• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

Twisty

Reaction score
Quick question for the (skinny) masses:

When your pants are, say, 7.5inch tapered, what kind of shoes do you wear? Do you think cap-toed shoes look awkward?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a good question. It is hard for me to find a shoe that looks good with jeans with a small leg opening. Cap-toes can look good but it depends on which ones. I normally wear boots that are on the narrow side as I think thats what looks best.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
That is a good question. It is hard for me to find a shoe that looks good with jeans with a small leg opening. Cap-toes can look good but it depends on which ones. I normally wear boots that are on the narrow side as I think thats what looks best.

How about suit pants?

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a pair of black Paul smith boots that I have. Funny thing is my dress pants are from the childrens section.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I tried on a dior 36 a few months ago and it was incredibly slim. I'm 6 foot 2 and 125 pound and it was actually a bit tight.

Thats a typo. yes?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twisty

When your pants are, say, 7.5inch tapered, what kind of shoes do you wear? Do you think cap-toed shoes look awkward?

Thinner lasted shoes are the best option IMO, but I actually like the slight disproportion of a 'big' shoe and tapered trouser. Provided you don't wear a size 13.

I think captoe may look a little off. I personally like the look of a clean wholecut, or wholecut with a medallion.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Thats a typo. yes?

No, I'm in my teens, chinese and just very skinny. For trousers with a very narrow leg opening I find slightly elongated balmoral brogues look pretty good, that or chelsea boots.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Great thread, I agree with almost everything, but not everything, you said in the OP. For reference: I'm 6'5 and 178lbs.
Originally Posted by Sebastian_Flyte
Rule #4: 100% wool jackets. Cotton is, again, your enemy!
Agreed on cotton pants, but I haven't noticed any problems with jackets. As long as you wear a jacket that fits right, that is.
Sweaters: finally, some good news
Not in my experience, unfortunately. Sweaters that fit right in the neck/shoulders/chest/waist are rarely long enough in the arms and body for me. I especially have problems finding cardigans that are long enough, almost to the point that I've given up.
Some brands that work H&M
H&M is hit and miss for me. Their M t-shirts fit great, but their M shirts and sweaters fit like a burlap sack around my waist. I don't have much to contribute myself, but: I remember reading somewhere that tall and thin people shouldn't wear vertical stripes/patterns, because it exaggerates the tallness/thinness. Horizontal stripes/patterns work well on us, for the same reason. Makes sense to me.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Agreed on cotton pants, but I haven't noticed any problems with jackets. As long as you wear a jacket that fits right, that is.

I guess I should amend the rule: wool jackets are more forgiving than cotton when the jacket is a bit roomy in the chest, waist, and elsewhere (as many/most jackets will be when your chest requires a 34, 36, or 38 jacket).

svelten

Reaction score
Awesome thread. I'm 6'0" and 155lbs so most things fit me terribly OTR. It's sort of an annoying junction that I straddle between two sizes (S or M, 14.5" or 15" neck, 36 or 38" chest) as depending on the designer those sizes would fit differently.

For shirts, the only ones I have that fit me OTR are size 15" RLBL or a size M Paul Smith... and even those could use just a bit of taking in on the waist. Zara or H&M shirts in M fit pretty well too, I'm amazed how small their 'S' is.

And I agree with staying away from clothing that is too slim or fits as tight as a glove. Really does not compliment our bodies.

chronic

Reaction score
Sign me up for the tall and skinny crowd: 5'11", 140lbs. Here's a list of brands that fit me well: Suits/blazers: Theory, Marc Jacobs mainline, Paul Smith London, Uniqlo, Thick as Thieves Dress Pants: Theory, RLBL, Uniqlo, Penguin Jeans: Pretty much anything on SW&D (Sugercane, 3Sixteen, Crates, Nudies, 5EP, etc.) Dress Shirts: Paul Smith, Kent WangxTaT, Theory Casual Shirts: BoO, MJK, Ben Sherman, Theory, Ted Baker, Burberry Prorsum I just realized that I sound like a Theory spokesman.
biggrin.gif

chronic

Reaction score

Depending on how big your feet are, I don't think they would look awkward. If the shoes are too long, you may look cartoonish, but at the same time, you don't want something wide and bulbous.

Either way, you better have some nice shoes, because with a narrow hem, you'll be seeing more of the shoe.
laugh.gif

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boots, you'll start to appreciate how cleanly they fit underneath a tapered leg.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Boots, you'll start to appreciate how cleanly they fit underneath a tapered leg.

Well, I tend to wear my jeans a little more wide at the bottom...a-la flared out. I love Guess jeans (prepared for flack) as they are slim throughout the leg, but flare out at the end to cover my converse sneaks.

In particular, I was asking about suit pants. I guess cap-toed shoes aren't great for skinnier fitting pants, but my shoe collection thus far comprise of shoes as such. Will be picking up a pair of plain toes though...I need to learn more about shoes.

I was just curious if cap-toed shoes looked odd with skinnier suit/office pants. I'm sure most won't notice, but of course we care.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronic
Depending on how big your feet are, I don't think they would look awkward. If the shoes are too long, you may look cartoonish, but at the same time, you don't want something wide and bulbous. Either way, you better have some nice shoes, because with a narrow hem, you'll be seeing more of the shoe.
laugh.gif

What's your opinion on 18.5cm wide suit pants, with Allen Edmonds Cliftons? Or perhaps, a Dior Homme suit with these shoes?
Allen-Edmonds-Clifton.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads