• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford's movie "A Single Man"

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
It betrays vanity.

Or that your tie is really really thin. My high school ties were so thin that if you didn't do a windsor your knot would be the size of a tic-tac.

DandySF

Reaction score
Good point about tie width. In the movie the ties were very narrow, so the knots were not at all attention-getting.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I saw Tom Ford on Jimmy Fallon a couple of weeks ago promoting this movie. Both were dressed in Tom Ford, in identical styles: SBPL, ticket pocket, forget how many buttons. The clothes don't look good moving in real life, even on Ford, but perhaps my Drapist bias is showing here. Ford himself struck a weird chord, and seems affected, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

--Andre

Here's the clip: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....12809/1183425/

Not sure if I'm seeing anything really that wrong with either of them.

DandySF

Reaction score
They both look great, very contemporary. Tom is clearly at ease being in front of the camera.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Here's the clip: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....12809/1183425/

Not sure if I'm seeing anything really that wrong with either of them.

Thanks for finding the video clip --- people can see for themselves, and decide whether they like his clothing or not. What I see along with schizophrenic, overwrought detailing is that the clothes are stiff and don't move well, like they're wearing him instead of him wearing the clothes.

--Andre

heli0x

Reaction score

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Thanks for finding the video clip --- people can see for themselves, and decide whether they like his clothing or not. What I see along with schizophrenic, overwrought detailing is that the clothes are stiff and don't move well, like they're wearing him instead of him wearing the clothes. --Andre
Larger lapels and 5 cuff buttons = 'schizophrenic, overwrought detailing'? Or is a collar pin now a no-no? Even the much-pilloried-on-SF-before-resident-tailor-adopts-them 'pagoda shoulders' aren't clearly apparent on either TF or JF in the clip.
Originally Posted by heli0x
Surprised. He seemed like a really nice guy, not at all like what I was expecting.
Perhaps this statement sheds some light on why so many people on SF seem to instinctively dislike TF, and by extension his clothing.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
In one of the books Bond identifies a dodgy character by the fact that he was wearing a Windsor knot ...

Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
It betrays vanity.

See my signature for the citation (The first one -- The Ramones are another story.)

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slumdawgbillionaire
same question? what is the movie about? A single man searching for love?

It is beautifully shot and the most depressing movie maybe ever. Not only do we get to imagine a lover of 15+ years dying and leaving us to fend for ourselves but then we are also reminded to seize the day for you could always get hit by a truck crossing the street when you least expect it.

The whole thing feels like a Chanel ad where beautiful things are fuzzy and moving in slow motion.

Juliane Moore is insipid as always. What artistes they all are! (Except I actually think Colin Firth does an incredible job.)

I decided to see the film after watching Tom Ford sell it on Charlie Rose for an hour. Charlie Rose needs to be less of a shill.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I saw TF on Charlie Rose a few years ago and he seemed like an OK guy. I never had the negative sense of him that several on SF have. As for the movie, I thought it was a good first effort. Not earth shattering, but better than most of what was out there last wknd. I'll have to find the clip of recent Charlie Rose episode.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Thanks for finding the video clip --- people can see for themselves, and decide whether they like his clothing or not. What I see along with schizophrenic, overwrought detailing is that the clothes are stiff and don't move well, like they're wearing him instead of him wearing the clothes.

--Andre

I've like Ford's work (clothing) but I think Fallon just looks horrible in suits; he didn't even have a pocket square. More colour and a pattern would have been nice.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Chapter 25 of "From Russia With Love". Second-best Bond book, second-best Bond movie, in my humble opinion. Never did the full Windsor knot, but after reading this book two-and-a-half years ago, I stopped tying half-Windsors. Ah yes, this thread is about the Tom Ford movie. Well, nothing to add here until I do more research...

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
I don't know. couldn't that argument be made about most of the things we obsess over on this forum?
"The man's suit has no divots! He must be vain!"

As is, it's a stupid argument, and when you consider that it's essentially following a fictional character's taste penned by a man not exactly known for his own style, it only becomes stupider.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads