• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM in NYC for around $1,000: Mr. Ned?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TEPLimey
I have a connection that will do MTM in NYC for about $700 with Zenga (Super 150s / Cashmere), Holland and Sherry (130s), etc. and also Loro Piana for a bit more.

I did not ask the company whether they are ok with me posting their contact info, but if you are interested, please PM me.

That is imposible. At best it's made in HK and is completely fused.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69

i agree /\\ with $200 minimum of fabric in the garment. you can't get anything madde in this city for that price. or at least anything you want to wear.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
i agree /\\ with $200 minimum of fabric in the garment. you can't get anything madde in this city for that price. or at least anything you want to wear.

English American's prices are not far off from this. Made in America, fully canvassed, handwork in key places. Compares favorably to H-F.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
English American's prices are not far off from this. Made in America, fully canvassed, handwork in key places. Compares favorably to H-F.

Including fabric? A Zegnas s150s will run you at least $200/meter retail, no?

Politely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
I've always been keen to try Ned out. Do you think the reason your first was just OK was b/c you weren't specific enough when ordering it?

Well, yes and no. I wasn't specific enough, but also, I didn't really have a benchmark to make a comparative judgment. For example, after the first suit, I asked for even higher armholes, which I couldn't do without the first suit as a benchmark. And it wouldn't have been fair to Vahram to ask for changes that should really have been specified from the beginning. Again, as an example, I asked for less shoulder padding than his standard (and he showed me samples and I picked one), but it was only after I got to wear the first suit that I figured that I wanted even less padding for the second. I think you can ask for and get the details you want, but you may change your mind after getting it.

I recall reading other posts that mentioned that in ordering custom clothing (and shoes) that the first one or two items should be viewed as part of the expense in getting it "right". In my experience, I think that's right.

Finally, I said that the first suit was OK - but it's actually better than that. It fits much better than any OTR suit I have, it's just not as good as the second suit.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Politely
Well, yes and no. I wasn't specific enough, but also, I didn't really have a benchmark to make a comparative judgment. For example, after the first suit, I asked for even higher armholes, which I couldn't do without the first suit as a benchmark. And it wouldn't have been fair to Vahram to ask for changes that should really have been specified from the beginning. Again, as an example, I asked for less shoulder padding than his standard (and he showed me samples and I picked one), but it was only after I got to wear the first suit that I figured that I wanted even less padding for the second. I think you can ask for and get the details you want, but you may change your mind after getting it.

I recall reading other posts that mentioned that in ordering custom clothing (and shoes) that the first one or two items should be viewed as part of the expense in getting it "right". In my experience, I think that's right.

Finally, I said that the first suit was OK - but it's actually better than that. It fits much better than any OTR suit I have, it's just not as good as the second suit.

Do you have any photos that you can share?

Cool Dad

Reaction score
I've had a very good experience at Alan David recently. In addition to Coppley, they also use John H. Daniel, which I find to be a better style choice for me, although a tad more expensive.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff

Absolutely. Of course, I don't go for "fashiony" fabric like most of the super Zegna stuff I've seen. Most of my EA garments are made from Holland & Sherry basic worsteds in super 120s-140s make.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff

keep in mind that there are different qualities of Zegna fabric and they probably make some of the cheaper stuff in China, like Loro Piana. Go to a discounter like Filenes and you'll see "Tessuto Zegna" suits for $300-400, that fabric does not cost $200/meter.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
keep in mind that there are different qualities of Zegna fabric and they probably make some of the cheaper stuff in China, like Loro Piana. Go to a discounter like Filenes and you'll see "Tessuto Zegna" suits for $300-400, that fabric does not cost $200/meter.

^ Very, very good point. Its like the blazer I once had from Brooks that was labled as having been made from Loro Piana worsted. The elbows became shiny in 3 months.

goldknots

Reaction score
So I just came from checking out Mr. Ned and some fabrics. All in all I liked what I saw, I was able to check out a few of the finished pieces and look at the fabrics. I don't know that much about fabrics, I pretty much looked for what caught my eye, and felt nice and was a year round fabric. He was adamant that he doesn't do MTM, but custom which too me pretty much means MTM from the process I understand. Otherwise $850 for the suit, $50 for Surgeon Cuffs, $50 for pick stitching, and possible extra fro side vents, $250 for an orphan pair of slacks and a 5-6 week turnaround. Do these prices coincide with what you have heard, I believe I saw somewhere else it was $800 and $35 for each additional item but I am not surprised if prices have gone up and still consider it a good value. I think I will be going in to order the staple blue suit to replace my current workhorse in about two weeks. I will let you know how it goes.

JT82

Reaction score
^ Yes - $250 for pants.

I've been using Mr Ned recently for all of my office trousers, and am very pleased with the construction and fit. Working with Vahram has been a pleasure. Well worth it.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
So I just came from checking out Mr. Ned and some fabrics. All in all I liked what I saw, I was able to check out a few of the finished pieces and look at the fabrics. I don't know that much about fabrics, I pretty much looked for what caught my eye, and felt nice and was a year round fabric. He was adamant that he doesn't do MTM, but custom which too me pretty much means MTM from the process I understand. Otherwise $850 for the suit, $50 for Surgeon Cuffs, $50 for pick stitching, and possible extra fro side vents, $250 for an orphan pair of slacks and a 5-6 week turnaround. Do these prices coincide with what you have heard, I believe I saw somewhere else it was $800 and $35 for each additional item but I am not surprised if prices have gone up and still consider it a good value. I think I will be going in to order the staple blue suit to replace my current workhorse in about two weeks. I will let you know how it goes.

I assume the $850 is for his endbolts/house fabrics.

goldknots

Reaction score
I assume the $850 is for his endbolts/house fabrics.
I believe so, I didn't spend too much time there today, maybe 20 minutes to get a feel for the place and look at finished products. Seemed like decent fabric for the price but then again I'm not that familiar with the fabric houses etc. I recall seeing a lot of fabric labels for Holland & Sherry Super 120's.

JT82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by goldknots
I believe so, I didn't spend too much time there today, maybe 20 minutes to get a feel for the place and look at finished products. Seemed like decent fabric for the price but then again I'm not that familiar with the fabric houses etc. I recall seeing a lot of fabric labels for Holland & Sherry Super 120's.
There are rows of fabrics on-site; all different weights. I've heard from others that he is willing to do CMT as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads