• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Rake" magazine

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dappledown
Alright, Singapore Gents. I'm planning to start a shoe club here in Singapore (in fact, anything sartorial can be the order of the day)

I've already sounded out some of the English shoe makers and the response thus far has been positive.

If 'The Rake' is from Singapore I don't see how we should not have something to live up to it.

There's a time for Flip flops and there's a time for a balmoral boot with beveled waists.

PM me and lets make it happen and not let APEC steal the limelight from the REAL issues.

Good luck.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alright, Singapore Gents. I'm planning to start a shoe club here in Singapore (in fact, anything sartorial can be the order of the day)

I've already sounded out some of the English shoe makers and the response thus far has been positive.

If 'The Rake' is from Singapore I don't see how we should not have something to live up to it.

There's a time for Flip flops and there's a time for a balmoral boot with beveled waists.

PM me and lets make it happen and not let APEC steal the limelight from the REAL issues.

Right, first thing on your agenda should be to relocate all members to a location with more agreeable climate for sartorial goodness.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
& eliminated the sing song lah laaaah la

dappledown

Reaction score
Yup, like i suspected... any 'sartorial' obstacle in Singapore's got nothing to do with the climate. just the people. (I type this while I am sitting here in my showroom with the airconditioning blasting at a 'balmy' 16 degrees celcius and wearing my heavy linen sports jacket, wool pants and tan brogue boots...wishing for gloves)

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do see the irony in the statement.

If it has nothing to do with the climate, you should be dressed as you described, with gloves no less, outdoors instead of being in a temperature and humidity controlled "climate".

dappledown

Reaction score
ahhh.

I do see the irony but thats not exactly the point I'm making.

i like to dress up.

and i recently find myself actually spending more time indoors just to be able to do so.

I used to be the same as most Singaporeans, laughing at those poor fellas who had to wear suits for work and looking miserable once out on the streets. (Hey i used to be a PE teacher. My everday workwear was shorts and tees!)

So if we are simply talking about practicality and not my new found sartorial interest...

then Yes since i spent most of my time outdoors, its true that sartorial adventures were not something i would try to pursue!

now that i am working and spending most of my time in a commercial building, I find myself having to don extra layers because of the climate indoors, artificial or not.

But now, instead of grabbing the nearest cardigan or nylon windbreaker, i go to a heavy linen jacket or even a seersucker summer jacket.

I don't have the opportunity to relocate to another place where the 'climate' would be more suitable so I make do. So i Suggest a Shoe club cos hey everyone needs nice shoes!

but i digress. i simply love buying and wearing nice shoes! wahahaha

Hobbs

Reaction score
Received my pristine copy of Issue 5 from chobochobo today - great service for what is pretty much a thankless task given the effort he went to.

dappledown

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Most of us know code-switching. (if not, i don't think I'll be able to get my fried carrot cake, extra crispy, from my friendly food center guy.) I also THINK that PG is just joking since he is a frequent visitor to Singapore. I'm sure he's met Sg citizens who can speak good English when they want to. AND there's always the official mascot of the "speak good english" campaign to remind us about how important English is to us Singaporeans. (Google: Ris Low)
Originally Posted by apropos
What a churlish comment; every country has its own patois - Singaporeans, Aussies, Hongkongers, everyone - and should not have to apologise for it, least of all to Australians.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Hah, nice find

haha - no agents! no real estate agents!
laugh.gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The five #6's that I bought have sold and been shipped. I shipped a couple of 5 and 6's together, and they turned out to be more than twice the shipping for one magazine. Who knew? Also, Canada remains the most expensive place in the world to ship.

Francisco

Reaction score

Hey, I am a Singaporean too and very much interested in nice shoes. It is a pity that right now we don't seems to have a lot of good brands aka SF approved brand featured in Singapore.

Glad to see Berluti, Church started this year. Hope to see more to come.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
The five #6's that I bought have sold and been shipped. I shipped a couple of 5 and 6's together, and they turned out to be more than twice the shipping for one magazine. Who knew? Also, Canada remains the most expensive place in the world to ship.

It's very hard to predict the shipping. Sometimes, when you ship two magazines, you are forced to "upgrade" your shipping choices to the next best option when the combined weight and dimensions hit a certain limit, upon which can cost 3-4 times more. That's why some people choose to ship them in 2 packages instead of one.

It's a real ***** shipping to Canada, IMHO. My postal service charge about the same as shipping to Greenland. I wonder if this is the reason why The Rake doesn't want Canadian subscribers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads