• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharpe
I'm a bit of a newbie, so can someone explain why it's important to rotate boots with another pair? What's wrong with wearing them every day? Do they need time to breath between wearings for some reason?

Main reason: sweaty feet. Your feet give off quite a lot of moisture in the form of sweat. This is absorbed by the leather. Your boots need time to dry out between wearings.

Make sure you get some red cedar boot trees as well. The boot tree facilitates the drying process, keeps the form of the boot and makes them smell good as well.

Cheers

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Main reason: sweaty feet. Your feet give off quite a lot of moisture in the form of sweat. This is absorbed by the leather. Your boots need time to dry out between wearings.

Make sure you get some red cedar boot trees as well. The boot tree facilitates the drying process, keeps the form of the boot and makes them smell good as well.

Cheers

Which is something I need to do...get off my butt and get some boot trees for my HBC's.

Sharpe

Reaction score
Ah I see - thanks. Will be a while before I buy another pair of boots, but I can rotate them with other shoes that I have for now.

Also - noticed on my boot that one of them isn't finished very well - some of the paint or whatever it is that goes over the collection b/w the sole and the boot was peeled back a little...is this normal/common? I'll post pics later but I assume this is just a regular thing and nothing to worry about.

wosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sharpe
Ah I see - thanks. Will be a while before I buy another pair of boots, but I can rotate them with other shoes that I have for now.

Also - noticed on my boot that one of them isn't finished very well - some of the paint or whatever it is that goes over the collection b/w the sole and the boot was peeled back a little...is this normal/common? I'll post pics later but I assume this is just a regular thing and nothing to worry about.

Sounds like something that I can see on my boots too.

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Which is something I need to do...get off my butt and get some boot trees for my HBC's.

Wraith, you of all people! No boot trees. I thought better of you.

Cheers

wosk

Reaction score
Oh, what shoe trees do you people use for your craftsman? Right now I'm only using a pair of cedar wood but on a spring. I'm thinking about what to buy (expensive shipping costs on the buggers).

amce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wosk
Oh, what shoe trees do you people use for your craftsman? Right now I'm only using a pair of cedar wood but on a spring. I'm thinking about what to buy (expensive shipping costs on the buggers).

I have two types: a no-name, split toe, full heel that I found at a cobbler here in Sweden. I like these a lot. Then I have the model that RMW sells. These have neither the split toe nor the full heel but the high curve fills out the vamp on the RM's pretty good. Better on the G lasts than on the wider H.

I think they are made for RMW by Rochester in the States. Google them and check out their price point. RMW's price is a bit steep. Check out Cederville as well.

Are there any manufacturers of trees in Oz? Anyone out there have a clue?

Cheers

Jeff H

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm continuing to figure out my correct fit in RM Williams, and just received Blaxland and Gardener boots.

I have a question about the inside leather footbed. On all the boots, if I rub my fingers around the leather footbed, it's all smooth, except: on the center line at about 30% of the way down the length of the boot, and again at about 80% down there's a small rough spot that feels like a nail head or a stitch, or something like that.

Neither spot seems to bother me, because I don't think my foot is touching the footbed at those points; they're located around the arch and at the start of my toes.

Is this a defect, or just a normal result of the construction? Could others please do a quick check on their Craftsman-Blaxland-Gardener-Yard-etc (that is, the leather footbed, not Comfort, models) boots to see if they notice the same thing?

Thanks!

Jeff

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amce
Wraith, you of all people! No boot trees. I thought better of you.

Cheers

I know, I know. Still, I never wear them two days in a row and do take care of them otherwise. But yes, I need those boot trees...and another pair of boots for proper boot rotation purposes. Another pair of chelseas and some chukkas are on my 'to get' list.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about others here, but my boots are not MTM (or MTO either). I bought them online at one of the few online retailers in Baxter Boots. RMW doesn't do MTM either, but they do make MTO boots for their customers. If you want MTM/bespoke, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
just my 2c, the RMW trees aren't all that good. i had to have two sole inserts on my 8G's so that the wood would reach the vamp and upper of the shoe. they are also too thin in the width even in G width.

regards,

ps. anyone know if RMW will send out lasted trees?

Sharpe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I don't know about others here, but my boots are not MTM (or MTO either). I bought them online at one of the few online retailers in Baxter Boots. RMW doesn't do MTM either, but they do make MTO boots for their customers. If you want MTM/bespoke, you'll need to look elsewhere.

I was under the impression you can get MTM boots? But perhaps not.

Either way, you CAN get a different size for each foot if you need it apparently.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RMW offer a MTO service, not a MTM service. MTM/bespoke is where a shoe/boot is specifically made to your measurements, and RMW do not supply such a service. There several shoe/bootmakers, some even on this very forum, who do supply such a service, but they are quite expensive (and rightfully so).

Sharpe

Reaction score
Thanks, TheWraith.

Though I do wonder what great benefits are to be had from MTM shoes. Clearly, MTM clothes make a difference, but as long as a shoe fits comfortably, can mold to your foot a bit, and doesnt move around too much or squish your feet/toes, then it's fine. It's not as if the exact measurement of your boot will be noticeable to your appearance?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads