• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
The much speculated decimation of the publishing industry would be a bad thing IMHO, yet inevitable if it went massively down the electronic path.
Also, one which I can't see: when/if ebooks become hugely popular, won't the publishing industry suffer from illegal download sites, just as the recording industry has with Pirate Bay et al?
I'm sure the storage capacities and novelty of e-readers is enticing, but who wouldn't prefer a durable, 'living' paperback?

I wouldn't, but e-readers are there yet for comfort and readability There's also the issue of typesetting. My Modern Library copy of "Of Human Bondage" is wonderfully readable; later versions I've seen aren't. The typesetting is changed to fit more words per page, and 20 paragraphs are pushed into one. If e-readers can avoid this, or let the reader choose, cool; if file size is all, I'll look elsewhere.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
...compared to reading a good trade paperback, e-ink has a ways to go.

No kidding. For practical reasons, not to mention waste of paper, I should have bought an e-reader of some sort months ago. But the type is not black on white. It's gray on gray. I figure in a year or so...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I don't understand is that it is relaxing to read a book. At least for me, Reading a book creates a separation from my work where I look at a computer screen all day. Not sure why I'd want to change that in favor of looking at another computer screen.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
I'm sure the storage capacities and novelty of e-readers is enticing, but who wouldn't prefer a durable, 'living' hardcover?

My thoughts exactly.

I can't dog-ear an e-reader's pages, make notations and diacritic scribbles on words, smell the first opening of the book or hear the plosive close after the last sentence.

On a more practical level, e-readers are not organic and all the limitations of such devices eclipse their additional merits.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would like e-reader for peridocals, too many magazine holding up spaces. As far as book goes, hum, for novel/fictiction what not I will keep in e-format, but for textbook I would want real book (have the tendency to write crap on textbook).

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a video a few weeks ago of a book printer (developed by Google and someone?) that could print and bind a book in minutes. That may be an option for those of you who want a "real live" book if eBooks become the default format (something I don't see happening for a while yet if ever as it's just another option).

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

Eventually digital reading will be the standard, but the traditional method will still exist as an artisan good.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Also, with the inclusion of USB you can upload your own eBooks. That's huge. If it only had a backlight I'd be all over it.

+1

Someday I'll buy an e-reader but I get the majority of my books from the library. So I really don't want to buy my books.

My main reason for an e-reader would be for trips. With an e-reader you can put a bunch of books in the space a single hard cover book would take. When ever I travel I always have 3 - 5 books with me.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is something about holding a book that just isn't matched by a computer. Especially by those of us who live in hurricane zones: when the power goes off, books are de rigueur. If I had to use an e-reader device I would be SOL, since after the storm there is often several days of power outage and I have nowhere to recharge the device.

The Swede

Reaction score
I think Neal Stephenson has the right idea in The Diamond Age. In short, he desribes a future where nano-technology has been mastered. This has distintegrated nation borders and allowed people to create their own associations, or tribes. One of the most successful tribes is called the Victorians. They have re-adapted the moral and social code of the Victorian era. Their most interesting idiosyncrisy in a world where materials can be forged from atoms and nanocomputers and screens can be put on anything is that they insist on making things by hand. The higher up in society you are, the more "real" handmade items you will have. The highest officials have the honor of recieving a newspaper, printed on real paper. The implication being that they can afford to retain the services of information analysts who sift through the enormous amounts of information available and compile a collection of pertinent items.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Swede
I think Neal Stephenson has the right idea in The Diamond Age. In short, he desribes a future where nano-technology has been mastered. This has distintegrated nation borders and allowed people to create their own associations, or tribes. One of the most successful tribes is called the Victorians. They have re-adapted the moral and social code of the Victorian era. Their most interesting idiosyncrisy in a world where materials can be forged from atoms and nanocomputers and screens can be put on anything is that they insist on making things by hand. The higher up in society you are, the more "real" handmade items you will have. The highest officials have the honor of recieving a newspaper, printed on real paper. The implication being that they can afford to retain the services of information analysts who sift through the enormous amounts of information available and compile a collection of pertinent items.

Well, that sort of exists now. Not to the extent you mentioned, but handmade items tend to cost more simply because they are handmade. Take a quartz Timex and a Patek. The Timex will also be more precise than the Patek, yet the Patek cost infinitely more because it is for the most part handmade. The same can be said for furniture, etc...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is going to be my birthday present this year. I need one for traveling - reading material is often more of what I carry, in terms of weight, then clothes.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
this is going to be my birthday present this year. I need one for traveling - reading material is often more of what I carry, in terms of weight, then clothes.
Make sure to post up a review when you get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads