• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone have any info on the Filson/Apolis Activism bag?

ichobi

Reaction score
I doubt that Philantrophy part is anything but a marketing tools. I was so hyped with this bag and almost about to shell out my hard earned cash. What's more I live in the UK which means I have to pay for the shipping/ and likely import tax. Thanks to you guys you have just saved me big bucks. Now I can look and spend it on quality leather tote rather than buying from some dodgy business brothers who dare to spit in the customers face.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lesson here is: don't pay a premium for hype and manufactured exclusivity.

If you give a **** about charitable giving, find an organization that does not profit off it and give directly.

If you're interested in helping the people of Uganda check out these guys. They're totally legit and embody the best of a progressive and open minded religious faith. They also make a lot of their money selling holiday wreaths and dried fruit so its a good time of year to buy. Knock a couple of the easy gifts off your shopping list.
http://www.starcross.org/aids-africa.htm

arced

Reaction score
I know this thread has turned to hammering AA, but I'm wonder what Filson's role in the re-issuing is. Anyone know? I'm a bit surprised that a representative from either hasn't chimed in.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arced
I know this thread has turned to hammering AA, but I'm wonder what Filson's role in the re-issuing is. Anyone know? I'm a bit surprised that a representative from either hasn't chimed in.
I think Filson is pretty blameless here. No one is hammering on them either - in fact, a lot of people are saying they will buy straight from Filson instead.

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
I think Filson is pretty blameless here. No one is hammering on them either - in fact, a lot of people are saying they will buy straight from Filson instead.

I didn't mean to imply that Filson was getting hammered by anyone or that they should be blamed, but it's also their product so if people are hating on it then they'd probably care.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
breakz posted on the random fashion thread that apolis has a new bag for spring without filson and some leather belts.

we should just change the name to this thread, "SF BANS APOLIS ACTIVISM"

puddin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
The lesson here is: don't pay a premium for hype and manufactured exclusivity.

wise advice

Originally Posted by NorCal
If you give a **** about charitable giving, find an organization that does not profit off it and give directly.

If you're interested in helping the people of Uganda check out these guys. They're totally legit and embody the best of a progressive and open minded religious faith. They also make a lot of their money selling holiday wreaths and dried fruit so its a good time of year to buy. Knock a couple of the easy gifts off your shopping list.
http://www.starcross.org/aids-africa.htm

I agree that with the sentiment about donating to charities, but I think it's a great thing for companies to use socially conscious manufacturing techniques, and there is nothing wrong with advertising that you do it. And it's a great thing to vote with your dollars and support companies that engage in these practices. Whether or not AA is a reputable company is a separate thing entirely.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
breakz posted on the random fashion thread that apolis has a new bag for spring without filson and some leather belts.
The belts will cost more than Billykirk and come in 10 "limited runs" of 20.
devil.gif

tim_pnin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhoo04
What a marketing/PR nightmare. It's funny how EASILY AA could rectify this situation and possibly save the name of their brand on this forum.

They pimped their customers and their retailers in the pursuit of profit. Their customers and retailers are part of a fairly small community that communicates with each other regularly. And now people are mad enough that the scales have dropped from their eyes: for instance, one can now see that one can get this $350 look

1311.jpg

by turning one's ****** J Crew merino wool crew-neck inside out. I don't care if this sweater was made by Anne Frank and Jesus in a suburb of Kabul: you will still look like a douche with it on.

I don't really see any way for these guys to fix this ****-up; but the surest way would probably be to start producing clothing that isn't absurd looking.

shasta

Reaction score
I did not buy this bag on the basis of Philanthropy - I bought it because I favored the color (black) vs. the colors that filson sells - and I knew that I wouldn't look like every other dirty hipster with a filson with this exclusive color.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread delivers.

JO3B

Reaction score
when do we get to start talking about those awful black waxed or whatever cotton jackets that all fit horribly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics