• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I think you meant wrapped. Raped is to have or have been sexually assaulted.

Ah, yes I see...Sorry about that. I did mean wrapped. Just blame the whole foreign thing....

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wings + Pizza + Beer + Whiskey. I've been eating real bad lately -- no time to cook.
frown.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Wings + Pizza + Beer + Whiskey. I've been eating real bad lately -- no time to cook.
frown.gif

I like your new avatar though...

K

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wings, carrot and celery sticks, and fresh baked oatmeal/walnut/cranberry cookies for an evening of watching great football games.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, this will be a long post. Our first attempt at brisket in our new Cook Shack Smokette. First, let me post the recipe/methodology, for about a 10# packer's cut:
Marinade ½ cup orange juice ½ cup coke 1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper 1-½ tbsp. celery salt 1-½ tbsp. cinnamon 1-½ tbsp. sea salt 1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper 1-½ tbsp. oregano Place the brisket and marinade in a pan and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours. Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. Rub 1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper 1-½ tbsp. celery salt 1 tbsp. chili powder 1-½ tbsp. sea salt 1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper 1-½ tbsp. oregano While the brisket is coming to room temperature, apply rub. Smoke-cook at 225 degrees F for 12 hours with ½ hickory and ½ oak wood. Turn smoker temperature control to 150 degrees F. Finishing Sauce Rub 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/8 c. honey 1/8 c. orange juice 1/8 c. ketchup Remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket. Pour finishing sauce over the brisket. Wrap securely. Place in smoker for 1 hour at 150 degrees F. Remove brisket from smoker and open the foil to let steam escape. Let rest for 20 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Baste and serve with accumulated juices.
So here's pics of the brisket marinading: Fat side up:
IMG_0214.jpg
I took out of the fridge after seven hours, flipped fat side down, let set on the counter to start bringing up to room temp:
IMG_0215.jpg
Rub on, ready to start its first 12 hour stretch:
IMG_0216.jpg
I put it in the Smokette at 9:30 last night, and just let it run all night. Here it is, 12 hours later. The dark coating, or what BBQ/smoker people call "bark" looking great. You can see one little spot where grease pooled (upper left side) but that's nothing to worry about.
IMG_0217.jpg
Now it is in the Smokette at 150 for an hour "finishing" with some finishing sauce. I couldn't resist taking just a little slice to taste:
IMG_0219.jpg
Incredibly succulent and tender. More photos coming. Okay, all done. Resting now, before slicing, but I took another nice taste. The finishing sauce adds nicely.
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg
This is the moistest, best seasoned brisket I have ever tasted. What makes it really incredible is, this is the first time I've ever made a brisket, the second time I've used my new Smokette. Carefully following rather simple instructions made this idiot proof. Wish I could share (with some of you). Going to get some nice buns today, make a couple different aioli and fried cabbage, to go with this
smile.gif
Final pics. We have a nice portion to eat today, then I divided up and will vacuum seal and freeze. One piece I have marked to season either Yankee beans or chili. The leanest part of the flat will get sliced up for sandwich duty.
IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
All hail the king of the meat smokers! Looks fantastic for a first crack. Where'd you get the recipe?

Just out of curiosity, is Socal the queen? Or is that gosurface?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The company that makes these smokers, Cook Shack, has a website with moderated user forums. This was stickied and billed as a great, easy way to do brisket. Totally lived up to its billing.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can't beat that. Now make bubbie proud and get an challah roll and some spicy mustard. Potato pancakes on the side with some apple sauce wouldn't hurt either.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a week of travel it was so nice to BBQ a prime NY steak to a rare-medium/rare and have it along with a fresh bagette and salad with red onion, tomatoes, lettuce and a nice glass of wine.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That brisket looks
drool.gif
!!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
That brisket looks
drool.gif
!!

Thanks EL
smile.gif

Next time we go somewhere, like a tail gate party, this is what I'm bringing all chunked up, with some 'slaw and buns.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's fantastic Pio! Should I send you my address for a sample? BTW, I have a great book on BBQ called, evidently, Peace, Love, and Barbecue. The author not only knows what he's doing, but also one of the nicest people I've ever met. I highly recommend it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm happy everyone is liking the shots of my first brisket smoking
smile.gif

Next plan is brined turky smoked for TG
smile.gif

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends wanted to try the Burger Bar in SF, so I tagged along. Hubert was there again making the rounds. He brought us a shake sampler to try, but the raspberry one was god awful -- it was like drinking super sweet raspberry jam. The rest of the shakes were still as sweet as the week before, although the chocolate mint one was okay. I decided to go with the "surf and turf" which was lobster with an angus beef patty and asparagus. What a huge disappointment, as you can tell from the photo.
plain.gif
I was hoping for something a bit more creative, like the lobster burger at Central in D.C., where the lobster is chopped up and bound with gelatin to make an awesome "lobster cake," but instead it was just two chewy pieces of lobster without any sort of sauce.
10618_641802645193_216316_36732448_6940748_n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads