• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick and heavy Tweed roll call

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
This thread should be renamed "Fly paper for people who know less than nothing about fabric and tailoring to masquerade as experts".
smile.gif

Why Buffy ... you glouriously naughty boy ... if you can find fly paper that looks like one of these windowpanes ... I'll gladly pay you double, on Tuesday.

Of course, others have suggested that I must frequent upholstry shops.

As for being an expert ... that's not a term I'd apply to myself. Moreover, I'm not one of the gents who aspires to the Biddle wardrobe. Elegance has never been an aspiration of mine.

I simply buy what I love ... casual country comfort. Whereas Sebastian Horsley's mother wanted the child who among her three best matched her red velvet outfit ... I prefer to reach for the coat that best matches my beagles.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Why Buffy ... you glouriously naughty boy ... if you can find fly paper that looks like one of these windowpanes ... I'll gladly pay you double, on Tuesday. Of course, others have suggested that I must frequent upholstry shops. As for being an expert ... that's not a term I'd apply to myself. Moreover, I'm not one of the gents who aspires to the Biddle wardrobe. Elegance has never been an aspiration of mine. I simply buy what I love ... casual country comfort. Whereas Sebastian Horsley's mother wanted the child who among here three best matched her red velvet outfit ... I prefer to reach for the coat that best matches my beagles.
The concept of tweed is a fascinating one because you can get real tweeds which of course can be very nice or you can get softer and/or thinner fabrics that have tweed-like patterns. Some people will only wear the "real", traditional weave of heavy weight tweeds and sneer at any other interpretation. Like a flannel, most people like the look of tweed on others but want something that has the look but neither the weight nor the texture. Personally, I would rather a cashmere jacket with a tweed pattern. But that's a lifestyle choice. Someone in academia or antiques might get a a lot of credit wearing a real tweed. I have a tweed suit which I think is about 18-19 oz. Some sort of Donegal specially made for suits. Both jacket and pants are fully lined. An unlined tweed suit is like wearing wingtips without socks. Anyway, I am not unhappy with my suit but I wouldn't get another one. I believe a tweed should be well tailored and not soft or loose.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Over_My_Head_single.jpg

Guess you are not a sports fan:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Original 24 oz. Seafield's Glenurquhart Estate tweed (1840) woven by Johnstons of Elgin.

henry_poole_seafield.jpg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I do tend to like tweeds -- some of them quite heavy -- and have a number of windowpanes and bold checks among my favorites.

I don't take many pictures of my clothing ... but are a couple of shots that were likely posted over at AAAC ... predating my SF membership.

Huntsman....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JibranK
Huntsman....
Indeed ... with the top eight being Anderson & Sheppard.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good eye FNB. I actually wanted some overlap based on the below photo. My tailor said at most he'll do 2 inches of overlap since at about 4-5 inches of overlap, it becomes a double breasted suit.

As I'm sure you'll agree FNB, kudos to Michael Alden for this beautifully commissioned cloth
worship.gif

The below pic was the inspiration for the overlap...specifically the man on the left with the same colored cloth

knizerevers.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Good eye FNB. I actually wanted some overlap based on the below photo. My tailor said at most he'll do 2 inches of overlap since at about 4-5 inches of overlap, it becomes a double breasted suit. As I'm sure you'll agree FNB, kudos to Michael Alden for this beautifully commissioned cloth
worship.gif
The below pic was the inspiration for the overlap...specifically the man on the left with the same colored cloth
knizerevers.jpg

I don't know that there is an overlap at all there. I also think you should ask this tailor (who made this?) to re-cut front quarters for you. I don't mind fairly closed quarters but not completely closed ones and on no account a single breasted overlap; especially with a bulky cloth on someone like yourself. I wish I could see a better colored, closer shot of the cloth. Don't get me started with Alden's design aesthetic. It should be enough that you want to buy it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know that there is an overlap at all there. I also think you should ask this tailor (who made this?) to re-cut front quarters for you.

I don't mind fairly closed quarters but not completely closed ones and on no account a single breasted overlap; especially with a bulky cloth on someone like yourself.

I agree. I imagine that M. would look a lot more slender with open quarters, less overlap, and a lower buttoning point.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know that there is an overlap at all there. I also think you should ask this tailor (who made this?) to re-cut front quarters for you.
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I agree.
And ... another in agreement.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mafoofan and FNB, thanks for the comments Seeking a slender build on my massive and well fed frame is always the challenge for my tailor...but it is one of the reasons I do bespoke This was my first and possibly last ever experiment with overlap. I specifically asked for more open quarters, but my tailor convinced me that it would look bad As to Mafoofan's comments on the lower buttoning point...I presume this is for the jacket. I don't like 2 button jackets and with a vest, I don't like having a large exposed area between the top of the vest and top of the 3rd button on the jacket. I like massive lapels...when possible and the button stance on this jacket has been a good medium on how I like it. Vests are problematic for me. the lower the vest opening, the worse it fits and looks. Perhaps it is the limitation inherent in dealing with my tailor (and I've done 14 suits with him), or its just my build which prevents me from having better fitting and looking lower button vests. Double breasted vests are even more of a problem...thus I've opted for 7 buttons. Am always open to comments on improving the cut of my jacket to convey a good style consistent with my build...so fire away
rimshot.gif
FNB: I'll give you a double dose of Michael Alden's cloth marvels. Here is a better photo shot with an 8 megapixel camer of the Eden in Paris (top grey flannel with blue windowpane) and the Brown Tweed Herringbone on the bottom. The Eden in Paris is a gorgeous 13oz woolen flannel
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads