• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FYI: Divorce sux

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Pre-nup, yes or no? Hard to enforce?

marriage itself is foolish decision, to marry without soem sort of document protecting your assets, is criminally stupid.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't get this concept. I will never let my wife leave. she is my prisoner.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i don't get this concept. I will never let my wife leave. she is my prisoner.

where is perimeter for the shock collar? around your yard? or can she not leave the house?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cannot leave the neighborhood.
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^sick joke bro. the cervical camera I had inserted alerts me to intruders.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^lol.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
marriage itself is foolish decision, to marry without soem sort of document protecting your assets, is criminally stupid.

This is fine if you have significant assets going in to the marriage, but if the bulk of your assets were earned after you got married, then you are screwed. Most people marry relatively young, so the man usually gets screwed because he's typically the highest earner and ends up paying for everything even though the kids get to live with the mother. I think I read that the average divorced man will lose 70% of his net worth.

doubleb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
This is fine if you have significant assets going in to the marriage, but if the bulk of your assets were earned after you got married, then you are screwed. Most people marry relatively young, so the man usually gets screwed because he's typically the highest earner and ends up paying for everything even though the kids get to live with the mother. I think I read that the average divorced man will lose 70% of his net worth.

A lot of the articles and research say that emotionally, men gain more from a marriage than a woman does. I suppose it is the reverse through divorce.

I wonder how well marriage counselling works (and/or any attempts at reconciliation)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is awesome:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Parts I disagree with, but the numbers are fascinating. Also matches the experience of my peer group:

http://www.singularity2050.com/2010/...ry-bubble.html

I agree with a lot of it too. There's definitely some kookiness going on there and the alpha/beta male **** is marsupialed, but the essential point that that statistically marriage is a bad idea for men holds true. I was astonished by the huge skew in filing rates by sex. I fact checked it and all I really found was an old NYT article from 1989 when it was 61% filed by women. With the Sex and the City generation, I'm not surprised it's higher, although I didn't find a verifiable source and am too lazy to continue looking.

marriagetrap.jpg

Benzito

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

Maybe what you said is true in Canada, but I am a divorce lawyer and much of what you write just isn't the way it works elsewhere.

Most U.S. jurisdictions will have a default of a 50/50 split of property acquired after the wedding, with some adjustments to give one party a disproportionate share under limited circumstances (disabled, stay-at-home mom, gambling / drug spending by the other). Things you had when you married are handled in all sorts of different ways.

Even so, a good premarital agreement in many places can be used to replace the state's version of a "fair" split in a divorce with your own contractual definition, within reason.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Maybe what you said is true in Canada, but I am a divorce lawyer and much of what you write just isn't the way it works elsewhere. Most U.S. jurisdictions will have a default of a 50/50 split of property acquired after the wedding, with some adjustments to give one party a disproportionate share under limited circumstances (disabled, stay-at-home mom, gambling / drug spending by the other). Things you had when you married are handled in all sorts of different ways. Even so, a good premarital agreement in many places can be used to replace the state's version of a "fair" split in a divorce with your own contractual definition, within reason.
They lose 50% to the wife but then you have to add in the legal fees, which can be substantial and ongoing, and I don't think child support payments is included (which wouldn't be needed if they were allowed to continue living with the highest earner). Maybe the 70% number is wrong. I don't know, but it's clear that it's higher than 50% and that the person with the highest salary suffers most, which is usually the man, and that this is augmented by the child support payments and associated costs of keeping the kids (and by association the wife) in the standard to which they have become accustomed. As for prenups, I'm not lawyer and no expert there. I remember LD saying in another related thread that despite what you put down on paper, they are often invalidated at the discretion of the judge. Lets say a husband makes 150k/yr and the wife makes 40k. The wife doesn't quit her job, except for a short time just after the pregnancy. Assuming you could get the wife to agree to it, would a pre-arranged split of 70/30 of assets obtained after the marriage ever be allowed to stand?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads