearing one right now.

Originally Posted by doug funnie
I picked up a bunch of AE shoes in sale and unfortunately the sizing seems a little inconsistent. Some of the loafers are just slightly too big and I was wondering if people had any tips on how to make them fit. Extra insoles? Some padding inside behind the heel?

Loafers are always a bit bigger than lace ups since you need to be able to slip your feet in. You can use some padding beneath the area where the normal tongue is.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by threadedapparel
The term drop means the difference between the jacket and trouser size of a suit. The standard drop size is 6. This means that for a size 42 jacket, the trousers that will come with the jacket will be 6 sizes smaller. 42-6 = 36 size waist for the trousers. For socks, it is important to make sure the color of the socks matches your suit. Matching with the shoe color and tie color is not as important, but is always useful in looking your best. For more dress etiquette tips, please visit {link deleted} Thank you, Arthur
Are you being stupid or being a spammer? That post was 1.5 years ago.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ddragovi
I tend to prefer brown shoes with a navy suit. however I just bought this one...

http://store.dolcegabbana.com/item/s...X/areaid//sts/
for 1/2 off the $600 discounted price. and the color is such a dark blue it can almost be mistaken for black. Are dark brown shoes still a good choice?

Wouldn't be my first choice, I would go with either a burgundy, cognac or whiskey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads