• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What would you wear these Double Monk Strap shoes with?

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to pick up a $533 pair of Paraboot Double Monk Strap Calfskin shoes at a local Clothier here in Dallas today for $108 on winter clearance. And I'm excited as heck to wear them. But I need your advice.

Since the sole is a combination of wood and rubber...i.e. there's about a half inch of wood sandwiched between two pieces of rubber in the heel and the rest of the sole is a very hard rubber...I am not sure what I can wear them with.

So what would you wear them with? THEY ARE a $500 pair of shoes and I'd like to get some nice use out of them...(without violating styleforum rules of course.

1. Would you wear them with a suit or more casual attire or both?

2. Would you wear them with pants that have a cuff or only those without cuffs?

3. Would you wear them with Jeans? Khakis? etc.

4. What else? Any other thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

4271685021_0aa8d7b1aa_b.jpg

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "wood", can you post picture of the sole?

Double monks are quite casual. I personally would not pair with suit. Sportscoat/pants combo yes, suit no.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Not sure what you mean by "wood", can you post picture of the sole?

Double monks are quite casual. I personally would not pair with suit. Sportscoat/pants combo yes, suit no.

He prolly means leather which is often mistaken as wood for the shoe noobs.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
number 3

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
He prolly means leather which is often mistaken as wood for the shoe noobs.

...am sure it is wood, trust me

though, i only know it from italian shoes, it can be the fact for froggies, too

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think scotch grain shoes in any form like this go very well with jeans, corduroys, khakis and most odd trousers expect dark gray formal ones. Wear then well and enjoy. Just do whatever you feel works in the morning when you put them on.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
...am sure it is wood, trust me

though, i only know it from italian shoes, it can be the fact for froggies, too

Wha??? Seems like wood would not wear very comfortably, who wants to stand around on a block of wood all day?

As noted above, I think the OP is making a very common mistake, in thinking that a stacked heel is composed of layers of wood with a leather or leather and rubber cap. OP, that's actually a stack of pieces of leather. In a natural or light edge treatment it winds up looking a lot like wood.

I think those could be worn with a tweed suit, or perhaps a grey/brown glen plaid. They wouldn't go well with a classic navy suit, but that's ok. They're great looking shoes, and it sounds like you got a phenomenal deal. Paraboot are very well made.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlwaysDressed
4273124014_ceb35a13f8_o.jpg

Looks like typical stacked heel to me - made from leather.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've found that high quality shoe soles can often resemble woodgrain which is appealing in my eye.

Bartolo

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up a pair of Paraboot bluchers in that same grain and color, here locally in the Boston area. I love 'em! They have the same stacked heel (which my gf, too, thought is wood).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads