• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweaters?

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, buy cashmere if you want someting warm and luxurious and budget is not an issue. Or maybe try a couple of John Smedley, cotton for summer/spring, merinos wool for winter.

Originally Posted by BareSolid
Is there no consensus on this? Some are saying only cashmere, others are saying 'sea island' cotton and others 'merino wool'. I am very sure I want long-sleeve v-necks, so which online outlet can I find good oens at a good price? It is not my intention to wear them under sports jackets (it's just not my style; if I'm wearing a sports jacket I'll not wear a jumper).

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
Well, buy cashmere if you want someting warm and luxurious and budget is not an issue. Or maybe try a couple of John Smedley, cotton for summer/spring, merinos wool for winter.

+1.
If you can wait until Dec you'll be able to pick up Smedleys for around £40 > £50.

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
+1.
If you can wait until Dec you'll be able to pick up Smedleys for around £40 > £50.

Sounds good to me, pal. Where will I be able to get them?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo.co.uk

Cashmere jumpers on offer for £59.99 at the moment....... seems good to me , may even have a lil dabble myself
smile.gif

BareSolid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Uniqlo.co.uk

Cashmere jumpers on offer for £59.99 at the moment....... seems good to me , may even have a lil dabble myself
smile.gif

But don't people equate, on this site, Uniqlo clothing as if it were woven by Satan himself? I was equally tempted but I didn't want to fall into as much scorn as this brand would occasion here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are in Britain ... they should be all around you.

You should be able to spot one in just about any retail district.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
Or you may want to try lamb's wool. Take a look at all of them ... and then decided which you prefer.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But don't people equate, on this site, Uniqlo clothing as if it were woven by Satan himself? I was equally tempted but I didn't want to fall into as much scorn as this brand would occasion here.

Is cashmere not just cashmere is there that much difference in jumper quality?? Educate me !! Is this another forum think much the same as Church's shoes etc etc etc

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody answered to say where I would be able to get Smedleys in Dec for £50. Any replies?

Late December you should be able to grab a few in the Selfridges sale.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 3rd John Smedley sweater from this seller from ebay uk. I think he's got two ebay shops (link1, link2). S/he's having curently about 50 sweaters, all sizes, stock renewed every few days. Brand new, from last year's collection, merino wool, prices between 30-40 pounds. Hard to find them cheaper other then go to a Smedley factory store (where they should be 10 -20 pounds)

jimmy c

Reaction score
Nobody answered to say where I would be able to get Smedleys in Dec for £50. Any replies?

I basically came in here to recommend john smedley.

They have sales on their website. Their merinos went down to about £65 online in the January just gone.

I particularly like the Bower fit - nice high v neck.

Spurious

Reaction score
Bumping the thread, sorry, but is John Smedley still recommended for sweaters in a reasonable price range (i.e. Student's budget)?

I feel like, I have a go to brand for every clothing item but for sweaters. Any other recommended brands? I am Europe based FWIW.

To clarify: Looking for v-neck and zip neck sweaters.

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bumping the thread, sorry, but is John Smedley still recommended for sweaters in a reasonable price range (i.e. Student's budget)?
I feel like, I have a go to brand for every clothing item but for sweaters. Any other recommended brands? I am Europe based FWIW.
Howard yount

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads