• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

WE350B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
should i purchase the red wing x jcrew in the same size as my clarks dbs?

Yes. I'm usually a 9, sometimes a 9.5, and I wear an 8.5 for my RW X JCrew and both my DB's. The RW will still feel very slightly larger than the DB because they are work boots meant to be worn with thicker socks, after all (which I don't do BTW).

captainmo

Reaction score
If you aren't sure about sizing you could order a couple pairs from zappos of other red wings (the 'classic lifestyle') is pretty similar to the jcrew x RW, and find your sizing that way - free shipping both ways. Or you could go to a RW store if there's one near you.

I ordered a pair of 8.5s from Zappos and will be ordering a pair of 8s from jcrew, assuming they have some kind of return policy in case I need to go down to 7.5.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and im actually looking to purchase one of the jcrew x red wings off of ebay cuz they are really cheap ... anyone have any experience or horror stories about them?

they are authentic but are marked on the sole for no returns. and no box with most of htem on there but they have most of the sizes at pretty cheap prices

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
doesnt that mean i should size down to size 8?

I take a solid 10 in Desert boots and Desert Treks. I'd take a 9.5 in almost any Red Wing boot. We sell Thorogood boots in the store - which have a similar shaped last - and nearly every customer sizes down one half. If you take an 8.5 in DB's, then I'd say you're very safe with an 8 in Red Wings.

huffer4

Reaction score
I don't have any Desert boots, but I know I they are the same size as my Chucks, if that helps for reference.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
I take a solid 10 in Desert boots and Desert Treks. I'd take a 9.5 in almost any Red Wing boot. We sell Thorogood boots in the store - which have a similar shaped last - and nearly every customer sizes down one half. If you take an 8.5 in DB's, then I'd say you're very safe with an 8 in Red Wings.

again epualet you are amazingly helpful. i loved your thorogood boots by the way. i was actually deciding between 1000 mile wolverines, your thorogood, and red wing x jcrew. am prolly leaning towards the RWs because of their price on ebay.

but i cant wait for your flannels!!!

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I remembered after I had placed my order that I had seen the chukkas in person back in Jan. The color is more accurate here than some of the other photos I've seen online:

Hey whodini - Did you ever pick a pair of the Chukka's then? I'm a size 8.5 in Chucks and Clarks and recently purchsaed a pait of the Briar Oil Slicks in an 8D and 8.5D and the 8.5D actually worked out better so the 8D's are going back. They didn't have the wider widths available though or I imagine the 8EE's would also have worked. The 8.5D's also allow me to get away with thicker socks for the upcoming winter. I could have done it in the 8D's, but it was too umcomfortable from jump and I picturted them staying that way even after a break in period.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
again epualet you are amazingly helpful. i loved your thorogood boots by the way. i was actually deciding between 1000 mile wolverines, your thorogood, and red wing x jcrew. am prolly leaning towards the RWs because of their price on ebay.

but i cant wait for your flannels!!!

Thanks Pierce! The J.Crew RW's are awesome - I remember really sweating the ones that they put out last year. They'll definitely be a great hookup with the flannels.

If the Ebay seller has a decent feedback rating then they're probably safe. The boots might just be factory seconds, or units from J.Crew with too much shop wear. If the price is right, then you really can't go wrong with them.

LAPL

Reaction score
I normally wear a 11 in DB's, but I bought a 10.5 in the Red Wing Gentleman's Travelers and they fit great.

Leonard Leroy

Reaction score
I plan on somehow getting a hold of the Red Wing 2268s Engineer Boots (not sold in the US) someday.

Anyone know a pair of Red Wings that fit comparatively?

Narwhale

Reaction score
and im actually looking to purchase one of the jcrew x red wings off of ebay cuz they are really cheap ... anyone have any experience or horror stories about them?

they are authentic but are marked on the sole for no returns. and no box with most of htem on there but they have most of the sizes at pretty cheap prices

I bought a pair from the seller you're probably looking at (paisleypetunia?) a few months ago and have had no issues or complaints with them. They're marked on the insole, not on the bottom as I was assuming. Mine didn't appear to be seconds in any way. Let me know if you have any more questions. I wear an 8 in Clarks DBs and went with 7.5 which worked out great.

pete5555

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can buy redwing gt 1911 or the usa version online and what the price might be

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads