• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rolls Royce Automobiles.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
There was also one Bentley version produced (requiring a one-off wider version of the grill to be produced).

And here's a custom soft-top/headlight version...

There are some other Oil-Sheik toy abominations...but they shouldn't be looked at.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
There was also one Bentley version produced (requiring a one-off wider version of the grill to be produced).

And here's a custom soft-top/headlight version...

There are some other Oil-Sheik toy abominations...but they shouldn't be looked at.

I read that it was originally designed as a Bentley model.

images HERE

hypersonic

Reaction score
Don't hate me too much guys ....but I really like the Phantom
blush.gif

(from Flickr)
3973969083_8a886df41a_b.jpg

3939728121_ef6c6e3526_o.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic
Don't hate me too much guys ....but I really like the Phantom
blush.gif

They're nice cars, especially the convertible. Not my taste though.

epb

Reaction score
I can see liking the Phantom, but those front lights are a dealbreaker for me. I was really hoping the Ghost would tone things down a bit more, while still having presence; that's what was lost between the Shadow and the Spur, imo.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I still wish I'd kept mine, and I plan to get another (coupe - ideally, a Park Ward, but there are only 15.

Revived to correct the above - I meant a James Young coupe,of which there are only 15 left-hand drive models, iirc. Below is a rhd one on eBay. Most people prefer the MPW version, and I like them as well, but I like how this preserves the lines of the sedan.

!BZK2UDQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DUEjlLlzqhLBKl(dePwQQ~~_3.JPG

xpress

Reaction score
I can't help but post...
I love reading posts pertaining to Rolls Royce, Bentley... Really anything that is considered British Luxury.

I read them for the content, but.. in complete honesty, I read them for the vocabulary.

"Nice" is transformed to 'elegant, beautiful, etc"

"Car" is transformed to "automobile, motorcar, etc"

I don't quite know if people are trying to sound more refined, when speaking of a topic which is in itself quite refined... Or if these threads bring forth a new poster, and leave the "ricer boys" to chat about the newest intake for the RSX...

Either way, quite entertaining.

Quite smashing, elegant, luscious motorcars, those Rollers!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xpress
I can't help but post...
I love reading posts pertaining to Rolls Royce, Bentley... Really anything that is considered British Luxury.

I read them for the content, but.. in complete honesty, I read them for the vocabulary.

I don't quite know if people are trying to sound more refined, when speaking of a topic which is in itself quite refined... Or if these threads bring forth a new poster, and leave the "ricer boys" to chat about the newest intake for the RSX...

Quite similar to what happens when people talk about italian cars.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xpress
I can't help but post...

I think this is very perceptive.

Although, from a technical stance, Rolls-Royce vehicles have often failed to live up to their popular reputation as "The best cars in the world", the brand's image has been brilliantly managed over the decades.

Although I am often quite irritated by blatant snobbery and class-ism, I think Rolls-Royce has used these things very cleverly to best effect.

We all know that Rolls-Royce is all a myth -- just an abstract concept -- an idealized fantasy of fine living and prestige in the form of a car. After all, is it not rather silly to build a machine and furnish it with elaborately inlaid cabinetry, hand-stitched leather upholstery, heavily chromed metal, and finished off with a finely cast Art Nouveau sculpture of a half naked woman?. It really borders on kitsch. And yet, it all seems to make perfectly rational people go all lyrical and poetic. I know Rolls-Royce is not enjoyed by everyone -- but I am glad that such things do still exist ...regardless of how unnecessary they are.

Rolls-Royce has almost exclusively kept alive an old-fashioned romantic idea of the automobile as an "automated carriage", rather than just mere transportation -- and that is something special and worthy of respect.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hypersonic

Rolls-Royce has almost exclusively kept alive an old-fashioned romantic idea of the automobile as an "automated carriage", rather than just mere transportation -- and that is something special and worthy of respect.

This should be published
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads