1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rolls Royce Automobiles.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I can't help but post...
    I love reading posts pertaining to Rolls Royce, Bentley... Really anything that is considered British Luxury.

I read them for the content, but.. in complete honesty, I read them for the vocabulary.

"Nice" is transformed to 'elegant, beautiful, etc"

"Car" is transformed to "automobile, motorcar, etc"

I don't quite know if people are trying to sound more refined, when speaking of a topic which is in itself quite refined... Or if these threads bring forth a new poster, and leave the "ricer boys" to chat about the newest intake for the RSX...

Either way, quite entertaining.

Quite smashing, elegant, luscious motorcars, those Rollers!

Quite similar to what happens when people talk about italian cars.

2. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

I can't help but post...
    I love reading posts pertaining to Rolls Royce, Bentley... Really anything that is considered British Luxury.

I read them for the content, but.. in complete honesty, I read them for the vocabulary.

"Nice" is transformed to 'elegant, beautiful, etc"

"Car" is transformed to "automobile, motorcar, etc"

I don't quite know if people are trying to sound more refined, when speaking of a topic which is in itself quite refined... Or if these threads bring forth a new poster, and leave the "ricer boys" to chat about the newest intake for the RSX...

Either way, quite entertaining.

Quite smashing, elegant, luscious motorcars, those Rollers!

I think this is very perceptive.

Although, from a technical stance, Rolls-Royce vehicles have often failed to live up to their popular reputation as "The best cars in the world", the brand's image has been brilliantly managed over the decades.

Although I am often quite irritated by blatant snobbery and class-ism, I think Rolls-Royce has used these things very cleverly to best effect.

We all know that Rolls-Royce is all a myth -- just an abstract concept -- an idealized fantasy of fine living and prestige in the form of a car. After all, is it not rather silly to build a machine and furnish it with elaborately inlaid cabinetry, hand-stitched leather upholstery, heavily chromed metal, and finished off with a finely cast Art Nouveau sculpture of a half naked woman?. It really borders on kitsch. And yet, it all seems to make perfectly rational people go all lyrical and poetic. I know Rolls-Royce is not enjoyed by everyone -- but I am glad that such things do still exist ...regardless of how unnecessary they are.

Rolls-Royce has almost exclusively kept alive an old-fashioned romantic idea of the automobile as an "automated carriage", rather than just mere transportation -- and that is something special and worthy of respect.

3. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Rolls-Royce has almost exclusively kept alive an old-fashioned romantic idea of the automobile as an "automated carriage", rather than just mere transportation -- and that is something special and worthy of respect.

This should be published [​IMG]