• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning Coat or White Tie

Argentine

Reaction score
Getting married "around" 5PM in Argentina and have been trying to pick the best option for my outfit considering the time and formality of the event. Trick is and what I am unsure about is that all of my research says no Morning Suit AFTER 5pm but no White Tie until 6PM. What do you suggest for this hour of ambiguity? Do we scoot the start time up a touch? I don't want to dictate the start time of this wedding based on my suit but the idea was to have the sunset and the mountains as a backdrop (getting married out in Mendoza) so later doesn't really work. The other thing I keep hearing is that "down there" they (Argentines) don't follow these conventions and people wear Morning Suits even at night and that White Tie is very pretentious. Silly to me as isn't a Morning Suit the formal equivalent of White Tie? Anyway, would love feedback so I can share with them not to mention I am having this made. BTW - a saw the earlier thread about a dinner jacket vs. a morning coat - sorry for the subtle difference when starting this thread.

JV

caligula455

Reaction score
i think if the sun is still visibly up you should stay away from formal wear, particularly if it won't be well received by the rest of the party or the bride's family. you could always change to white tie or black tie for the reception though.

also if the groomsmen aren't in evening wear you probably shouldn't be either.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the fact you are getting married around sunset, I'd suggest white tie as much more appropriate than morning attire.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember an Emily Post column that specifically forbid evening wear at 5:00, saying striped trousers were the way to go. I suppose 6:00 P.M. is meant to be an electric fence. There's also the old rule that if a groom wears morning dress to a day wedding, he is allowed to wear it even to an evening reception.

Of course, season is relevant. Given the sunset, I suppose white tie could be the way to go. It's harder to apply the rules here, because they derive from British weddings which only take place in the day.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your research is right if your wedding is in the late afternoon then you do not want to go with a morning coat, since moring coat is just that a coat ment to be worn in the morning.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is only one answer to this question for any number of reasons. Morning suit.

1 The wedding is before sunset.
2 Morning suit is the locally accepted formal style for weddings.
3 Any formal European wedding will wear their morning suits into the evening and Argentina follows this code.
4 A white tie would not only be wrong it will mark you out as a gauche foreigner.

Sorry to be so dogmatic but you were getting some duff advice from others.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you choose, don't change mid-wedding. It would put some moral pressure on your guests to do the same.

Argentine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
There is only one answer to this question for any number of reasons. Morning suit.

3 Any formal European wedding will wear their morning suits into the evening and Argentina follows this code.
4 A white tie would not only be wrong it will mark you out as a gauche foreigner.

thank you thank you - this is what I was assuming... and you are spot on with the gauche foreigner. They really seem to dislike WHite Tie...

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two other factors in favor of a morning coat. It looks so much better than white tie and is much more comfortable.

Argentine

Reaction score
true as well... anyone have suggestions for a maker of said suit? I visited Oxxford which will do a completely custom suit. Very nice but would like a couple more options to look at before going to a Bespoke Tailor.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Your research is right if your wedding is in the late afternoon then you do not want to go with a morning coat, since moring coat is just that a coat ment to be worn in the morning.

Nonsense - think of it as formal DAY dress which is really is. Morning dress is what the Americans deem to be a stroller and does not have a tail coat.

Think Royal Ascot - tails look quite appropriate at luncheon and in the afternoon.

Your wedding is in the day not the evening so...

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
There are two other factors in favor of a morning coat. It looks so much better than white tie and is much more comfortable.

Nonsense. White tie done right is the sharpest thing a man can wear. As for comfort, well, Fred Astaire didn't complain.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood

1+

Some texts say 7PM is the limit. There is no magic cut-off time after which the morning coat turns into a pumpkin, and you have to look at the specific set of circumstances carefully.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Nonsense. White tie done right is the sharpest thing a man can wear. As for comfort, well, Fred Astaire didn't complain.

Nonsense it may be, but it's true. Honestly, which would you rather wear for your wedding?

CHAPSbyRalphLaurenBlackProvidenceCutawayPeakLapel.gif

vs.

CHAPSbyRalphLaurenBlackFairfaxFullDressTails.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads