Backpack: Need, but Do Not Like

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Huntsman, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Robert

Robert Senior member

Huntsman, that first bag is nice.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

don't buy a nylon backpack Saddleback Leather They have backpacks and messengers in different sizes, plus the messengers convert to backpacks if you want. they are tougher than a two dollar steak and look great as well. I get compliments all the time. I've got the messenger in medium and i can get a 15" laptop, portfolio, and a couple books in there with plenty of space for pens, cellphone, etc. possible issues: they can be on the spendy side (300-500) but you'll never need to buy another they are on the heavy side: double layered - full grain leather and suede/pigskin, solid hardware, but i've never had a problem walking around town for a day with a loaded bag. you can buy seconds on ebay under the username 'againsttheflow' (may not have the double 't')
    Dude. I mean, dude. Why did you have to do this to me? I couldn't bring myself to buy some POS after I saw these bags. Seriously. And I appreciate their philosophy and business practices. That adds up to a sale in my book. I just bought a Medium Briefcase in Chestnut. I've been speaking with them via email and they are coming out with some new bags, one of which I'm also going to wind up getting for when I'm just running to class with a text, folder, and netbook. I haven't got it yet, but I'm already an addict. It even makes that Filson I wanted look cheap. Dude. Thanks. (I think). ~ H

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

they might be pretty, but I think you will regret buying a heavy bag.

4. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

For law school, I carry a messenger bag with a laptop and my notebooks and also a tote bag with the 2-3 casebooks I need for the day.

I take a bus to school and, while it is a little unwieldy, it isn't a horrible solution. I'm not a huge backpack person.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Man so close to buying that ervell a couple years ago still regret it.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Dunno. Will find out. If need be I shall gift it onwards and buy something else. I did carry a freaking aluminum briefcase all through undergrad, and that was not light but made me happy so I kept with it. My trusty Zero just doesn't have the room now. And those pretty bags convert to backpacks in less than a minute, so I expect I'll employ that modality while on the long walk. And hey, if I'm lightly loaded I can throw my D200 in there also.
    For law school, I carry a messenger bag with a laptop and my notebooks and also a tote bag with the 2-3 casebooks I need for the day. I take a bus to school and, while it is a little unwieldy, it isn't a horrible solution. I'm not a huge backpack person.
    I feel your pain, but I won't do two bags. I'm sure it isn't horrible, either, but I have a heck of a walk from the train station. ~H

7. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

As a backpack they're fine unless you are a pathetic wimp. If you sling them over the shoulder (and I'm talking about the briefcase model) then it will get uncomfortable after an hour or two. If you just hold it like a briefcase, you better go to the gym. Mine is awesome, I love it, but when I'm doing my weekend trip, I use a nylon bag because I don't want the extra weight. But going to work, it's great and I love it.

Again, I love these bags but remember that since they're completely made out of full grain leather, they are pretty fucking heavy compared to a nylon backpack. Definitely sure they'll outlast me though.

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Dude. I mean, dude. Why did you have to do this to me? I couldn't bring myself to buy some POS after I saw these bags. Seriously. And I appreciate their philosophy and business practices. That adds up to a sale in my book.
    Eh. Their bags are made in Mexico, which would be fine if they didn't charge so much (debatable) and didn't go to such great pains to conceal it (less debatable). They crossed a line when they started astroturfing posts all over the internet (including here). That combined with the overweening turbochristian thing is pretty fucking obnoxious. Maybe they've gotten their shit together. I really have no idea. What bags did they are on the way?
    Also this. TAD Gear crew represent. [​IMG]

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

A true back pack is a functional load bearing piece of gear and is not designed with fashion in mind. Packs from Osprey are a prime example. The most important aspect of a pack is the harness period. They are designed to distribute weight comfortably and won't tear you up in the process. Half the packs in this thread aren't worth a shit for carrying around loads nearing 30 pounds. The harnesses are pretty much a joke and the materials used for the body won't last long. So if you are seriously worried about load carrying then buy a real day pack from a company that is known for making high quality hiking packs and get over the style issue. To me this is like asking if this framing hammer is stylish instead of asking if it will drive a 16 Penney nail in two hits. Some things are just oxymoronic and that's that.

11. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

I appreciate that you live in a rugged part of Montana, but pretty much none of what you said applies to my NYC lifestyle.

A true back pack is a functional load bearing piece of gear and is not designed with fashion in mind. Packs from Osprey are a prime example. The most important aspect of a pack is the harness period. They are designed to distribute weight comfortably and won't tear you up in the process. Half the packs in this thread aren't worth a shit for carrying around loads nearing 30 pounds. The harnesses are pretty much a joke and the materials used for the body won't last long. So if you are seriously worried about load carrying then buy a real day pack from a company that is known for making high quality hiking packs and get over the style issue. To me this is like asking if this framing hammer is stylish instead of asking if it will drive a 16 Penney nail in two hits. Some things are just oxymoronic and that's that.

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

Well a hammer isn't exactly something you wear and besides, I don't think functionality and form should always be mutually exclusive. We are, after all, on a style forum and nobody is going hiking with these or loading up 30 lbs.

13. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I use this [​IMG] to school/office, around town and for short trips. Loads 22 litre, sturdy fabric and very simple design wise. Computer, books and extra clothes. Also have a nifty outside compartment for a paper or an umbrella.

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

I appreciate that you live in a rugged part of Montana, but pretty much none of what you said applies to my NYC lifestyle.

Where you live has nothing to do with it. What matters is how far you're stuck dragging X amount of stuff around. If it's a block that's one thing if it's miles it's another.

Well a hammer isn't exactly something you wear and besides, I don't think functionality and form should always be mutually exclusive. We are, after all, on a style forum and nobody is going hiking with these or loading up 30 lbs.

Actually you're missing the other element when it comes to designing something. That element is fit as in fit for an intended purpose. As far as load weights are concerned a poster in this thread weighed up their stuff and it was 26 pounds or so. My guess would be that a typical load would weigh between 20 and 30 pounds given the information offered in this thread. As I said before most of the "style" driven packs in this thread are not designed for this type of load. Neither are their harnesses which is far more important. The harness is what will either make you or break you physically. I don't concern myself with whether or not something is quote stylish when my body is at stake. The only real concern should be whether it is fit for the intended purpose and has the correct form for the intended purpose. If it does then it will perform well for the intended purpose. Screw up fitness and form and you can forget about functionality.

15. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

Eh. Their bags are made in Mexico, which would be fine if they didn't charge so much (debatable) and didn't go to such great pains to conceal it (less debatable). They crossed a line when they started astroturfing posts all over the internet (including here). That combined with the overweening turbochristian thing is pretty fucking obnoxious. Maybe they've gotten their shit together. I really have no idea. What bags did they are on the way?

don't buy one. if a 'made in' tag and the owners' personal beliefs are more important to you than the product itself, you obviously won't appreciate it.