• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Place to eat in Atlanta

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to Atlanta this weekend to see Sunny Day Real Estate on peach street. I was hoping someone would have recommendations for some good soul food around that area.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Try the Colonnade (sp?), it's near Buckhead. Very good old-school Southern food as well as some more modern dishes. I would highly recommend the fried chicken plus mac 'n cheese, greens, etc.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Both of the two reccomended places mentioned above are inexpensive old timely "meat and two (vegetables)" feed halls where you will eat with polyester-wearing elders and have to endure fatback flavored, grey-colored food which has been cooked to mush.
If you want a good restaurant with a definte Southern touch, try either Restaurant Eugene or Dogwood.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Don't forget a stop at Magic City!
inlove.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicad2000
Try the Colonnade (sp?), it's near Buckhead. Very good old-school Southern food as well as some more modern dishes. I would highly recommend the fried chicken plus mac 'n cheese, greens, etc.

One of my favorites. Unfortunately, they got a new chef a few years ago who was added some new dishes. They aren't as good as their classic food and have forced a few of the old time dishes off. Not in a touristy area.

Originally Posted by tdangio
Mary Mac

Nowhere near as good as it used to be. Not too close to Buckhead.

Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Both of the two reccomended places mentioned above are inexpensive old timely "meat and two (vegetables)" feed halls where you will eat with polyester-wearing elders and have to endure fatback flavored, grey-colored food which has been cooked to mush.
If you want a good restaurant with a definte Southern touch, try either Restaurant Eugene or Dogwood.

Eugene is fantastic but not the old-school Southern food you are looking for. I'd try the gastropub next door, the name of which escapes me ATM, and have the head to tail pig dinner.

Originally Posted by Cavalier
Don't forget a stop at Magic City!
inlove.gif

Or Clermont Lounge! Tell Blondie I sent you.

BTW: It is Peachtree Street and there are lots of them here. So don't say Peach Street and expect people to know what you are talking about.

What I would really suggest you do though is go to Carver's Grocery. WAAAAAAY out of the way though. You'll need a car to get there or have a really long and complicated MARTA ride. CALL before you go. Some days they are open, sometimes not. Only for lunch too. Far and away the best soul food in Atlanta. No cards accepted though. And you won't need dinner if you go. **** is so good you'll eat it all up and won't have room for dinner or breakfast the next day.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
What I would really suggest you do though is go to Carver's Grocery. WAAAAAAY out of the way though. You'll need a car to get there or have a really long and complicated MARTA ride. CALL before you go. Some days they are open, sometimes not. Only for lunch too. Far and away the best soul food in Atlanta. No cards accepted though. And you won't need dinner if you go. **** is so good you'll eat it all up and won't have room for dinner or breakfast the next day.

Where is this place?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a slightly more upscale southern food experience, South City Kitchen in Midtown is great. (although it's been a few years since I've been)

registrar1900

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
For a slightly more upscale southern food experience, South City Kitchen in Midtown is great. (although it's been a few years since I've been)

+1 for South City Kitchen. We were there this past January and enjoyed the food. Not traditional southern cooking but better described as contemporary/modern southern. Many classics on the menu but with a little more panache.

One of the local staff I worked with last month also had good things to say about SCK. She also runs her own catering business so not a total food neophyte.

tdangio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon

South City Kitchen is great. Didn't mention it because I don't really consider it soul food, but it's definitely a great option.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is Agave in downtown and Silk in midtown?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Chick Fil A!!!!!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads