• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most common sartorial mistakes the untrained make? (Scanning the room at a party)

MillionaireTeacher

Reaction score
A hawk-like creature swooping down to kill me.

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
The most common and stunning mistakes I see are bad shoes and ill fitting clothes. I attribute this to the lack of service that most men receive when shopping and the misconception that "dress shoes" are uncomfortable.

I'd alter this to say bad shoes and black suits, myself.

And to whoever mentioned jeans and black dress shoes, that's horrible.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Hair carefully made to look disheveled and partially covering face
Hair style with that wierd faux mohawk made of styling gel
Styling gel
Gorilla fist tie knots
French cuff shirts w/o links (Derek, you are not forgotten)
Earrings on men over 30
Neck tattoos
Seersucker suit in the winter
Matching tie and pocket square
White kiton jeans (was he banned or not?)
Rolex with dusts under glass
Popped collars
Suit with baseball hat backwards
Suit while wearing a backpack
Smuggle sack underneath the crotch of your pants
Manskirts
Tiger Woods Nike shirt

What a gag it must be living in the US of A.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
What a gag it must be living in the US of A.

It's a comical tragedy. Or perhaps even a tragical comedy.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Gorilla fist tie knots

everything else you can ignore, look away...but this one will haunt you the whole night. wherever you turn, it's there

168271108_4a18478d2f.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
everything else you can ignore, look away...but this one will haunt you the whole night. wherever you turn, it's there

168271108_4a18478d2f.jpg

foo.gif

negusnegas

Reaction score
I think there are only two real issues that strike me as terrible bad. One a person who just doesn't give a crap and two a person who is badly dressed, but swears they are really doing it.

M. Alden

Reaction score
Scanning a room you will see those who care little for their dress and those who care too much. Those who strike the right balance between these two obvious extremes are rarely seen.

Michael Alden
www.dresswithstyle.com

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to suits without ties, I think this can look fine with a suitably casual suit--e.g., a linen summer suit with patch pockets.

With the typical conservative worsted business suit, most men who go tieless will look like some doofus who just got out of the office for happy hour. There are some men who can look good wearing a business suit without a tie--almost invariably they possess sufficient good looks, panache and "cool" to pull it off. Such men will look good wearing almost anything. Few of us are such men.

I think an ascot with a business suit, as someone suggested, would look decidedly weird and sartoriallly anomalous.

Ubiquitous and odious is the tie pulled down and the top button of the shirt undone.

Still, if I had to name the most common mistake, it would be inappropriate and/or ill-maintained shoes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
There are some men who can look good wearing a business suit without a tie--almost invariably they possess sufficient good looks, panache and "cool" to pull it off. Such men will look good wearing almost anything. Few of us are such men.

Thank you for the kind words, Jan.

It is posts like this one that vindicates my advocacy of the case that you are the most knowledgable member of teh StyleForvm. (I use the "v" in "Forvm" in your honor, even though it is a lower case V and really, you only know Greek stuff. But, at least you know both kinds of Greek stuff.)

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads