Jeans with an odd jacket, the right way

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Feb 20, 2010.

1. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

I understand they're not 'loud' enough for some, but they are casual, and I prefer subtle colours, textures and patterns. What's most important to me, is that I feel comfortable in them, and I do; I've been dressing like this for a long time. This reaction is not meant as a defense; it's just an explanation of my personal choices and preferences, for those who are interested.
    Aliens have invaded the SF I've grown to know/expect in my short tenure here. :thumbsup:

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I understand they're not 'loud' enough for some, but they are casual, and I prefer subtle colours, textures and patterns. What's most important to me, is that I feel comfortable in them, and I do; I've been dressing like this for a long time.

All that needs to be said! Keep up the good work NOBD.

3. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

All that needs to be said! Keep up the good work NOBD.

Agreed. Everything you posted looks a million times better than most people I see out and about where I live.

Carry on.

EZ

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

For those who don't like jeans with odd jackets, do you feel the same way about moleskins? Moleskins and other fustians were designed to be rugged workwear as much as jeans were, but they somehow have a slightly less casual feel.

Thoughts?

5. furo

furo Senior member

That was Mike, C.

[​IMG]

I think this does look better than Foo's OP

The only downside I see in the OP pic was the shade of denim; it's too dark for my liking. Imo, that shade doesn't belong on a man, period. It's better left to women. The pic above is as dark as denim should get on a man.

I also wear a corduroy jacket with jeans. Still, I think tailored jacket with tailored pants looks better.

I'm growing to really like the jeans + corduroy jacket combo. I also just picked up a brushed cotton odd jacket from Brooks Bros in a tan color ... plan on wearing with jeans

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

The only downside I see in the OP pic was the shade of denim; it's too dark for my liking. Imo, that shade doesn't belong on a man, period. It's better left to women. The pic above is as dark as denim should get on a man.

Wait - what?

7. vbuskirk

vbuskirk Senior member

IMHO the ticket pocket clashes with gingham, jeans & brass belt buckle. Then again, I'm not a fan of ticket pockets 'period'.

8. nioh

nioh Senior member

For those who don't like jeans with odd jackets, do you feel the same way about moleskins? Moleskins and other fustians were designed to be rugged workwear as much as jeans were, but they somehow have a slightly less casual feel.

Thoughts?

I think moleskins are fine, mostly due to them being cut like all my other trousers. Sure they are casual but still way more appropriate than jeans.

9. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

You totally lost me here. I think denim should always start dark/raw. Then break it in and fade it through wear. Nothing to do with gender, when I see people walking around with their honeycombs (horizontal fades behind their knees) on their calfs it's like watching a train-wreck. I think for wearing with CS/jackets, the darker the better, when they fade, move 'em to casual and weekend wear. I support the look.

10. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

11. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

^^^ I refuse to believe that is the best a tailor can do working with denim. Those divots are epic.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

^^^ I refuse to believe that is the best a tailor can do working with denim. Those divots are epic.

I thought that you would love the ticket pocket.

- B

13. DrZRM

DrZRM Senior member

^ Come on now, give Kiya's wedding suit a break. Clearly, the man who owns the best Japanese denim stores on both coasts gets a little leeway on his suiting choices.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

15. furo

furo Senior member

You totally lost me here. I think denim should always start dark/raw. Then break it in and fade it through wear. Nothing to do with gender, when I see people walking around with their honeycombs (horizontal fades behind their knees) on their calfs it's like watching a train-wreck. I think for wearing with CS/jackets, the darker the better, when they fade, move 'em to casual and weekend wear. I support the look.

MoK mentioned that his 501's seen in the OP aren't raw. Imo, they are too dark, but that's my opinion. Just doesn't look right on a man, that's all. And that certainly does not mean that I prefer any type of "honeycomb" horizontal fading. This is why I don't post in SWD.