• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for a New (Casual) Briefcase

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For years I've used a tan leather & khaki twill version of the Ghurka No. 5 / Examiner as my casual briefcase.

Below is a photo of a new one in all leather ...

It's a bit past time for a replacement ... and I'm looking.

I suppose I could purchase the current version ...
but am wondering if any of you have suggestions as to what other bags I might consider.

torontolaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
For years I've used a tan leather & khaki twill version of the Ghurka No. 5 / Examiner as my casual briefcase.

Below is a photo of a new one in all leather ...

but am wondering if any of you have suggestions as to what other bags I might consider.

I find the outside pockets pretty ugly.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by torontolaker
I find the outside pockets pretty ugly.
Delightful, but I care not.

I'm not really asking whether one likes or dislikes it. I'm looking for potential alternates.

Next?

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

What sort of price range and what/how many pockets do you need ?

Ever thought going MTM ?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
What sort of price range and what/how many pockets do you need ?

Ever thought going MTM ?

Price Range: open.

Pocket Preferences: one large central pocket and one or two smaller pockets (cell phone, pens, etc.) that can be secured ... and one large exterior pocket that remains open (to accommodate a newspaper).

I could go MTM ... suggestions?

ajv

Reaction score
I'd say that for convenience reasons Vox's idea could work, except that it looks like a fancy-leather workshop (not sure about the exact translation, "maroquinerie" in french), which implies a different sort of stitching on thinner leather.
I was thinking of the work of a saddler, like the one in the following link :

http://www.olivierdemestral.ch/

Who does only bespoke and speaks english as well.

ajv

Reaction score
and RSS if I'm not mistaken you are a architect ? Then there is something on his site you should really like..........

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions:

-Are the Ettinger bags made in the UK?

-The Ghurka Barrister, has the production also been outsourced to Asia or is it still US made?

citoyen

Reaction score
maybe on the lower end of "price doesnt matter" but still a very nice bag
smile.gif
. there was a thread about it Globetrotter/Amberg by rach. you can still get it, price even dropped.

t

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Why not go with a local option?
I forgot about April in Paris. I just called. They currently have a "soft" briefcase in alligator ... at $9800. Calf would be significantly less.

Of course, this is not my dress briefcase ... and I tend to be rather rough with it. I'll need to consider if I really want to move into that price range/quality/construction given the way I use this bag.

In any event, it was suggested that I bring my bag over and talk. Sounds like an idea. Even if they don't do the bag ... there are stocking stuffers to be had!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I have soft spot for the SAB Westminster but it doesn't have external pockets.
SAB would certainly be in the running. Very nice bag ... even without external pockets.

Originally Posted by academe
Would you be willing to consider another fabric/leather bag? The Ettingers are interesting, too.
I didn't get past looking at the SAB ... but I do like the twill ... so will take a look.

BTW ... nice to see you here!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads