• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i saw a beautiful jade green jil sander turtleneck this weekend

sf barneys sucks

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Having spoken to the owner of Oki-Ni...he likes things that piss people off and make people get upset. This was spurred by our Raf x Asics shoes.
Does he also like to piss people off with high prices and photos that are so bad that you can't tell how something really fits?

Originally Posted by shoreman1782
That was at least sort of their demographic to begin with--they used to sell colorful, crazy-fabric collabs with adidas, collabs with Duffer, 6876, etc.
Makes perfect sense then.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Well he's also transitioning from streetwear-ish looks to "fashion" and it is not happening seamlessly.
You mean streetwear in the bad sense of the word, right?
wink.gif

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
thanks for the link zissou, I just wish I understood a little more of what was being said.

that Buccaneers shirt he's wearing at shirt is badical.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the story is something like: "Look at this crazy man! He has 5x as much clothes as his wife! Let's have him on a talk show and laugh at how much $ he spends on denim." Fun to watch, though.

hnlax

Reaction score
So many kags at lax checking in louis vuitton luggage. The honor system must be strong at baggage claim in Seoul...or people must like fakes

also, chunky knits seem to have hit Asian women traveling...as have ugg boots on Japanese men

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I'm willing to bet the story is something like: "Look at this crazy man! He has 5x as much clothes as his wife! Let's have him on a talk show and laugh at how much $ he spends on denim." Fun to watch, though.

yeah... I would imagine guys like him are more common there than here. we should plan a SF field trip to Japan.

robbie

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Well he's also transitioning from streetwear-ish looks to "fashion" and it is not happening seamlessly.

No, definitely not seamless. I personally really like the wierd amalgam though. I have a bunch of his old collab stuff, and I wish that there was more of that, but I like the streetwear meets fashion thing as well. It seems a lot more organic than a lot of other online boutiques. I get bored by too much coherency and lack of craziness in a boutique, online or otherwise. I like a boutique like Alan Bilzerian, which is full of stuff I love, but also has stuff that I would never, ever, want, even if I could afford it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
i saw a beautiful jade green jil sander turtleneck this weekend
sf barneys sucks

It actually has some gems, but they are pretty picked over at this point. Did you go to Selfedge and MAC, which are probably the unique places in SF? The Archive is decent too, but too focused for me. Acrimony has a small but good selection, including a multi-purpose Harput's piece. Nice, but doesn't really go with my style, and a little reminiscent of Julius and Rick Owens.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason that no one cares about Neil Barrett around here? I have found a lot of good NB items this year. Appealing slim-cut styles, not too over the top, does not have logos festooned all over the clothes -- at least that is what I have seen in person. The runway stuff looks a bit out there.

Or maybe I just think the clothes are quality but they are actually crap and I have my head up ******. I cannot rule that out.

__CB__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
No, definitely not seamless. I personally really like the wierd amalgam though. I have a bunch of his old collab stuff, and I wish that there was more of that, but I like the streetwear meets fashion thing as well. It seems a lot more organic than a lot of other online boutiques. I get bored by too much coherency and lack of craziness in a boutique, online or otherwise. I like a boutique like Alan Bilzerian, which is full of stuff I love, but also has stuff that I would never, ever, want, even if I could afford it.

+1. Last thing the world needs is another store whose brand line-up consists solely of APC, NDG, W+H, Our Legacy, ad nauseam... oki-ni seem to take a lot of risks on new brands/items and for that they should be applauded.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Is there a reason that no one cares about Neil Barrett around here? I have found a lot of good NB items this year. Appealing slim-cut styles, not too over the top, does not have logos festooned all over the clothes -- at least that is what I have seen in person. The runway stuff looks a bit out there. Or maybe I just think the clothes are quality but they are actually crap and I have my head up ******. I cannot rule that out.
Actually, the quality is terrific. I'd say that it is a full step, quality wise, above, say, current Margiela. I was looking at a double collar knit (he seems to like these a lot), and I think that one of the collars was asymmetric, the other day. That is not that easy to make. The leathers are well conceived and well executed. I really like Neil Barrett for everyday wear. The problem is that the designs are not really that exciting. If it were a mid-tier brand like Wings+Horns, Rag&Bone, or Nom de Guerre, I'd be all over it. However, it's priced in the designer category (and it really deserves to be there), so I only buy it at discount. Same goes with John Varvatos. His mainline stuff these days is pretty dull, so I will only buy basics (his trousers fit me well,) at super deep discount (I just picked up a pair of trousers for $59.)

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
Wow.... These are probably the most ugly necklaces I've ever seen:

http://www.oki-ni.com/Brands/Florian/icat/florian

How the hell did they get Oki-ni to carry their brand?
crazy.gif
I can't imagine anyone wearing these and not looking like a complete marsupial.

The worst part is a few styles are already sold out!
facepalm.gif

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Should've bought it at full price. People who are really stylish never worry about things like money.

Would've, because I can afford it and it is something I like, stop twisting what I say to make me sound stupid, it's so obvious that you have it in for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads