• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stores with the Best Sales Assistants

Ozarks

Reaction score
I typically don't shop retail as most stores don't stock my size, but the few times I've been to J.Crew locally they were quite good. The first time in I tried on a small but it felt too big, so I asked what the measurements of an XS were. One guy knew them off hand and he definitely wasn't an XS. Then they also let me use the student discount on top of an already running online sale.

I look forward to visiting SE soon though. I always end up in the city just after closing time, so all I can do is peek in through the windows.

nohomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Bay Area, CA: (And i shop A LOT)

Good:
-Horace at Borrelli! He makes it almost worth it to buy at retail......almost. I can't ******* belive he talked me into ordering 3 MTM shirts at full retail......
confused.gif

-Some of the crew at Wilkes Bashford SF. Its really hit or miss but some of the staff are AWESOME even if they know you're not walking in with an unlimited checking acct (as most of their cust are)
-Some of the crew at Barney's SF--5th Flr--some real gems of gents there.
-Me--I take care of my customers
-Some of the crew at Malouf's Burlingame.

IMO, a good salesperson at a high end store knows how to "invest" in their customers--as in they're not alwyas looking for the quick sale and know that if the service is there, you become customers for life. Sale rack today, Kiton Floor tomorrow.

Having said that, the BAD:
MOST of the SA at Wilkes, Palo Alto
Neiman Marcus--pretty much every one I've been to but especially SF+PA
MOST of the staff at Bloomingdale's SF except the Shoe dept--
FERRAGAMO SF--OMG ARE THEY ******* BAD. 1st time I went in there, thought it was a fluke but the chinese girl who was in there looked me up and down blatantly and would not even acknowledge me presence. Everytime thereafter either the gay dude or that same chinese girl was there and I received the same treatment.
Your ******* ferragamo for god's sake. the poor man's luxury brand
plain.gif

I can go on and on..

Adding to the bay area list:

Good:
Ralph Lauren in Burlingame. Small store but friendly staff. Mgr is sort of anal about online returns but usually complies if you tell her.

Rugby in PA. THere's a PT girl, blonde, probably in high school but absolute jailbait.

Burberry in PA and SF. Friendly and helpful. In PA, there's some old woman that was very accommodating even though we didn't buy anything and helped us find some sales stuff in the back and in other stores as well.

Bad:
Neiman Marcus in SF and PA. Just horrible. Might as well have been mannequins.

Nordstroms everywhere with a few exceptions here and there. Completely out for the quick sale.

Ralph Lauren in PA. The gay asian guy is ok, but the younger asian guy and the old white guy with glasses are total snobs.

Zegna in PA. Nonchalant and snobbish.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Tokyo, the SA's at 45RPM on Meiji Dori have been incredibly helpful everytime I've been there.They dDon't mind my broken japanese, and try their best in English. Kapital in Ebisu have great SAs as well. A lot of stores in Tokyo are good at service.

Worst would probably be Undercover.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best:
Banana Republic
J. Crew
Zara
Club Monaco
United Colors of Benetton

Worst:
Urban Outfitters
Saks
H&M

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Please excuse me if I am out of line but I thought this thread clearly stated "best" assistants.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Big thanks to all our customers who gave us props!

I'll echo their sentiments and say that the independent affiliates on SF all provide excellent customer service. And I'm not buttering you up by saying this, but SF customers are far and away the most polite and pleasant customers I've encountered. I've bought from Farinelli's, Self Edge, Crane's, MJK, and Context - and it's been wonderful every time. I'm sure that the other shops are just as good.

Here in the city, I've had very good service at:

Jeffrey (I think they set the standard for luxury shops)
John Varvatos
Odin East Village (not so much at their Lafayette street location)
Alden Shop on Madison
Soula (great for Clarks Originals, two locations in Brooklyn)
Bloomingdale's Soho.

Not so good service:
Saks & Barneys. I never get a normal SA there. They either don't care at all, or they're all over you. Most of the times, they've got no idea about any product on the floor. This is for the more SW&D merchandise.
Scoop: Don't get me started.
Supreme: I couldn't resist their Public Enemy vans, and was treated like an asshole through the painful buying process of getting them.

I've always been enamored of Japanese retailers and their customer service, but I have to say that my experiences in Hong Kong even top that. I've had unbelievably polite and helpful staff at Lane Crawford and countless smaller boutiques. Me amo Hong Kong muy mucho. That's the standard that I shoot for.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
I'll echo their sentiments and say that the independent affiliates on SF all provide excellent customer service.

I was going to sit here and type "wait, don't forget about Shop Detour!" on top of the love your store, Context, MJK, Farinelli's, etc. (deservedly) receive, but it's kind of redundant. You can basically assume all the SF affiliates provide great service.

My picks:

Co-Ops @ Aventura & Miami Beach: Both have great SAs, very willing to help. Didn't expect the great service I received.

RL @ Georgetown: SA more than willing to help with RRL; also provided water to postpone fainting on a ****** DC summer day.

jubei

Reaction score
Goyard Flagships (SF and Paris): The merchandise may be overpriced, but the service is top, top top. I have not met more accomodating or patient SA's elsewhere. That is what luxury shopping should be about.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nohomo
Adding to the bay area list:

Bad:

Ralph Lauren in PA. The gay asian guy is ok, but the younger asian guy and the old white guy with glasses are total snobs.

Zegna in PA. Nonchalant and snobbish.

-RL in PA: Robert (tall white dude) is AWESOME! But the other guys incl. the flaming Asian dude are pretty snooty

Zegna in PA: Dont get me started. you'd think you were asking THEM for money....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads