1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawrenceMD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. anonymouz

anonymouz Senior member

2. anonymouz

anonymouz Senior member

I knew these pics looked familiar...those were from when I was selling them almost a year ago.
    I still prefer the tan over the otter. I sold that 258 to get the 257 in tan.

I don't remember where I grabbed these pictures, otherwise I would give them proper credit. It might have been here or from a random Google search. I have them marked as a Filson 258 and the color appears to be Otter Green.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03624.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03625.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03626.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03627.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8-DSC03628.jpg

3. Dob

Dob Well-Known Member

You might also consider the new brown color. I have the 258 in brown and really like it. It fades very nicely and gets more of a patina (IMO) faster than the tan but still hides dirt really well. I continually get compliments on it.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Just got my 257 from Crane's.

Awesome seller and great bag. Looks and feels tough.

It's gonna be my go to beater bag, as it is originally intended.

5. patagoniacommunity

patagoniacommunity Active Member

what is the general consensus of the Filson otter green canvas? Does anybody own a bag in that colour? Thanks.
    I don't own the green (I have the 258 in tan) but it's a nice color. Frankly though out of the three colors, it would be third on my list. I love the way the tan ages and the contrast with the dark brown leather straps.

The brown, from what I've seen in pictures posted, really looks great. In addition, people who have the brown keep raving about it. If I was going to get a Filson that I would check in when flying, I would take the brown route.

The green ones I've seen that are older look a little too green (lighter green) when they age. Again, totally just one man's humble opinion and I'm sure there are green devotees out there who would differ. That's the beauty of having different color options I guess.

6. B_L

B_L New Member

It sounds like Crane's Country Store is a great sell. I look forward to ordering my 257 bag from them!

7. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Finally picked up my first Filson bag, a 258 in Tan. You guys weren't kidding about these things being built to last. I also really like the tan color, darker than I imagined which I consider a good thing as I was worried it might be too light.

I do think this bag is probably overkill for me size-wise so I think I'm going to try and trade it on B+S somehow for a 257 or even 256 in tan which should be just about right sized. Is the only size difference between the 257 and 258 the outside zip pocket on the 258 or is the main body different width as well?

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I just bought the medium travel bag and the medium duffle bag, both in tan. I like them. Lots. The medium duffle is enormous. It holds so much more than expected. You could probably fit a Mazda coupe in the Extra Large variety.

9. Aspiringtobe

Aspiringtobe Active Member

I just bought the 256 in tan for a daily use to and from work bag. I am a lawyer who carries documents frequently. Love it.

10. Miguel Alvarez

Miguel Alvarez Senior member

Got this a month ago from Crane's. The Filson large duffle bag. Wanted it in otter green first, but tan instead and I'm not disappointed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. alladin

alladin Senior member

Is there a difference in the medium field bag (232) and the small carry on bag (240) apart from the slight variation in dimensions?

12. torontolaker

torontolaker Senior member

just received my tan 222 from Crane's and I'm very happy with the bag and Crane's service. Highly recommended to all the other SF members.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Is there a difference in the medium field bag (232) and the small carry on bag (240) apart from the slight variation in dimensions?

Yes, there are some important differences:

240: zipper top (with lock), larger

232: open top, small pockets on the sides, double layer bottom, available in brown

14. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

anyone with tips on how to punch a nice clean hole in the shoulder strap? my 258 is wayyyy too long. im 5'11 but the thing drops low and slaps me arse as i walk

15. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

anyone with tips on how to punch a nice clean hole in the shoulder strap? my 258 is wayyyy too long. im 5'11 but the thing drops low and slaps me arse as i walk

A leather craft store should have a punch or someone who is willing to punch it for you. For the more adventurous: you can googles "Renaissance Fair" and find tons of weirdos to do it for exchange of mead, money or have group sex with.

16. JTK

JTK Senior member

Download a 50% off coupon from Michaels and buy a punch there. I just bought one for the same purpose. $5!

17. Trompe le Monde

A leather craft store should have a punch or someone who is willing to punch it for you. For the more adventurous: you can googles "Renaissance Fair" and find tons of weirdos to do it for exchange of mead, money or have group sex with.

thanks for also answering my planned follow-up question [​IMG]

18. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Figured this thread is probably the most appropriate.

I need some help. I think a pen leaked in my filson bag causing a stain in the corner.

It's pretty much dry. Just wondering if there's anyway of removing or at least reducing the stain?

Thanks for your help!

19. kontai69

kontai69 Senior member

Rather than punching more adjustment holes, I took a more laborious route and physically shortened the strap on my Filson bag. It turned out really well...

[​IMG]

It is quite simple if you have the tools and a brass "Chicago screw," which essentially is a rivot that is held with a screw rather than permanently pressed in with a tool. You can get them on eBay.

1) Cut the strap piece shown in the pic to the estimated length desired. I cut off around 5 inches from the end that attaches to the bag (again see pic). I used a razor blade to make a clean cut and a black Sharpie to recolor the cut end.
    2) Drill two holes using a conventional drill and bit. I used a drill bit which was slightly smaller in diameter than the Chicago screw. I then used a Dremel tool to enlarge the holes until the screw just fits through.
    3) Fold the strap end over and secured it with a Chicago screw. I used epoxy inside the screw to make sure it never comes unscrewed.

The result is a shorter strap that doesn't have a foot of "excess" strap flapping around as you would have if you just poked more adjustment holes. Just looks cleaner and looks almost completely stock, IMO. I was even anal enough to repeat the process on the other end just for visual symmetry.

I guess I could have punched more adjustment holes and simply just cut off the excess strap. However, I think it will be hard to replicate the original rounded end.

Anyways, just an alternative way to shorten the strap for those brave enough to try, have the necessary tools, and don't ever plan on reselling their bag.

I just love my 232 medium field bag. It is the perfect bag for me. Here is a pic (before the strap shortening, showing all the excess strap)...
    [​IMG]

20. Trompe le Monde

GREAT color on that bag.

found a stashed away dremel and some drill bits in the house last night. it did the job [​IMG]