1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The most common sartorial mistakes the untrained make? (Scanning the room at a party)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MillionaireTeacher, Dec 8, 2009.

1. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

everything else you can ignore, look away...but this one will haunt you the whole night. wherever you turn, it's there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. negusnegas

negusnegas Senior member

I think there are only two real issues that strike me as terrible bad. One a person who just doesn't give a crap and two a person who is badly dressed, but swears they are really doing it.

3. M. Alden

M. Alden Active Member

Scanning a room you will see those who care little for their dress and those who care too much. Those who strike the right balance between these two obvious extremes are rarely seen.

Michael Alden
    www.dresswithstyle.com

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

As to suits without ties, I think this can look fine with a suitably casual suit--e.g., a linen summer suit with patch pockets.

With the typical conservative worsted business suit, most men who go tieless will look like some doofus who just got out of the office for happy hour. There are some men who can look good wearing a business suit without a tie--almost invariably they possess sufficient good looks, panache and "cool" to pull it off. Such men will look good wearing almost anything. Few of us are such men.

I think an ascot with a business suit, as someone suggested, would look decidedly weird and sartoriallly anomalous.

Ubiquitous and odious is the tie pulled down and the top button of the shirt undone.

Still, if I had to name the most common mistake, it would be inappropriate and/or ill-maintained shoes.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

There are some men who can look good wearing a business suit without a tie--almost invariably they possess sufficient good looks, panache and "cool" to pull it off. Such men will look good wearing almost anything. Few of us are such men.

Thank you for the kind words, Jan.

It is posts like this one that vindicates my advocacy of the case that you are the most knowledgable member of teh StyleForvm. (I use the "v" in "Forvm" in your honor, even though it is a lower case V and really, you only know Greek stuff. But, at least you know both kinds of Greek stuff.)

- B