• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for 1920s-Style Suits - Any Recommendations?

RetroPiano

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a suit that looks like it is from the 1920s. A modern reproduction would do just fine; no need for it to actually be a hundred years old. Does anyone know any good online shops for finding suits that look like they are from that era? Unfortunately, a lot of what I find online is very cheap and looks like it is a bad costume. I don't want anything that looks like a caricature of gangsters from the '20s or '30s. My goal is to find something which looks reasonably authentic, hopefully without breaking the bank. Anything over $500 would be out of my comfort zone. Men's USA actually has quite a few suits which look a bit like what I'm after, but I've read a lot of horror stories about how bad their service is. Again, an inexpensive modern suit would be fine as long as it has a vintage pattern and cut similar to the 1920s. Are there any places you would recommend? I have been doing some research and I did find a few sites, especially for tweed suits, but I am a real novice when it comes to buying suits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to find anything you describe for under $500. That being said, these two clothiers make authentic suits that you might find on sale but they will still be way over $500. I think your best bet would be to search eBay for RRL suits in a vintage cut, you might get lucky. I found a fantastic new RRL pin stripe '30s suit for $400, retail was north of $2000.

Simon James Cathcart
Kai D.

RetroPiano

Reaction score
I don't think you are going to find anything you describe for under $500. That being said, these two clothiers make authentic suits that you might find on sale but they will still be way over $500. I think your best bet would be to search eBay for RRL suits in a vintage cut, you might get lucky. I found a fantastic new RRL pin stripe '30s suit for $400, retail was north of $2000.

Simon James Cathcart
Kai D.

Thanks for the tip and links, John. I may need to just settle for something which looks "close enough" to a 1920s suit without it being an intentional reproduction of the style of that era. Three-piece tweed suits might get the vintage look I'm after without it costing an arm and a leg. Or maybe, as you say, I'll get lucky and find something on sale.

willyto

Reaction score
Check these ones for a more workwear vibe if you want, depends on the fabric really. From Old Town the trousers would be the Vauxhalls.

You can also try searching for Ralph Lauren suits on Ebay, some of the older stuff is more faithfull and some even have higher rises.

Also if you want a classic looking 20s suit, some vintage three piece suits from Brooks Brothers from the 50s or 60s are basically the same cut, unchanged. Just have to look through hundreds of items on Ebay.

Don't bother looking for originals, they are rare, scarce and very very expensive, also american ones have a very low rise unfortunately.

Simon James Cathcart that was linked above has made a lot of 1910s-1920s inspired suits. I own quite a few of them personally and they are great options for the price. The problem is that these styles are more niche than the 30s or 40s inspired suits so they aren't sold as often.

RetroPiano

Reaction score
Check these ones for a more workwear vibe if you want, depends on the fabric really. From Old Town the trousers would be the Vauxhalls.

You can also try searching for Ralph Lauren suits on Ebay, some of the older stuff is more faithfull and some even have higher rises.

Also if you want a classic looking 20s suit, some vintage three piece suits from Brooks Brothers from the 50s or 60s are basically the same cut, unchanged. Just have to look through hundreds of items on Ebay.

Don't bother looking for originals, they are rare, scarce and very very expensive, also american ones have a very low rise unfortunately.

Simon James Cathcart that was linked above has made a lot of 1910s-1920s inspired suits. I own quite a few of them personally and they are great options for the price. The problem is that these styles are more niche than the 30s or 40s inspired suits so they aren't sold as often.

Thank you very much for the ideas and advice!

joman8390

Reaction score
A bit over your budget but I think these may get you close to what you’re looking for:

RetroPiano

Reaction score
A bit over your budget but I think these may get you close to what you’re looking for:

Ah yes, that is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. Thank you. I have been thinking a 3 piece tweed suit might be a good way to get a more vintage look and I found a couple places like Empire Outlet and Etsy which have some very good-looking examples, but they have mixed reviews which make me nervous, especially when ordering overseas. I am starting to wonder if I should just try to find somewhere local where I can be sure the sizing will be right and there won't be any headache with shipping. In any case, Thomas Farthing looks like a great option and a trustworthy vendor, so thanks very much for that recommendation.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think over time you could dial Luxire fits into the desired profile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads