• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The Apple device, if it turns out to be real, will be a full computer style tablet, not just a reader. Basically, a giant iPhone.
I'd actually line up to buy one of these if it does come to fruition and costs less than, say, $800. Looks like the assumption is early next year, rather before the holidays which is too bad. I don't have an ipod (or any MP3 player), a smartphone, or an e-reader--I'm not into carrying a bunch of devices and don't want to pay a big surcharge on a data package every month for myself and my wife. But one device for reading (work and pleasure), web surfing, occasional video, some games, etc, with a big enough (say 5"-7") screen would be great. I wouldn't really care, but a basic built-in camera would be great. It could be perfect for Howard Yount trunk shows, too.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I'd actually line up to buy one of these if it does come to fruition and costs less than, say, $800. Looks like the assumption is early next year, rather before the holidays which is too bad. I don't have an ipod (or any MP3 player), a smartphone, or an e-reader--I'm not into carrying a bunch of devices and don't want to pay a big surcharge on a data package every month for myself and my wife. But one device for reading (work and pleasure), web surfing, occasional video, some games, etc, with a big enough (say 5"-7") screen would be great. I wouldn't really care, but a basic built-in camera would be great. It could be perfect for Howard Yount trunk shows, too.
If they pull it off like that it really would be the ultimate media device. I'm in the same boat as you and am hedging my bets with this one. I need to jump in somewhere and get an all in one device so I don't have to carry a bunch of crap around.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123

I want to know when it comes out too! Not so much for the actual device (yes it will be awesome), but to buy stock and then dump it as soon as Apple stock hits a new high after they make the announcement and it sells like hot cakes.

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
The Nook's WiFi, MicroSD slot and Android roots are good indications the device might not be able to impose some Draconian copy protection scheme. I've been trying to discover who designs and builds it for B&N to see whether the answer is Plastic Logic. If so, this reader won't be nearly as confined and confining as the Kindle. The eReader I've been watching all year is Plastic Logic's QUE, which they claim will debut on January 17, 2010. Originally, Plastic Logic was the sole eBook creator tied in with B&N, and B&N will be selling the QUE as well as the Nook. Unless drastic changes have been made, the QUE will use WiFi to download nearly anything: books from Project Gutenberg (as well as your public library), Acrobat files, word docs and even Excel spreadsheets. The company was founded by two academics entranced with printable plastic circuit boards, which the QUE uses, are less expensive to produce than assembled circuit boards and require less power as well. The QUE was originally conceived for business users, which is why it's designed to open practically any file you'd want.

bkk

Reaction score
Word has it that Foxconn manufactures the nook. I haven't been able to find the designer, but I wouldn't be surprised if B&N hired or contracted a design firm. Amazon did something similar with the Kindle with Lab 126.

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
Too bad, really. The QUE might be too large for some people, but so far, it seems better than the Kindle, the nook or even the Sony readers.

Eventually, I think, a version of the tablet might take the place of this and future readers, in the sense that the smartphone has been usurping media players for the past three years. Why shouldn't a device suitable for reading book and magazine files also allow you to write, take notes, watch flicks and open other user content? What's the point of carrying around four devices when two -- your phone and either a tablet or a small laptop -- can do everything you need?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fidgeteer
Too bad, really. The QUE might be too large for some people, but so far, it seems better than the Kindle, the nook or even the Sony readers.

Eventually, I think, a version of the tablet might take the place of this and future readers, in the sense that the smartphone has been usurping media players for the past three years. Why shouldn't a device suitable for reading book and magazine files also allow you to write, take notes, watch flicks and open other user content? What's the point of carrying around four devices when two -- your phone and either a tablet or a small laptop -- can do everything you need?

Unless it's got an e-ink screen, i know i wouldn't want to read off a tablet.

Fidgeteer

Reaction score
Why couldn't a tablet have an e-ink screen? After all, everyone, including Amazon, has been working on a color version.

But I think I see what you're saying: A screen best suited for videos might not be best for reading. But even then, I'd think a tablet optimized for reading should also be good for writing and various other activities. Amazon and B&N both want their customers to be able to read virtual magazines, and those involve color photography and brightly colored pages.

We're heading for convergence eventually. It's a question of which flavors we'll see in our lifetimes, I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics