• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford's movie "A Single Man"

Pressfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
It is beautifully shot and the most depressing movie maybe ever. Not only do we get to imagine a lover of 15+ years dying and leaving us to fend for ourselves but then we are also reminded to seize the day for you could always get hit by a truck crossing the street when you least expect it.

The whole thing feels like a Chanel ad where beautiful things are fuzzy and moving in slow motion.

Juliane Moore is insipid as always. What artistes they all are! (Except I actually think Colin Firth does an incredible job.)

I decided to see the film after watching Tom Ford sell it on Charlie Rose for an hour. Charlie Rose needs to be less of a shill.

I saw the movie yesterday and I could not agree more with these comments. For some reason, Julianne Moore annoyed me doing her version of an English accent. I also recently saw "An Education", and Peter Saarsgard did not bother me at all with his English accent.

"A Single Man" is clearly not "the feel-good movie of the season", but I didn't realize it was going to be such a downer. On the other hand, it is beautifully photographed - just as the previous post says, like an extended perfume commercial.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Just saw the movie last night. The movie obviously was meant to be inspirational - some may disagree but it reminded me of "American Beauty" - but I did feel a bit depressed for the most part.

But I was totally enchanted by the wardrobe - Colin Firth's clothes fitted him very well and looked extremely good. I particularly liked the dark blazer and the white shirt he wore towards the end of the movie. Exquisite.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought Firth's coat collar stood off his neck a bit. Something I've noticed on the two TF suits I've seen in person.

lefty

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For everyone else who has seen it, did you both catch the mistakes with the cuff links and at the very end? I don't want to post more in depth to prevent a spoiler.

Edit - the film was fantastic. Colin Firth's performance was the best I have seen on screen since Daniel Day Lewis portrayed Daniel Plainview in There Will be Blood. Julianne Moore's accent was awful, as was stated above, and I think she was pretty bad; I don't buy all the Oscar hype for her.

The cinematography was outstanding, captivating, and truly wove the movie together simultaneously. The film is assuredly esoteric, as I heard middle Americans commenting on it after I left the theatre. However, from a straight man's perspective, in his young 20's, it was fantastic.

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
For everyone else who has seen it, did you both catch the mistakes with the cuff links and at the very end?.

I have to say I missed this. I'm now curious.

Originally Posted by lefty
I thought Firth's coat collar stood off his neck a bit.

I did not see this at all. Maybe I'm not as discerning a sartorial observer as I thought I was
wink.gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was noticeable when he was simply standing or walking. As it was with the suits I saw in person.

lefty

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pressfan
I saw the movie yesterday and I could not agree more with these comments. For some reason, Julianne Moore annoyed me doing her version of an English accent. I also recently saw "An Education", and Peter Saarsgard did not bother me at all with his English accent.

"A Single Man" is clearly not "the feel-good movie of the season", but I didn't realize it was going to be such a downer. On the other hand, it is beautifully photographed - just as the previous post says, like an extended perfume commercial.

+1

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Outside of the stylistic aspects is the movie any good?

Yes. But depressing. Also very authentic mise en scene. It really was what
the early sixties looked like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads