What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Wedding over the weekend had some great shortrib and an open bar, but by 1am, I needed a booze relieving snack, so I walked over to the just opened Burger Bar outpost in SF since it was only a few blocks away and still open. Decided to have one of the boozey milkshakes which was reallllllly sweet with a ton of chocolate syrup. And I also decided to get the Rossini burger since I had one in Vegas and because of SF's stupid upcoming foie gras ban. Hubert was walking around though, making sure everything was okay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SF is going to ban foie gras? What a fucking joke. Linkage?

This goddamned ban is following me. First Chicago, now San Francisco. Glad I'm up here in bumblefuck.

2. track309

track309 Senior member

I had a late lunch, Slow Roasted Duck Po boy and onion rings. Tasted better than it looks[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

SF is going to ban foie gras? What a fucking joke. Linkage?

This goddamned ban is following me. First Chicago, now San Francisco. Glad I'm up here in bumblefuck.

You're bringing it with you... BASTARD!

Well, I meant it as being included in the CA ban, but some SF supervisors have been trying to push for an earlier, city-wide ban before the state's 2012 ban.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

CA is banning foie?

[​IMG]

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

CA is banning foie?

[​IMG]

Worry not, for there will be tofoie! [​IMG]

6. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

CA is banning foie?

[​IMG]

In 2012 thanks to the Governator.

7. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

[​IMG] Pork Belly Stew Filipino style, sweet and sour crepine and white bean ragout @ the Restaurant Diana in Mexico City inside the St. Regis. Not too impressed with the effort....the street tacos were 100x better.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Hmmm.... I don't know the wording of the CA thing, but in Chicago, it was illegal to "sell" foie gras, but there was nothing about "serving" foie gras. So a lot of restaurants began having possible foie amuse-bouches, or any VIP table got "comped" a foie dish, or something like that. There are ways around these rules, I hope.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Fucking communists.

I've always wanted to say that in a non CE thread.

10. DNW

DNW Senior member

Fucking pinkopublican!

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Fucking communists.

I've always wanted to say that in a non CE thread.

Fucking pinkopublican!

+1. Ain't Arnie a Republican?
    I figured Repubs would be all for foie. A) The debate usually boils down to whether or not it's fair or harmful to the bird, and we all know that Republicans get enjoyment out of torturing brown-skins, so why not geese and ducks? and B) I thought those guys were all for individual rights and whatnot.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

We should call it Freedom Gras, and then maybe it will be legal again.

13. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Hmmm.... I don't know the wording of the CA thing, but in Chicago, it was illegal to "sell" foie gras, but there was nothing about "serving" foie gras. So a lot of restaurants began having possible foie amuse-bouches, or any VIP table got "comped" a foie dish, or something like that. There are ways around these rules, I hope.

Yep, I think that's what lots of people were saying they would do in CA too -- give it for "free" with the meal. I think there is wording about restaurants not being able to "buy" foie gras, so maybe they'll just be "BYOFG" restaurants. I have family in Nevada, so at least I can get a foie airdrop if I really need some post-2012 foie-pocalypse.

+1. Ain't Arnie a Republican?
    I figured Repubs would be all for foie. A) The debate usually boils down to whether or not it's fair or harmful to the bird, and we all know that Republicans get enjoyment out of torturing brown-skins, so why not geese and ducks? and B) I thought those guys were all for individual rights and whatnot.

There's a reason Repubs call him "Benedict Ahnold."

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Do you know what this would mean for Sonoma Foie Gras? Would they still be able to produce and sell to people outside of the state?
    Their product is wildly inconsistent compared to Hudson Valley, but it'd still be sad to see the company go down b/c of this.

15. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Do you know what this would mean for Sonoma Foie Gras? Would they still be able to produce and sell to people outside of the state? Their product is wildly inconsistent compared to Hudson Valley, but it'd still be sad to see the company go down b/c of this.
    Heh, I was told that was the reason Keane switched back to Hudson Valley. Yep, it looks like either he'll have to start selling the ducks for food or shut down:
    Here's the actual bill. This bill, commencing July 1, 2012, prohibits a person from force feeding a bird for the purpose of enlarging the birds liver beyond normal size, and prohibits a product from being sold in California if it is the result of force feeding of a bird. I guess no ortolan either.