• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visit to Lobb St. James with my Monkstraps...

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought a few of you may find this interesting... I purchased a pair of Lobb Ltd. Monkstraps from Rebel222 a couple of weeks back. I took a risk with the fit but am pleased to say that they fit me perfectly when they arrived (no funky foot shapes thankfully...). I decided to mail Lobb to find out a bit more about them and they suggested I pop in the shop as I work just round the corner. Popped in there last week and spoke to John Hunter Lobb. Told me that the shoes were made in 1996 as part of a 4 pair order (including a pair of riding boots(!)). They were made for a guy called "Michael S.." (edited for privacy!) who resides in the U.S. They even gave me a brand new shoe box which I was pretty pleased with. I enquired about changing the buckles to silver and he said that there was no set price but that it would probably cost around £80.... I must admit, the shop is like nothing else I've ever been in... There's a huge grandfather clock which has a very loud tick-tock and it's like going back in time. They seemed to be quite busy but obviously there were no customers!
wink.gif
Anyway sorry for the crappy photos as I only had my mobile with me.
DSCF7732.jpg
DSCF7733.jpg
DSCF7734.jpg
DSCF7843.jpg
IMG00015-20091006-1327.jpg
IMG00016-20091006-1327.jpg
IMG00018-20091006-1327.jpg
IMG00019-20091006-1327.jpg

&Son

Reaction score
Excellent pictures. That shop is certainly one of a kind. Thanks you for sharing your story and enjoy those shoes!

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How were they able to trace the shoes back to Michael S.???? We don't need to know his complete name and suprised they gave it to you.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
How were they able to trace the shoes back to Michael S.???? (We don't need to know his complete name)

I've edited it (didn't think before posting).

Every Lobb St. James shoe comes with a number on the inside which they can trace back to the exact order. Once I gave him the shoes, he popped upstairs for a minute and came down with all the information...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to pick JL London over JL Paris for bespoke just to spend time in that store.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between this Shop and large JL shoe company that everyone knows? What is the relatinship between two companies?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads