• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imightbechad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
^ good-looking boot. is that horween chromexcel in the alden roy boot the same as the horween chromexcel in the wolverine 1000 mile? looks like it. i prefer the barrie's shape, the storm welt, and crepe sole to the wolverine boot. otherwise how are they different for $325 vs $445

Killer boots, man:

1152.jpg

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn those Context guys
smile.gif

I bought the Tanker and I just picked up Indy boots and now these come out. Killer looking boots, I'm going to have to stop in and check those out for sure....though not sure I can afford them.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok so im in the market to get new boots for fall/winter. so forgive my noobishness...

i was under the impression that aldens (especially the cordovans) are more for looks and to wear out for nice occasions, etc. but not to be rough with them and use them for wearing in tough weather and for general outdoor purposes. is that for aldens in general or just because of the cordovan material?

those context roy boots look great and they say these are a "lifetime" boot. which i am guessing is to mean they are supposed to be worn rough and to wear them hard?

i was thinking of getting some redwings but these look amazing ...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just curious, I have seen Alden do this a lot but what is the purpose of leather toes in the sole? Does it serve any purpose or just for looks? People usually gets leather soled shoes toppied (sp?) by the toe to protect the leather but this one seems to go teh opposite direction by putting the leather ina position where it will most like get messed up faster.

Beautiful none-theless.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
i was under the impression that aldens (especially the cordovans) are more for looks and to wear out for nice occasions, etc. but not to be rough with them and use them for wearing in tough weather and for general outdoor purposes. is that for aldens in general or just because of the cordovan material?

alden's workwear boots ... this, the indy, etc. ... are as tough as anything red wing or chippewa or wolverine or whatever.

some will pamper them more because they paid more for them. not too many are going to wear $650 shell boots out in the snow, or to dig up trees, or to stand on the street all day with the orange vest holding the "SLOW" sign.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Just curious, I have seen Alden do this a lot but what is the purpose of leather toes in the sole? Does it serve any purpose or just for looks? People usually gets leather soled shoes toppied (sp?) by the toe to protect the leather but this one seems to go teh opposite direction by putting the leather ina position where it will most like get messed up faster.
It's easier and cheaper to replace a worn down leather toe than it is to replace an entire crepe sole.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
alden's workwear boots ... this, the indy, etc. ... are as tough as anything red wing or chippewa or wolverine or whatever.

some will pamper them more because they paid more for them. not too many are going to wear $650 shell boots out in the snow, or to dig up trees, or to stand on the street all day with the orange vest holding the "SLOW" sign.

great thanks, you helped alot ... yeah i was hoping it was just the material of shell cordovan that was to be more pampered. but i figured that these could be dealt with more "realistically"

i understand the argument that if you were going to be really rough whats the point of spending 450+ on these, but im leaning more towards if these will really last a long time why NOT spend that much. those wovlerines 1000 are 350 and redwings range upwards of 250. so i would spend the extra 100+ for these for the quality, look, and last ...

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how do you size these? if i wear a 8.5 in clarks db and a 42 in common projects, do i got 8.5 in these aldens or should i go to an 8?

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 41 in CP and and 8 in Aldens (regardless of the last). If 42's fit you well in CP then I would go with a 8.5 or 9. (8.5 is a safer bet in the Barrie last since this last runs slightly larger than most other Alden lasts.)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
It's easier and cheaper to replace a worn down leather toe than it is to replace an entire crepe sole.

Ahhh, that makes sense, but wouldn't be easier if they just made that part rubber (non-crepe)? It'll be cheaper and easier to change I would imagine. I guess I'm just over analizing at that point.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA

Alden's NYC store (212 678-3023) has whiskey shell cordovan in stock. Just picked up a pair of the longwings that I've been looking for for years now, apparently they have chukkas and PTBs as well.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Those context boots with the crepe sole are pretty slick, I had no idea they were even making those till I got the e-mail. I wonder if they are going to have any more "context exclusive" models in the future, would be interested to see if they do any other lasts than the Barrie. I gotta put up pics of the af-89s that I got recently which are on the leydon last, Alden of Carmel really has some very beautiful high boot models.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
the context boots look good head on, but something is off with the side profile. the sole color maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads