• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which car to get - Land Rover LR3 vs. MDX vs. Ford Explorer?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whusurdadi
My wife is expecting our third kid in April, and I need a 7 seater now (you can't fit 3 car seats in the back of a sedan since the carseats are so big)...

I plan on gettting a used (most probably a 2006-2008) with low mileage, and I test drove all 3...

Any thoughts?

I'm leaning toward the LR3 since I've always wanted a Land Rover...

I, myself, enjoy luxury. That's why I drive the finest motorcar in the world. "Jag-u-ar."

chas

Reaction score
With three kids an MDX might be a bit tight. But that is definately the nicest of the bunch. I agree the Land Rover is very cool and great to ride in, but the fact is the quality is rubbish.

I know it is ugly as sin but the Ford Flex is huge inside and very nice with the Luxury package. I know because my mother has one. My stepfather is in a wheel chair and it is one of the only cars that is low enough for him to transfer into and that can fit his chair in the back without breaking it down.

The Flex may be a non starter because it is fugly but I can tell you that the interior is nice and it drives great.

KBW

Reaction score
I have checked...just curious if anyone here has any experience with either...good and bad...

At different times I've had a 99 Discovery, 2003 Discovery, 2006 RR SC (SC=supercharged), 2010 RR SC, and recently bought a NAS Defender 110 that needs some work. I still have the 03 Discovery, 10 RR, and D110. If you follow the maintenance guidelines you have ZERO problems with landrovers. **** breaks because dumbasses don't realize you HAVE TO (absolutely have to) do the services when you are supposed to. It is a full time 4x4 vehicle and most people aren't used to have their differentials, transmission, etc serviced like you have to service them for a 4x4. I do all of that work myself and it is easy. Many LR forums that can show you how to do all of that in under an hour and you get to know your vehicle. I'd definitely go LR as there's seriously nothing else like them.

Whether I'm driving my 03 discovery that is only probably worth 10K or so or my new RR SC everyone loves them and talks to you about them when you pull up somewhere. Nice conversation starter, comfortable, luxurious, and right at home anywhere you take it. I can't wait to finish building the D110. I was going to buy a Porsche GT3 or something similar but I'd probably kill myself with one of those and I'd be afraid of working on it myself. When I finish the NAS defender i'll have 30-40K in it to make it absolutely perfect and it'll be worth 60 easy.

Go for the LR3. My neighbor has one that he has modified a little bit I could shoot some pics of tonight if you'd like. He absolutely loves it

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Why do all your choices suck so bad?

Of the three the MDX is the least mediocre.

Ah, now I get you. You're just a dick in all car threads.
nod[1].gif

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I'd go for the MDX out of the three you have listed. I haven't heard anything good about Land Rovers and Ford is, well...Ford. I'd also second the recommendation for an X5. Volvo's XC 90 is a good choice too. I have 3 friends who own XC 90s and have nothing but good things to say.

The X5 only comes as a 5 seater...

I just found out yesterday that the XC90 comes with a third bench, so I'm going to go test drive one over the weekend...

Anyone have any other ideas?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not,Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not get a Land Rover. Currently awaiting the death of my 3rd Rover. Using it as a station car, engine is shot and will die shortly. That was the least of the problems I've had with them. I like the Explorer and MDX, also look at the Mazda CX9, very good reviews and crash test ratings, good price also, should be cheaper than the others for a more recent model. I am in the same boat and was going to get a Cayenne, but really need the third row of seats so looking at 3 row SUV's.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The X5 only comes as a 5 seater...

I just found out yesterday that the XC90 comes with a third bench, so I'm going to go test drive one over the weekend...

Anyone have any other ideas?

My wife had an XC90, about a 2005 model year, on lease. She had the 5 cyl turbo, AWD. Loved the car, felt immensely safe, good kid mover (not that we have kids). However, it was a bit underpowered when driving up mountain passes. However, they moved to an eight cyl engine, and it seemed there were some service issues with that engine. All in all however, based on her experience, a great car.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not,Do not, Do not, Do not, Do Not, Do Not, Do Not, Do not get a Land Rover. Currently awaiting the death of my 3rd Rover. Using it as a station car, engine is shot and will die shortly. That was the least of the problems I've had with them. I like the Explorer and MDX, also look at the Mazda CX9, very good reviews and crash test ratings, good price also, should be cheaper than the others for a more recent model. I am in the same boat and was going to get a Cayenne, but really need the third row of seats so looking at 3 row SUV's.

If you're looking at the Cayenne, and need a third row, might I suggest my mid-level SUV?
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'll delete this a few minutes after I write this, but, I actually like the R better than the GL
blush.gif

Too late!

Did you drive 'em yet? The GL does not feel like a big vehicle. Almost as good handling as Mrs. Piob's ML. FWIW, she had a GLK for a service loaner, said it was underpowered.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll delete this a few minutes after I write this, but, I actually like the R better than the GL
blush.gif

NO!!!!!! The R is, well, hideous to look at. The GL is nice inside and out.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four of my BMW guys have LRs. They have been complete, unmitigated disasters. In the shop more than out. A shame, because much of the lineage and tradition of LR is excellent The Explorer is total crap for other reasons. Interestingly, I enjoyed driving the Ford Escape.

Out of the three, I'd go MDX.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The R is hideous, but nice on the inside. I like the old G wagon as I like the old LR Discovery, the exterior of the GL leaves me a bit cold. Plus, I am looking to transport young kids, muddy baseball equipment, warehouse club stuff etc etc, not sure I want to do that in a 80K car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads