• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what makes a good shoe and why they cost so much

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
laugh.gif
Jerk! That girl was a former model. I may never have a more beautiful girlfriend. Of course, I've said that before... She also had a few post grad degrees and had set up an ngo that founded and ran grade schools in the poorest, rural areas. Oh well..

Sorry. That's the kind of woman who ends up with guys like me.

I know that this is not fair, but presumably, I will pay for it by slow roasting in Hell.

- B

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rossi
About the channeling of the stitching in the outsole: when you are in the situation of having these open channels, would it not be an effective idea to fill that channel up with some pieces of leather? I'm thinking snares of leather that you push in and which would then expand when you walk. That way, the stitching is protected from debris. ?
I'm not saying it couldn't be done..nor that it hasn't been done...but considering the conditions that the outsole is exposed to, I doubt that it would be effective. The first time you got into any gravel or grit, those pieces would be scoured out...in a trice. Beyond that, if the maker or manufactory simply takes the time...mere seconds in most cases...to cut the channel with the machine and close it back up when done, it is probably as effective at preventing untimely wear as any other solution. I'm not sure that a hand cut horizontal channel is all that much more effective than the vertical channel, although the horizontal channel certainly looks cleaner and more professional. But I am sure that the vertical channel shown above is much much more effective at prolonging the life of the outsole stitching than either exposed stitching or stitching aloft. And if the horizontal channel looks more professional than the vertical channel, the vertical channel looks more professional than exposed stitching--it's a sign that somebody cares, IOW.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Sorry. That's the kind of woman who ends up with guys like me.

I know that this is not fair, but presumably, I will pay for it by slow roasting in Hell.

Why would getting the leftovers of guys like me condemn guys like you to hell?
confused.gif

Btw, have I told you my image of hell, or heaven? Neither is of a place. Both are of states, states of perfect knowledge, such that one sees ones whole live clearly, with its good choices and bad choices and their good consequences and bad consequences. It'd be kind of like the visions in A Christmas Carol -- must-see holiday viewing imo. At least once.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry..but the really beautiful women all end up with guys like me--landed gentry:
shoemakr.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why would getting the leftovers of guys like me condemn guys like you to hell?
confused.gif

Better you than Tiger Woods.

Btw, have I told you my image of hell, or heaven? Neither is of a place. Both are of states, states of perfect knowledge, such that one sees ones whole live clearly, with its good choices and bad choices and their good consequences and bad consequences. It'd be kind of like the visions in A Christmas Carol -- must-see holiday viewing imo. At least once.

I've actually seen Hell, and it involves low grade gin at a party.

- B

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
They have a little shop in Harvard Square. Their hot chocolate is a great comfort to unattractive women throughout the Boston area.

- B

"You Lie!"

They cannot possibly produce so much chocolate.

mhdena

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
OP, thanks for your insight. Since you've been making points about durability, what is your opinion on adding a rubber topy to the sole of a leather shoe? And how about rubber soles in general?
Several years ago (15) I had apair of Ballys resoled, they did not fit the same as before. I asked the shoe repair guy about it and he suggested to use Topy on the next pair before they wear out. Well not only have I used Topy on the next pair but every pair of dress shoes I've bought since, if it wasn't there already, about a dozen pair. Brand new shoes get Topy!! I have a 12 year old pair of Ferragamo Walters that have been re-topied twice and look great and feel better having the same original fit. I never wear the same shoes 2 days in a row which having many pair helps
smile.gif
So I am a firm believer in Topy or Vibram BEFORE wearing them.

glenjay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfrider
... I hope we will be seeing more of your non-western pieces in the future, as I do like those very much indeed...

DW has been kind enough to agree to create a pair of brown wingtip oxford shoes for me. I am aware this process takes some time, so I am waiting patiently. Once I have the completed shoes in hand I plan to take detailed pictures of them and share them on this forum (if that is ok with DW).

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
"You Lie!"

They cannot possibly produce so much chocolate.

vox is overstating the case. really it's just unattractive women from cambridge, allston and watertown.

sfnapolifan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by glenjay
DW has been kind enough to agree to create a pair of brown wingtip oxford shoes for me. I am aware this process takes some time, so I am waiting patiently. Once I have the completed shoes in hand I plan to take detailed pictures of them and share them on this forum (if that is ok with DW).

measuring by mail? 1 year wait?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mhdena
Brand new shoes get Topy!!

rule of thumb - this is plain wrong.

glad it worked for you.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glen, Thank you for your patronage. I am looking forward to doing this pair. You are perfectly welcome to post photos of them.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Originally Posted by mhdena
Brand new shoes get Topy!!

rule of thumb - this is plain wrong.

glad it worked for you.

So why is it "plain wrong?"

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very noble of you to commission a pair to take them apart to show us what true craftsmanship is all about.

glenjay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfnapolifan
measuring by mail? 1 year wait?

Actually I live about 20 miles from DW, so I was able to get my feet measured in person. DW gave me an estimate of around 6 months or so.

Originally Posted by upnorth
Very noble of you to commission a pair to take them apart to show us what true craftsmanship is all about.

Sorry, I'm just not quite that noble. The deconstruction of the shoe will have to be done verbally, not literally. However if DW wants to take pictures during construction that would be fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics