• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic, not that bad

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not saying people shouldn't post conflicting opinions. But people such as jet come into threads like this and regurgitate the same lines without fail EVERY time a new one pops up.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
But the thing is it IS that bad. The quality is awful. Sweaters pill like they're racing toward non-wearability.
Disagree. Of all the reasons to hate BR, of which there are many, quality is stretching it. Quality on the knits is no different than middling designerish **** (APC, rag and bone and the like). Wouldn't surprise me if they all came from the same factory. BR and Gap quality is way better than H&M and the like b/c the types of middling Americans who shop at BR expect their clothes to last a few seasons. I also agree with Jet that BR is not really worth discussing. It fits a niche.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Yes that's it, I secretly like banana republic we've some some regular ol freuds in here. jarude why don't you piss off to honestforum if you like swinging from banana nuts all day? BB1 I think you have a crush on BR like these idiots seem to think.
Hahaha... I simply find it amusing to try and understand the huge appeal of this poor brand. I generally find interest in discussing almost any topic, provided an abstract conceptual angle can be attached to it. I will admit I am not like many other people I know in this regard, but there is no hidden psychological agenda involving me having a secret crush on BR's clothing. That's just idiotic. There is nothing wrong with the BR lovers posting here. I think the differing opinions makes things interesting. However, you should expect some criticism. This is no different than posting awful pictures in the WAYWN thread and then saying "if you don't like it, just remain quiet". Not going to happen! So only leave for honestforum if you can't handle the criticism.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^tell that to apk who apparently thinks I'm furious, no need to pollute the forum further where do we draw the line?

My MONSTER garbage thread or perhaps a peasant subforum would be perfect for these conveyor belt fashion discussions about quarter zip argyles and pipe leg trousers.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Disagree. Of all the reasons to hate BR, of which there are many, quality is stretching it. Quality on the knits is no different than middling designerish **** (APC, rag and bone and the like). Wouldn't surprise me if they all came from the same factory. BR and Gap quality is way better than H&M and the like b/c the types of middling Americans who shop at BR expect their clothes to last a few seasons.

Rag & Bone is overpriced but you can't be serious unless by the following sentence you're suggesting BR gets their fabrics and does their cut and sew in New York.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rag and bone's knits are made in China. And I may be displaying my age, but "made in America" is not a synonym for quality despite the contentions of certain bloggers.

"Quality" is one of the stupider justifications for spending. Right up there with "authenticity."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
rag and bone's knits are made in China. And I may be displaying my age, but "made in America" is not a synonym for quality despite the contentions of certain bloggers.

"Quality" is one of the stupider justifications for spending. Right up there with "authenticity."

IME, Rag & Bone quality varies. However, I'd say that in general, the pieces are considerably higher quality than BR, and in some cases, the materials really set them apart. For example (and I don't own this piece), the R&B cashmere/cotton henley from FW08 was stupendous, made in China or otherwise. Similarly, there was a jacket made from an indigo, selvedge edge hopsack like material that really stands out. And although overpriced at $175, R&B put out a really nice loopwheeled crewneck sweatshirt this FW.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I don't own anything from this season, but I have stretchy knits that are now 2 years old and look basically brand new...

same with the jackets I own. I also think their jean construction is stupendous.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teger what would you know with your 10k posts here and having handled a wide range of brands

/ sarcasm

It's BR I don't get how people are arguing this.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Before joining SF, I used to shop almost exclusively at BR. I'll agree that the designs really haven't changed in years, and I have grown to truly despise half-zip sweaters. Yes, the colors have gotten worse, too. A quick look through the website and I can't see anything that sets it apart from JC Penney. The slim fit shirts fit well, but honestly, the materials suck. I can remember several shirts looking horrible after one or two washes.

+100

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME most brands have high quality products and some not so great items.
I bought some R&B pieces on Gilt that were pretty bad, but I have some boots and a bag that are the highest quality pieces I own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads