• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans with an odd jacket, the right way

vbuskirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I understand they're not 'loud' enough for some, but they are casual, and I prefer subtle colours, textures and patterns. What's most important to me, is that I feel comfortable in them, and I do; I've been dressing like this for a long time. This reaction is not meant as a defense; it's just an explanation of my personal choices and preferences, for those who are interested.
Aliens have invaded the SF I've grown to know/expect in my short tenure here. :thumbsup:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I understand they're not 'loud' enough for some, but they are casual, and I prefer subtle colours, textures and patterns. What's most important to me, is that I feel comfortable in them, and I do; I've been dressing like this for a long time.

All that needs to be said! Keep up the good work NOBD.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
All that needs to be said! Keep up the good work NOBD.

Agreed. Everything you posted looks a million times better than most people I see out and about where I live.

Carry on.

EZ

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who don't like jeans with odd jackets, do you feel the same way about moleskins? Moleskins and other fustians were designed to be rugged workwear as much as jeans were, but they somehow have a slightly less casual feel.

Thoughts?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Homme
That was Mike, C.

mjktmj1.jpg

I think this does look better than Foo's OP

The only downside I see in the OP pic was the shade of denim; it's too dark for my liking. Imo, that shade doesn't belong on a man, period. It's better left to women. The pic above is as dark as denim should get on a man.

Originally Posted by Parker
I also wear a corduroy jacket with jeans. Still, I think tailored jacket with tailored pants looks better.

I'm growing to really like the jeans + corduroy jacket combo. I also just picked up a brushed cotton odd jacket from Brooks Bros in a tan color ... plan on wearing with jeans

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
The only downside I see in the OP pic was the shade of denim; it's too dark for my liking. Imo, that shade doesn't belong on a man, period. It's better left to women. The pic above is as dark as denim should get on a man.

Wait - what?

vbuskirk

Reaction score
IMHO the ticket pocket clashes with gingham, jeans & brass belt buckle. Then again, I'm not a fan of ticket pockets 'period'.

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
For those who don't like jeans with odd jackets, do you feel the same way about moleskins? Moleskins and other fustians were designed to be rugged workwear as much as jeans were, but they somehow have a slightly less casual feel.

Thoughts?

I think moleskins are fine, mostly due to them being cut like all my other trousers. Sure they are casual but still way more appropriate than jeans.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You totally lost me here. I think denim should always start dark/raw. Then break it in and fade it through wear. Nothing to do with gender, when I see people walking around with their honeycombs (horizontal fades behind their knees) on their calfs it's like watching a train-wreck. I think for wearing with CS/jackets, the darker the better, when they fade, move 'em to casual and weekend wear. I support the look.

Originally Posted by furo

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I refuse to believe that is the best a tailor can do working with denim. Those divots are epic.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
^^^ I refuse to believe that is the best a tailor can do working with denim. Those divots are epic.

I thought that you would love the ticket pocket.

- B

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Come on now, give Kiya's wedding suit a break. Clearly, the man who owns the best Japanese denim stores on both coasts gets a little leeway on his suiting choices.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
You totally lost me here. I think denim should always start dark/raw. Then break it in and fade it through wear. Nothing to do with gender, when I see people walking around with their honeycombs (horizontal fades behind their knees) on their calfs it's like watching a train-wreck. I think for wearing with CS/jackets, the darker the better, when they fade, move 'em to casual and weekend wear. I support the look.

MoK mentioned that his 501's seen in the OP aren't raw. Imo, they are too dark, but that's my opinion. Just doesn't look right on a man, that's all. And that certainly does not mean that I prefer any type of "honeycomb" horizontal fading. This is why I don't post in SWD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads