• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions to ask a local tailor about bespoke

Standard Toaster

Reaction score
I've just found a small local menswear shop (the tweedy sort) that does bespoke. It's run by an old bloke, who seems respectable enough. He says a bespoke jacket will be around £600-700 depending on the fabric. It seems a bit too cheap, but I'm considering it. What questions should I ask before taking the plunge?
  • Fully canvassed?
  • High armholes?
  • Working cuffs?
  • Basted fitting?
  • Gorge height? Are bespoke tailors prepared to deviate from what they normally do?
  • Anything else?
edit: This will be my first bespoke purchase.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they should normally be able to deviate from their usual stuff. Gorge height is not a sea change anyway.

£6-700 could be OK for a provincial tailor (I know a guy in Bristol in that price range -- his work seems decent, though I never tried. I use a provincial tailor in Italy). I'd agree that it's worth a try. Where are you based?

Your list seems pretty much complete. Maybe you also want to ask him not to use ready-made shoulder pads (which is not to say that there shouldn't be any padding/wadding -- that's a style choice).

Good luck!

Millerp

Reaction score
You should ask him to show you a completed jacket, preferably worn by the person
who commissioned it.

All the bespoke details in the world don't matter a bit if the garment doesn't fit
and look good.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where the work is done.

How would he style clothing for your body type.

What would he change/adjust/improve from what you wear presently.

What does he view as your fitting issues.

Will I look like an old bloke or a young dude when he is finished

Tell him how fitted or easy you want your clothes to fit.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of tailors near my office in London (Sims & MacDonald and Connock & Lockie) do bespoke jackets starting at that price, so it sounds about right, I'd say.

Hope you'll be able to post the results when complete!

Albern

Reaction score
To the OP. You should also ensure it's handmade otherwise it's no longer bespoke but is merely high-end MTM. I'm assuming he'll be drafting a pattern for you.

taillefer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Yes, they should normally be able to deviate from their usual stuff. Gorge height is not a sea change anyway.

£6-700 could be OK for a provincial tailor (I know a guy in Bristol in that price range -- his work seems decent, though I never tried. I use a provincial tailor in Italy). I'd agree that it's worth a try. Where are you based?

Your list seems pretty much complete. Maybe you also want to ask him not to use ready-made shoulder pads (which is not to say that there shouldn't be any padding/wadding -- that's a style choice).

Good luck!

Hello,

This is my first post so apologies if I make any mistakes in etiquette etc, howevr I wonder if you could confirm the name of the tailor in Bristol you mentioned?

Thanks

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taillefer
Hello,

This is my first post so apologies if I make any mistakes in etiquette etc, howevr I wonder if you could confirm the name of the tailor in Bristol you mentioned?

Thanks

Territo, on Park St (towards the bottom, on the left side as you're going up. It's on the first floor, so look at the old fashioned writing on the windows. I've used him for alterations, and it was fine.)

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same situations. In which city are you located? I ask because we might be thinking of the same tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads