• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple f***ing sucks

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I don't think you can say Macs are HORRIBLY overpriced anymore. I needed a new laptop about 3 months ago. It came down to Lenovo X200 vs. 13" Unibody MBP (the new one). Retail is about $1300 vs $1200, respectively. Real life price is $900 vs $950, respectively. I went for the Lenovo but the Macbook has many features which are lacking on the Lenovo (longer battery, backlit keyboard, faster processor, etc). I totally understand the OPs frustration with stuff "not working". Sometimes apple **** does not work as smoothly as it's supposed to.
I did admit the 13" is tops in its class but even the X200 comes with the newer Intel processor, Intel integrated graphics, DDR3 memory, and several other upgrade options that you can't get with Apple's systems. Apple's definitely doing better these days but their inability to keep up with changes in the market really hampers them.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are also many more laptop manufacturers out there.
smile.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can say Macs are HORRIBLY overpriced anymore.

I needed a new laptop about 3 months ago. It came down to Lenovo X200 vs. 13" Unibody MBP (the new one). Retail is about $1300 vs $1200, respectively. Real life price is $900 vs $950, respectively. I went for the Lenovo but the Macbook has many features which are lacking on the Lenovo (longer battery, backlit keyboard, faster processor, etc).

I totally understand the OPs frustration with stuff "not working". Sometimes apple **** does not work as smoothly as it's supposed to.

TC, this is a good example of what I had in mind when discussing Apple pricing. As you illustrated, you can always find a better computer for less than Apple, and there is no question Apple does not provide the "best value," but when you compare them to other popular brands with the same specs, they are not that overpriced. In the above example, if he bought the Apple instead of the Lenovo, he would only have paid an extra $50 to be cool, while the common perception is that he would have had to pay hundreds more to enjoy the special lifestyle
smile.gif

I can see that you don`t really approve of his choice of buying the Lenovo, but you would not say he is stupid for making that choice either, even though there are other computers with better specs at a cheaper price.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you are comparing apples to apples (no pun intended) the X200 is a poor choice. It's a business ultraportable and weighs a whole pound less than the MBP 13" unibody.

All I'm saying is that you can't really say the X200 was only "$50 less for comparable hardware" when it really isn't.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping in line with the spirit of this thread, "Apple f***ing sucks" I`m starting to get really frustrated with the Japanese kanji conversion while using my Mac. I can`t believe in this day and age the conversion can be so stupid. In this area, Windows is clearly much better. After searching for a good solution, it looks like I am going to have to spend an extra $100 or so for software to fix this problem. Will continue to look, but it doesn`t seem like there is a good workaround for free.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Keeping in line with the spirit of this thread, "Apple f***ing sucks" I`m starting to get really frustrated with the Japanese kanji conversion while using my Mac. I can`t believe in this day and age the conversion can be so stupid. In this area, Windows is clearly much better. After searching for a good solution, it looks like I am going to have to spend an extra $100 or so for software to fix this problem. Will continue to look, but it doesn`t seem like there is a good workaround for free.
Boot camp it into Windows.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Update 3: I did use the new Mac to do some scanning of old photos yesterday with an HP all-in-one scanner, and within 5 minutes I was making perfect scans very quickly and easily. The scanner plugged-and-played like a dream, and the Apple image importer (can't remember the name of the app) was highly intelligent, picking up that I had 3 or 4 photos on the flatbed at once, and writing them directly to iPhoto as separate files with virtually no effort required from me. It was something that worked really, really, really well, and is the sort of thing I expected to encounter when I decided to make the switch.

So, ran into some trouble with this this morning. Though the scanning has gone tremendously well, concluding last night, with virtually no glitches, this morning I decided to do one last scan of a photo I just found at the bottom of the box. I did everything exactly as before, but tried setting the scan up just a notch higher at 2400dpi, since it was a larger photo and I wanted to see what the resolution might be. (I had been scanning at 1200.)

Well, this morning Image Capture said it was "Scanning" but it seemed to churn forever. I thought it might be the higher DPI setting, but after 20 minutes I decided to give up. I hit "Cancel" but nothing happened. A minute later, I hit cancel again, several times in succession. No luck.

So I closed Image Capture and restarted it, hoping to try scanning at a lower res as I had been. It said "Establishing connection with scanner" and stayed there, no love, for 5 minutes. I closed IC again, shut down the printer, restarted both, same result. Now I can't get the scanner to link up with Image Capture at all.

Who knows, maybe this is another user error, though I can't imagine how. But that this is seizing up, glitching, and not acting right is another one of those mystery conditions I'll probably never get to the bottom of that I thought I was leaving behind when I made the switch.

Tonight, I'll try re-starting the computer and see if that improves anything. Who'd have thought I'd have to say that about a Mac?

Oh, and, since I'm converting my iTunes library and other stuff over from the old computer, I am starting to run into the DRM walls Apple has built around my media, and it is chapping ******.

emakris

Reaction score
My 2 pence, for those who care:

I've used Windows-based computers all my life (except the early years when I used Amigas). I continue to use Windows at work but for over a year now I have been using a MacBook Pro; I just fancied a change and Linux did not work for me (Ubuntu - used it for a month). I never had any major problems with Windows and I never had any major problems with the Mac. Almost nothing worked on Linux (Vaio SZ2).

I only called Microsoft once and the service was excellent; the lady on the phone answered my problem in 15 minutes. I only e-mailed Apple once for a problem related to my iTunes account and I got the answer to my problem within 12 hours. Also, the staff at the Regent St. Apple store have always been very friendly with me.

No difference in functionality; on the Mac I am using pretty much the same software as before, except I don't use an antivirus anymore and instead of Visio I am using Omnigraffle.

I loved my Vaio on XP (4 years old and still going strong) and love my MacBook Pro. I passionately hate my brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T500 - the screen is abysmal and my hobby is photography.

All in all, if you like the style of a Mac and using MacOS and don't mind the expense, then go for it. Otherwise, a Windows-based computer is just as good.

KPO89

Reaction score
I don't think you can say Macs are HORRIBLY overpriced anymore.

I needed a new laptop about 3 months ago. It came down to Lenovo X200 vs. 13" Unibody MBP (the new one). Retail is about $1300 vs $1200, respectively. Real life price is $900 vs $950, respectively. I went for the Lenovo but the Macbook has many features which are lacking on the Lenovo (longer battery, backlit keyboard, faster processor, etc).

I totally understand the OPs frustration with stuff "not working". Sometimes apple **** does not work as smoothly as it's supposed to.

No computer works smoothly all the time...I think the real question is which works better most of the time.

Originally Posted by Dragon
TC, this is a good example of what I had in mind when discussing Apple pricing. As you illustrated, you can always find a better computer for less than Apple, and there is no question Apple does not provide the "best value," but when you compare them to other popular brands with the same specs, they are not that overpriced. In the above example, if he bought the Apple instead of the Lenovo, he would only have paid an extra $50 to be cool, while the common perception is that he would have had to pay hundreds more to enjoy the special lifestyle
smile.gif

I can see that you don`t really approve of his choice of buying the Lenovo, but you would not say he is stupid for making that choice either, even though there are other computers with better specs at a cheaper price.

^^^^What he said.

butterflystyle

Reaction score
I recently had an AWFUL experience with the Michigan Avenue Apple store, and my macbook pro in general.

I have owned my Macbook Pro for SEVEN months. I have carried it in a padded case, and treated it in general as a piece art. I don't use it as my main computer so I use it PERHAPS 4-6 hours per day for school.

In that seven month period my screen literally came apart at the seams. The construction of the screen lends this to itself.

While having my macbook repaired, I was CONSISTENTLY pressured to buy Apple Care for $99 so that I could move to the front of the repair queue.

You'd think that a quality built machine wouldn't need special warranty programs, but at this Apple Store, the queue for repairs can take up to TEN days. They have SO many people that this GIANT Apple Store (Twice the size of a mall store, it's a flagship) with all of it's "geniuses" has so many repairs that you can't make same day genius bar appointments, and WHEN your Mac breaks, it takes up to ten days to get it fixed.

So while fixing my broken screen, Apple snapped my airport card, didn't check it, and when I got home I had no network connection, I had to bring my macbook back to the store, it was NOT put in the "Apple Care" queue, like they said it would, and 7 days later my macbook was back to me.

Because of poor quality construction, I was without my macbook for 14 days, I received no follow up calls, the only thing I received when calling in was a sales pitch for Apple Care.

I will NEVER buy anything but a Lenovo laptop again.

ALLCAPS

Reaction score
Just going to wave ******* about a bit here.
fekps4.jpg

ALLCAPS

Reaction score
It's not century gothic it's sawasdee~

It's fine to read at low sizes and has a large character set so it does the job pretty well, and besides, I like the way it looks.

Jpreme87

Reaction score
Steve Jobs is a sneaky backstabbing snake oil salesman. With sh!tty business practices and sh!tty computers.

Apple sets codes in their OS so that it can be run unless all hardware is apple approved, not for quality ibut so that apple's OS isn't used on the always superior PC hardwares.

and now uses the same hardware as Microsoft from Intel. Which is why windows can be run on Macs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads