• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Backpack: Need, but Do Not Like

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Huntsman, that first bag is nice.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic
don't buy a nylon backpack Saddleback Leather They have backpacks and messengers in different sizes, plus the messengers convert to backpacks if you want. they are tougher than a two dollar steak and look great as well. I get compliments all the time. I've got the messenger in medium and i can get a 15" laptop, portfolio, and a couple books in there with plenty of space for pens, cellphone, etc. possible issues: they can be on the spendy side (300-500) but you'll never need to buy another they are on the heavy side: double layered - full grain leather and suede/pigskin, solid hardware, but i've never had a problem walking around town for a day with a loaded bag. you can buy seconds on ebay under the username 'againsttheflow' (may not have the double 't')
Dude. I mean, dude. Why did you have to do this to me? I couldn't bring myself to buy some POS after I saw these bags. Seriously. And I appreciate their philosophy and business practices. That adds up to a sale in my book. I just bought a Medium Briefcase in Chestnut. I've been speaking with them via email and they are coming out with some new bags, one of which I'm also going to wind up getting for when I'm just running to class with a text, folder, and netbook. I haven't got it yet, but I'm already an addict. It even makes that Filson I wanted look cheap. Dude. Thanks. (I think). ~ H

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
they might be pretty, but I think you will regret buying a heavy bag.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For law school, I carry a messenger bag with a laptop and my notebooks and also a tote bag with the 2-3 casebooks I need for the day.

I take a bus to school and, while it is a little unwieldy, it isn't a horrible solution. I'm not a huge backpack person.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Man so close to buying that ervell a couple years ago still regret it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Dunno. Will find out. If need be I shall gift it onwards and buy something else. I did carry a freaking aluminum briefcase all through undergrad, and that was not light but made me happy so I kept with it. My trusty Zero just doesn't have the room now. And those pretty bags convert to backpacks in less than a minute, so I expect I'll employ that modality while on the long walk. And hey, if I'm lightly loaded I can throw my D200 in there also.
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
For law school, I carry a messenger bag with a laptop and my notebooks and also a tote bag with the 2-3 casebooks I need for the day. I take a bus to school and, while it is a little unwieldy, it isn't a horrible solution. I'm not a huge backpack person.
I feel your pain, but I won't do two bags. I'm sure it isn't horrible, either, but I have a heck of a walk from the train station. ~H

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As a backpack they're fine unless you are a pathetic wimp. If you sling them over the shoulder (and I'm talking about the briefcase model) then it will get uncomfortable after an hour or two. If you just hold it like a briefcase, you better go to the gym. Mine is awesome, I love it, but when I'm doing my weekend trip, I use a nylon bag because I don't want the extra weight. But going to work, it's great and I love it.

Again, I love these bags but remember that since they're completely made out of full grain leather, they are pretty ******* heavy compared to a nylon backpack. Definitely sure they'll outlast me though.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Dude. I mean, dude. Why did you have to do this to me? I couldn't bring myself to buy some POS after I saw these bags. Seriously. And I appreciate their philosophy and business practices. That adds up to a sale in my book.
Eh. Their bags are made in Mexico, which would be fine if they didn't charge so much (debatable) and didn't go to such great pains to conceal it (less debatable). They crossed a line when they started astroturfing posts all over the internet (including here). That combined with the overweening turbochristian thing is pretty ******* obnoxious. Maybe they've gotten their **** together. I really have no idea. What bags did they are on the way?
Also this. TAD Gear crew represent.
fpedcfgd13650w.jpg

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A true back pack is a functional load bearing piece of gear and is not designed with fashion in mind. Packs from Osprey are a prime example. The most important aspect of a pack is the harness period. They are designed to distribute weight comfortably and won't tear you up in the process. Half the packs in this thread aren't worth a **** for carrying around loads nearing 30 pounds. The harnesses are pretty much a joke and the materials used for the body won't last long. So if you are seriously worried about load carrying then buy a real day pack from a company that is known for making high quality hiking packs and get over the style issue. To me this is like asking if this framing hammer is stylish instead of asking if it will drive a 16 Penney nail in two hits. Some things are just oxymoronic and that's that.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I appreciate that you live in a rugged part of Montana, but pretty much none of what you said applies to my NYC lifestyle.

Originally Posted by Crane's
A true back pack is a functional load bearing piece of gear and is not designed with fashion in mind. Packs from Osprey are a prime example. The most important aspect of a pack is the harness period. They are designed to distribute weight comfortably and won't tear you up in the process. Half the packs in this thread aren't worth a **** for carrying around loads nearing 30 pounds. The harnesses are pretty much a joke and the materials used for the body won't last long. So if you are seriously worried about load carrying then buy a real day pack from a company that is known for making high quality hiking packs and get over the style issue. To me this is like asking if this framing hammer is stylish instead of asking if it will drive a 16 Penney nail in two hits. Some things are just oxymoronic and that's that.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Well a hammer isn't exactly something you wear and besides, I don't think functionality and form should always be mutually exclusive. We are, after all, on a style forum and nobody is going hiking with these or loading up 30 lbs.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use this
kankenbig.jpg
to school/office, around town and for short trips. Loads 22 litre, sturdy fabric and very simple design wise. Computer, books and extra clothes. Also have a nifty outside compartment for a paper or an umbrella.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I appreciate that you live in a rugged part of Montana, but pretty much none of what you said applies to my NYC lifestyle.

Where you live has nothing to do with it. What matters is how far you're stuck dragging X amount of stuff around. If it's a block that's one thing if it's miles it's another.

Originally Posted by jet
Well a hammer isn't exactly something you wear and besides, I don't think functionality and form should always be mutually exclusive. We are, after all, on a style forum and nobody is going hiking with these or loading up 30 lbs.

Actually you're missing the other element when it comes to designing something. That element is fit as in fit for an intended purpose. As far as load weights are concerned a poster in this thread weighed up their stuff and it was 26 pounds or so. My guess would be that a typical load would weigh between 20 and 30 pounds given the information offered in this thread. As I said before most of the "style" driven packs in this thread are not designed for this type of load. Neither are their harnesses which is far more important. The harness is what will either make you or break you physically. I don't concern myself with whether or not something is quote stylish when my body is at stake. The only real concern should be whether it is fit for the intended purpose and has the correct form for the intended purpose. If it does then it will perform well for the intended purpose. Screw up fitness and form and you can forget about functionality.

Sigmatic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Eh. Their bags are made in Mexico, which would be fine if they didn't charge so much (debatable) and didn't go to such great pains to conceal it (less debatable). They crossed a line when they started astroturfing posts all over the internet (including here). That combined with the overweening turbochristian thing is pretty ******* obnoxious. Maybe they've gotten their **** together. I really have no idea. What bags did they are on the way?

don't buy one. if a 'made in' tag and the owners' personal beliefs are more important to you than the product itself, you obviously won't appreciate it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads