1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Wupper, Jan 31, 2008.

1. dragonxking

dragonxking Senior member

the beckman mocs are so sick. but i went with the 1907 boot. something about that crepe sole..each step i take is silent. ninja status

2. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Senior member

I personally like insoles for a few reasons.

They make the shoe a lot more comfortable. Redwing original built in sole are pretty bare and can be a little difficult to wear.

Adding the insoles allows you to remove them for washing and airing, reducing odor and bacteria.

Finally, they are replaceable, unlike the original built in soles.

Yeah I gotta have insoles. Even a thin one is better than none. I use a thin oder eater in my GTs. Without it its like walking on pavement.

3. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

got my dark corn row rwi's yesterday. definitely not as hard on my feet as US red wings and lined pretty well, the leather really is more supple and they look and feel great. gonna be a great go-to boot for crappy winter days.

4. Zintintin

Zintintin Senior member

Just kopped the most bad ass Red Wing boots ever made, period.

Ronnie Fieg (at David Z) x Red Wing collab

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm just hoping they fit. They were released last Thursday, and are already sold out of most sizes.

So. So. Sick.

5. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] My new 2268s. The instep is painfully tight right now, hoping that repeated use of mink oil, a hair dryer, and a long wooden stick will make it better so that I can at least wear normal socks with these instead of paper-thin dress socks. Sucks because they're perfect otherwise [​IMG] edit: I'm an impatient bastard so I just did the tried and true method of soaking these guys in water while wearing them until they dry. Hoping that works out.

6. illumin8em

illumin8em Senior member

I had an old guy in a farmers surplus store near where i live ell me to do the same thing. Not with engineers, with a pair of RW pecos, but what works for should work for he other... right?

where did you hear about this method?

[​IMG]

edit: I'm an impatient bastard so I just did the tried and true method of soaking these guys in water while wearing them until they dry. Hoping that works out.

7. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

Are the RW Classics suitable for hiking? Can someone post pictures of the worn out pairs.

8. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

got my dark corn row rwi's yesterday. definitely not as hard on my feet as US red wings and lined pretty well, the leather really is more supple and they look and feel great. gonna be a great go-to boot for crappy winter days.

Have the same ones. They are virtually waterproof.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

[​IMG]

My new 2268s. The instep is painfully tight right now, hoping that repeated use of mink oil, a hair dryer, and a long wooden stick will make it better so that I can at least wear normal socks with these instead of paper-thin dress socks. Sucks because they're perfect otherwise [​IMG]

edit: I'm an impatient bastard so I just did the tried and true method of soaking these guys in water while wearing them until they dry. Hoping that works out.

From here on out, your only clothing purchases will be: a new pair of selvedge jeans once a year or every two years, and a new pack of V-neck undershirts once in awhile. You are Marlon Brando.

10. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

Which would you recommend to wear with jeans? 9010 Beckman Moc Toe or the 9011 GT? I kinda like the moc toe, but I am open for suggestions. Any differences between the two (aside from the moc toe) in terms of constructions / materials?

11. aeglus

From here on out, your only clothing purchases will be: a new pair of selvedge jeans once a year or every two years, and a new pack of V-neck undershirts once in awhile. You are Marlon Brando.

Basically. I just need a motorcycle now but fuck driving in Korea, I don't wanna die [​IMG]

12. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

those look cool. I was wearing my 875's this morning and still can't get used to the weight difference between my torn up MMM sneakers and the RW's, so I usually end up going with the lightweight stuff. [​IMG] RW's will never get worn in...

14. aeglus

I had an old guy in a farmers surplus store near where i live ell me to do the same thing. Not with engineers, with a pair of RW pecos, but what works for should work for he other... right?

where did you hear about this method?

Now that they're mostly dry but still damp after more than a day, I'll just say that it seems like it saved at least a week on the break-in process. Went from painfully tight to snug, but still needs some work to mold to the contours of my feet.

Basically on Sunday I dumped water in them, kept them on for about 3-4 hours. Put shoe trees in them at night (this was a mistake, more later).

Next day, wore for another hour. Still wet. I stuffed towels in them as tight as possible, pushing the leather up slightly. Applied mink oil and let them sit overnight.

3rd day, still damp. However, went from pain in putting them on, to having no trouble. Still too snug, but mostly good. Should be comfy in a few more days. I'm surprised how long they hold water though.

15. snake

snake Senior member

Basically. I just need a motorcycle now but fuck driving in Korea, I don't wanna die [​IMG]

lol Have you ever been to Taiwan? I go every few years and it seems like the traffic just keeps on getting worse and worse. Too many people and not enough space. Given the number of close calls I've encountered, I feel that a drivers licence from Taiwan should be accepted and valid in other countries!

16. rcd213

rcd213 Active Member

Any help with a boot recommendation for me? This is the third time I'm posting this exact same reply on a thread, however thus far, I've gotten no responses. I think I'm leaning toward the moc-toe beckman, however I'm open to any/all recommendations. I'm not interested in any of the boots with the white/sponge/crepe sole; I don't really like how they look. Thanks.

Looking into the Red Wing 9011(GT-black cherry), 9010(Beckman- Black cherry), 8111(IR- Brown). and the LL Bean Katahdins. I'm debating on a stylish and comfortable pair of boots, that would complement a nice pair of jeans, with a button-down, cardigan, sweaters, etc, mainly for going out to bars in NYC when the weather isn't agreeable with my other shoes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

17. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

^You're looking at a few great boots. There's not massive price differences, so really you'll need to decide which ones best fit your style. The moc-toe beckman is a boot i love and want to pick up. It's classic and can be "dressed up" a bit thanks to the lower profile sole (not super chunky). same goes for the GT, which it probably the most versatile, depending on color--black cherry just doesn't work with some pants.

No one here can tell what you to get. You have to make the final call. if you have more specific questions about one of those styles, re: construction, fit, ability to pair w/ certain looks, then you need to ask it that way. you've already narrowed the field, i'm not sure what you're asking for, exactly.

18. rcd213

rcd213 Active Member

^You're looking at a few great boots. There's not massive price differences, so really you'll need to decide which ones best fit your style. The moc-toe beckman is a boot i love and want to pick up. It's classic and can be "dressed up" a bit thanks to the lower profile sole (not super chunky). same goes for the GT, which it probably the most versatile, depending on color--black cherry just doesn't work with some pants.

No one here can tell what you to get. You have to make the final call. if you have more specific questions about one of those styles, re: construction, fit, ability to pair w/ certain looks, then you need to ask it that way. you've already narrowed the field, i'm not sure what you're asking for, exactly.

I'm debating on a stylish and comfortable pair of boots, that would complement a nice pair of jeans, with a button-down, cardigan, sweaters, etc, mainly for going out to bars in NYC when the weather isn't agreeable with my other shoes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

First, thank you for the reply. I agree, the main reason I chose the Beckman, mock-toe and the gt is due to the quality of each and the low-profile sole. The IRs/Katahdin's are very similar, and I've all but ruled them out.
    I quoted above, but to reiterate, I'd be wearing them mainly with jeans (boot cut and straight-leg, moderately slim fit). My style is relatively conservative, with the mainstays being button-downs, polo shirts, sweaters, cardigans, nicer t-shirts with jeans; usually with a wool style coat (j. crew university coat) or lighter military cotton jacket. Usually I shop at stores like J. Crew, Martin & Osa, Banana Republic, United Colors of Benneton (sp?), Levis, etc.
    I'm 24 years old, 5'10, 180, with a muscular build, so slim fitting shirts and jeans really don't fit me well.
    I know ultimately its my choice, but i guess what I'm asking, what would be the downsides to the beckman style, and would it be okay for more than just casual outings, so i'll be able to wear it when going out on the weekends?

19. allreds

allreds Senior member

Have you tried on any RWs? I've been thinking about GTs, the Wolverine 1000 mile boots, and White's semi-dress boots. I hit my local RW shop today and found that all of the ratings on Zappos are true; they're flat and not very comfortable. As a such big name in boots, RW fails on comfort. I'm going to try on some Wolverines tomorrow.

20. obnavox3

obnavox3 Senior member

First, thank you for the reply. I agree, the main reason I chose the Beckman, mock-toe and the gt is due to the quality of each and the low-profile sole. The IRs/Katahdin's are very similar, and I've all but ruled them out. I quoted above, but to reiterate, I'd be wearing them mainly with jeans (boot cut and straight-leg, moderately slim fit). My style is relatively conservative, with the mainstays being button-downs, polo shirts, sweaters, cardigans, nicer t-shirts with jeans; usually with a wool style coat (j. crew university coat) or lighter military cotton jacket. Usually I shop at stores like J. Crew, Martin & Osa, Banana Republic, United Colors of Benneton (sp?), Levis, etc. I'm 24 years old, 5'10, 180, with a muscular build, so slim fitting shirts and jeans really don't fit me well. I know ultimately its my choice, but i guess what I'm asking, what would be the downsides to the beckman style, and would it be okay for more than just casual outings, so i'll be able to wear it when going out on the weekends?
    I am the same size as you and I went with the GTs in Chestnut. The black cherry is nice too but I think the chestnut is going to be more versatile. I don't want to throw down any money on some Aldens or anything right now.