• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone here been to jail or prison?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Darnielle
Somewhat related:

Can you bail yourself out of jail, provided you have the funds?

When I was in HPD jail near downtown Houston, they wouldn't let me bond myself out. My wallet along with all my credit cards were confiscated. They made someone bond me out.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a funny story about the first time I visited a client in jail. I go through the metal detector at security and then head into the pods to meet with my client. I sit with my client and we start talking about the case. At the end of the interview, I reach into my inside breast pocket to take a business card out of my wallet to give to the client and I realize that my wallet is missing. So, I tell my client I have to go and start rushing to get back to the front desk - problem is, it takes forever to get anywhere in jail (you go out one door, then you have to wait for the door to close behind you before the next door can open, and so on through a million doors). I get to the security desk and the guard is sitting there holding my wallet. I left the ******* thing in the little bin that I put it in before walking through the metal detector - in JAIL!!!

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Here's a funny story about the first time I visited a client in jail. I go through the metal detector at security and then head into the pods to meet with my client. I sit with my client and we start talking about the case. At the end of the interview, I reach into my inside breast pocket to take a business card out of my wallet to give to the client and I realize that my wallet is missing. So, I tell my client I have to go and start rushing to get back to the front desk - problem is, it takes forever to get anywhere in jail (you go out one door, then you have to wait for the door to close behind you before the next door can open, and so on through a million doors). I get to the security desk and the guard is sitting there holding my wallet. I left the ******* thing in the little bin that I put it in before walking through the metal detector - in JAIL!!!

lol I have a similar story in that it deals with the bins. I was going to court once and the guy infront of me was about 3-4 years older than I was. He proceeded to empty his pockets and everything was fine. He dropped his chain, wallet, pack of gum, and his pack of cigarettes into the bin. Well the guy obviously did not know, or he forgot, that they check the inside of your cigarettes packages. The officer that is responsible for waving you down if you beep opens the pack of smokes and finds a joint rolled up. The officer pulls the joint out, shows the guy and the guy immediately
facepalm.gif
. I just started laughing and went through for my turn. As I was leaving, it appeared as if the officer was arresting him.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Once at court the judge remanded a guy who had a case for some minor offense, maybe possession? Anyway, at the time the judge had been remanding a few people during their morning appearances just to scare them straight, and would call their case again in the afternoon and let them out. Well, the guy had weed in his pocket. In court. He did not get to walk out that afternoon.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Side note - I had a conversation with a guard at the local county prison recently. The prisoners were given a special treat over Christmas. An ice cream sandwich. That's right, the one bright spot in an year of incarceration was a single ice cream sandwich as donated by some local charity do-gooder group. I can't imagine my life being so empty and devoid of enjoyment as to anxiously await the one day per year I could enjoy the sweet-sweet deliciousness of an ice cream sandwich. It actually got me a little sad.
NO TOUCHING!!!!!!

I haven't been to JAIL jail, but I did go to Australia for about 10 days a few years ago.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Yes. Was in two jails today visiting clients. Over the years I have been to jail as a defendant a few times in DC, and at least once each in a few MD counties plus Baltimore. Baltimore city jail is the ******* worst.

If you gotta take a *********** bullpen remember to step one leg all the way out of your pants. It's a lot easier to defend yourself if you're legs aren't tied.

eztantz

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance - what exactly is the difference between jail & prison?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz

I believe jail is temporary incarceration while prison is extended stay. I'm not an expert though-haven't broken any laws except for being a minority in the US.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long, boring story but, I spent 2 days in a Kenyan jail for entering Kenya "illegally" from Sudan. Was eventually deported back to the USA
smile.gif

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brothersport
I haven't been to JAIL jail, but I did go to Australia for about 10 days a few years ago.
Haha.. I guess I'm serving consecutive life sentences then?

Check out Louis Theroux on youtube and his docs about life in San Quentin.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive been to jail tons of times. sometimes i was in it and sometimes my friends. it was for various things. some hard some soft. usually it was for AFK macroing.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
Jails are usually run by the county and are for misdemeanors: holding people from 1 day-1 year. Prisons are run by the state and are for felonies, i.e. sentences of more than a year. It's no joke. 1 in 32 Americans are currently in jail, on parole, or probation. The numbers double every 10 years:
US_correctional_population_timeline.gif

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twice. Once for a couple hours and once for 3 or 4 days. On the latter the cop told me my bail and I asked if I could just pay it. He said yes. I told him I'd pay by debit card. He said ok. I asked if I could get my wallet and he said no. I asked him how the hell I'm supposed to pay if my card is in my wallet and my wallet and everything else was taken from me by the guards. He responded that he couldn't get my wallet for me. I got pissed but just gave him this look like, "You're a ******* idiot". So then I told him that I never got my phone call (I didn't) and he just stared at his computer screen. I looked at another cop and he responded and took me to a phone.

I called my dad as it's basically the only number I know off the top of my head but he was on vacation and didn't pick up. Day 2 called again and he didn't pick up. Day 3 he picked up. Apparently, if you make a phone call (all calls are collect) to a cell phone number from jail, the person you are calling cannot acccept charges until they have established a line of credit by calling the jail and putting money towards any incoming calls. Great system. At that point I had been moved to a low security jail for those who are non threatening. This basically consisted of spending the day talking with people, joking around with the guards, playing cards or board games, reading magazines or books, and watching tv. If you used or sold drugs, this was also the perfect place to be. People were making connections left and right getting phone numbers, making deals, placing orders, and getting intel into different drugs. Great system. At this point they had raised the bail so I told my dad to just call around and get the lowest rate (talk them down) and I'd call back the next day. Stayed another day for the hell of it as it gave me another day in there (had I been sentenced to jail time) and it gave me another day to relax, mess around, and not have to be at work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads