• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic, not that bad

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread should be bronzed and placed on the SF mantle.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartre864
Silly me, how could I forget that infallible credibility comes standard with a high post count?
Or conversely the circle-jerk that comes from outsiders with "better things to do" who always see the forest through the trees... It's not black and white. Stop treating it as such, people.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man, reading this was worth it.

Naf Nasitra

Reaction score
Another stroll down memory lane.

Originally Posted by jet
I like it, but then again I'm partial to cardigans and other knits. I also like the banana republic shawl collar cardigan.

Originally Posted by whodini
What single article of clothing that you own represents you the most and why? I'm thinking along the lines of an piece that not only you identify with, but that if a stranger found this piece he would get the closest idea of what kind of persona/habits/etc. belong to you. I figured this would be interesting for those with massive closets and those with constantly-updated wardrobes, as well as those who stick with what they know and love.

Originally Posted by jet
My piece is an old pair of medium gray banana republic khakis. Back when I got about 7 years ago they were some of the nicest pants I owned as well as the slimmest. I remembered thinking how slim I thought they were and it was really bizarre. They gradually worn in over time and became ridiculously soft as well as yellowing in the thigh and knee area. I wore them out everywhere after awhile and possibly a few times a week. They became my go to pants and were getting thin as well as softer with every wash. They finally started to tear in a couple places and my gf would always ***** about me wearing them all the time but I couldn't find anything worthy to replace them for the life of me.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't see the point of naf's argument. jet already pointed out he doesn't talk about the merits of banana republic anymore (in case you can't follow logic this would imply he doesn't think br has merits worth discussing).

maybe he thought br was the **** back then. is he not allowed to learn and discover that there are better **** and that in comparison br is pretty much crap design and construction wise relative to its price? isn't that what this forum is for?

refinery

Reaction score
This is hilarious.

Some people would rather splurge on clothes, electronics, automobiles, etc.

Does it honestly matter?

I've seen people who show of their Patek Philippe watches and wear Brioni suits, but they don't look any good. They look like people who don't have anything except the clothes on their back to make any good impression.

Anyways, the more pathetic side in this argument are the people exhibiting elitism because they sport RLPL items and can't imagine themselves wearing anything that could be bought in their local mall. Neiman Marcus for me only!

EDIT: Oh, a good comparison is how elitist audiophiles can only listen to their music when they use their Stax headphones attached to a pre-amp and an amplifier.

No one needs a 5k set up to listen to FLACs to enjoy their music. They act disgusted when they cannot listen to their freestyle jazz going through equipment that takes up a whole cabinet. I'm sorry that I didn't spend thousands on Red Wine Audio products to hear songs. I must be a horrible person.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he churns butter in margiela, I can't imagine the kind of punishment those BR knits went through.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you guys doing on STYLEforum?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
HITLER: Not that bad

Suicmez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by refinery
This is hilarious.

Some people would rather splurge on clothes, electronics, automobiles, etc.

Does it honestly matter?

I've seen people who show of their Patek Philippe watches and wear Brioni suits, but they don't look any good. They look like people who don't have anything except the clothes on their back to make any good impression.

Anyways, the more pathetic side in this argument are the people exhibiting elitism because they sport RLPL items and can't imagine themselves wearing anything that could be bought in their local mall. Neiman Marcus for me only!

EDIT: Oh, a good comparison is how elitist audiophiles can only listen to their music when they use their Stax headphones attached to a pre-amp and an amplifier.

No one needs a 5k set up to listen to FLACs to enjoy their music. They act disgusted when they cannot listen to their freestyle jazz going through equipment that takes up a whole cabinet. I'm sorry that I didn't spend thousands on Red Wine Audio products to hear songs. I must be a horrible person.

A lot of people on this forum don't care about price, they care about quality. Some of the best dressed posters here wear some of the most inexpensive clothing, elitism has nothing to do with it. The reason most people here hate on BR is because there are so many better options in that price range, like Uniqlo, JCrew or Gap. Same reason people here hate on Gucci, D&G and the like... its all about the name, and the fact that it's almost lazy.. the designers have gotten lazy because they can fall back on their already established name and people will still buy their pieces, all because of the name. Other designers actually put inspired work into their garments, and it takes a keen eye to see beyond all the BS of labels and marketing to actually find a cool, quality piece. Same reason people buy Bose, they don't have a ******* clue about speakers and the sound quality they offer, they just hear Bose's name, so they think it's the best.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are people coming to SF to discuss Banana Republic? There is nothing interesting about it. I am sure they produce acceptable blue shirts and khakis that I could wear without feeling humiliated. So what? If you need that for work, you can pick up stacks of it when they blow it out for almost free.

Dress head to toe in BR if you like. You will probably look like a corporate extrusion of bland, safe, ubiquitous "style."

For most of us the point of SF is to try to do better than that -- to find things that are more interesting, offer better value and will be all around more satisfying. We are tired of buying mediocre **** and then replacing it before long with some other mediocre **** when we realize that it really didn't deliver. That is expensive and stupid.

SF can help break you out of that loop by letting you know what is out there beyond the mall.

When people say BR is not that bad, I say who cares? 7th grade wasn't that bad, but I am not going back. BR will probably produce one or two decent things now and then. Good for them. I don't care.

FWIW, BR produces good loafer socks that SF routinely recommends. BR gets credit where it is due.

Full disclosure: not long ago I wore horrible **** that fit me badly. I had no idea at the time. I try not to do that anymore.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Naf is just being his usual marital aid self and his ***** ass is still mad my Lakers won the championship.

Last time I bought anything from BR was maybe around 2001 ish when I switched from abercrombie (gasp!) Uh oh now my nut swinging friend is going spending his lonely nights digging up some posts about I used to wear abercrombie at UCLA lulz. I had it all because I got **** for dirt cheap through my brother, cashmeres, coats, pants, shoes you name it as shocking as that sounds. Ever since I started buying it in 97 I always wondered why it fit like garbage and sweaters pilled, shirts fit like dresses, etc. but I didn't really understand the problem I thought that's just how clothes fit.

I moved on from there to my gucci/dolce/armani phase from there around 02 which was for going out and my day uniform consisted of 3 pairs of banana khakis, white tees, and af1s that I wore into the ground. I even had a monarchy shirt when they first came out that my girl bought me. First margiela purchase came in 06 after seeing and reading about him before but not getting it until then. So in other words, I have first hand experience when I say it is pure garbage. I do, however, still have a br chunky cashmere ecru scarf that I like (**** jet serious?!).

/your lives

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
monarchy to margiela is quite a jump

there's hope for you others yet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads