• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been seriously considering getting the Apolis x Filson bag in the next round of production coming up and showed it to a good female friend of mine to get her opinion of it. Her first reaction was to question if it was a female's bag instead of a male's briefcase because of the handle design on top. It actually took me a few minutes to convince her otherwise by showing her that Filson's is an old fishing/hunting company and they make mens goods. I'm curious if anyone who has that bag or the normal 256 has had similar experiences? Personally I really dislike "tote" style manbags because of this, but think filson's bags are more then masculine even with the handles the way they are.

Stax

Reaction score
Here is my 256. I've had it for about 2 years and carry it almost daily.
4157444386_1420272eed.jpg
4156684207_782fc4f342.jpg
I also have the small duffel in otter green. It is the perfect weekend/overnight bag IMO. I love them both.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Bing currently has 30% cashback for purchases with eBags which, as you would've guessed it, carries a decent selection of Filson bags. As a bonus, eBags also gives you $25 to spend on your next order. Click here, then find the link for eBags. So, a Filson 256 works out to be $136.5 before shipping. Not bad...

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Filson Canvas Tote, only used a few times, but I am sure it will hold up for years to come.

DSC02410.jpg

DSC02411.jpg

mulder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
PSA: Bing currently has 30% cashback for purchases with eBags which, as you would've guessed it, carries a decent selection of Filson bags. As a bonus, eBags also gives you $25 to spend on your next order. Click here, then find the link for eBags.

So, a Filson 256 works out to be $136.5 before shipping. Not bad...

If you visit eBags' website, they list Filson as an excluded brand from all coupons and promotions.

By the way, I'm still looking for someone to post good interior pictures of the 258 please.

Wilfried

Reaction score
I noticed the Filson exclusion too. Nevertheless I took a chance and placed an order this afternoon for a Filson wallet. I've already gotten an email notification from Bing, and my cashback account shows the 30% pending.

eBags has a generous return policy and pays for return shipping, so I figured there wasn't anything to lose by placing an order. If I didn't get the cashback award, I could simply return it. In the event, despite what the website seems to say, the cashback seems to work.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulder
If you visit eBags' website, they list Filson as an excluded brand from all coupons and promotions. By the way, I'm still looking for someone to post good interior pictures of the 258 please.
Originally Posted by Wilfried
I noticed the Filson exclusion too. Nevertheless I took a chance and placed an order this afternoon for a Filson wallet. I've already gotten an email notification from Bing, and my cashback account shows the 30% pending. eBags has a generous return policy and pays for return shipping, so I figured there wasn't anything to lose by placing an order. If I didn't get the cashback award, I could simply return it. In the event, despite what the website seems to say, the cashback seems to work.
eBags' own 20% discount is not applicable to Filson products, not Bing's cashback, which is an entirely separate thing. As a deal sweetener, open up a chat with an eBags agent and ask him to match the price of the bag to this link: http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-456p43669.htm. That should bring the total price of your 256 down to under $100. I've just made a purchase this way. Good luck.

Chauncey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
As a deal sweetener, open up a chat with an eBags agent and ask him to match the price of the bag to this link: http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...-456p43669.htm. That should bring the total price of your 256 down to under $100. I've just made a purchase this way. Good luck.

THANK YOU! I just used this mehtod and purchased a 257 for $109.97 shipped.

mulder

Reaction score
Cool, I went ahead and ordered the 257 as well. All they had was the Desert Tan, which is fine. How soon did you guys get the Bing Cashback email alerting you that it was accepted? As for the price matching, I was able to open a chat window with the sales rep and he credited me back the full difference to the site in the link above. Thanks! Update: I answered my own question. There's good and somewhat bad news. The good news is that I received the Bing Cashback money in my account as pending. The bad news is that it's for just 20% (not 30%). I'm getting $50 back from the $250 Filson 257. Granted, it's still an amazing deal, because in the end I'll have ended up paying ~$150 total. That's with price matching, Bing Cashback, and shipping.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dob
I wonder if that is something you could do yourself. Would another dye be able to overcome to original brown color on its own? I love the idea of these bags in colors other than the standard.

this would be interesting to explore. any thoughts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads