RULES for the tall and skinny man

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sebastian_Flyte, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

Quick question for the (skinny) masses:

When your pants are, say, 7.5inch tapered, what kind of shoes do you wear? Do you think cap-toed shoes look awkward?

2. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

That is a good question. It is hard for me to find a shoe that looks good with jeans with a small leg opening. Cap-toes can look good but it depends on which ones. I normally wear boots that are on the narrow side as I think thats what looks best.

3. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

That is a good question. It is hard for me to find a shoe that looks good with jeans with a small leg opening. Cap-toes can look good but it depends on which ones. I normally wear boots that are on the narrow side as I think thats what looks best.

How about suit pants?

4. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

I wear a pair of black Paul smith boots that I have. Funny thing is my dress pants are from the childrens section.

5. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I tried on a dior 36 a few months ago and it was incredibly slim. I'm 6 foot 2 and 125 pound and it was actually a bit tight.

Thats a typo. yes?

6. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

When your pants are, say, 7.5inch tapered, what kind of shoes do you wear? Do you think cap-toed shoes look awkward?

Thinner lasted shoes are the best option IMO, but I actually like the slight disproportion of a 'big' shoe and tapered trouser. Provided you don't wear a size 13.

I think captoe may look a little off. I personally like the look of a clean wholecut, or wholecut with a medallion.

7. fuji

fuji Senior member

Thats a typo. yes?

No, I'm in my teens, chinese and just very skinny. For trousers with a very narrow leg opening I find slightly elongated balmoral brogues look pretty good, that or chelsea boots.

8. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Great thread, I agree with almost everything, but not everything, you said in the OP. For reference: I'm 6'5 and 178lbs.
    Rule #4: 100% wool jackets. Cotton is, again, your enemy!
    Agreed on cotton pants, but I haven't noticed any problems with jackets. As long as you wear a jacket that fits right, that is.
    Sweaters: finally, some good news
    Not in my experience, unfortunately. Sweaters that fit right in the neck/shoulders/chest/waist are rarely long enough in the arms and body for me. I especially have problems finding cardigans that are long enough, almost to the point that I've given up.
    Some brands that work H&M
    H&M is hit and miss for me. Their M t-shirts fit great, but their M shirts and sweaters fit like a burlap sack around my waist. I don't have much to contribute myself, but: I remember reading somewhere that tall and thin people shouldn't wear vertical stripes/patterns, because it exaggerates the tallness/thinness. Horizontal stripes/patterns work well on us, for the same reason. Makes sense to me.

9. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Senior member

Agreed on cotton pants, but I haven't noticed any problems with jackets. As long as you wear a jacket that fits right, that is.

I guess I should amend the rule: wool jackets are more forgiving than cotton when the jacket is a bit roomy in the chest, waist, and elsewhere (as many/most jackets will be when your chest requires a 34, 36, or 38 jacket).

10. svelten

svelten Senior member

Awesome thread. I'm 6'0" and 155lbs so most things fit me terribly OTR. It's sort of an annoying junction that I straddle between two sizes (S or M, 14.5" or 15" neck, 36 or 38" chest) as depending on the designer those sizes would fit differently.

For shirts, the only ones I have that fit me OTR are size 15" RLBL or a size M Paul Smith... and even those could use just a bit of taking in on the waist. Zara or H&M shirts in M fit pretty well too, I'm amazed how small their 'S' is.

And I agree with staying away from clothing that is too slim or fits as tight as a glove. Really does not compliment our bodies.

11. chronic

chronic Senior member

Sign me up for the tall and skinny crowd: 5'11", 140lbs. Here's a list of brands that fit me well: Suits/blazers: Theory, Marc Jacobs mainline, Paul Smith London, Uniqlo, Thick as Thieves Dress Pants: Theory, RLBL, Uniqlo, Penguin Jeans: Pretty much anything on SW&D (Sugercane, 3Sixteen, Crates, Nudies, 5EP, etc.) Dress Shirts: Paul Smith, Kent WangxTaT, Theory Casual Shirts: BoO, MJK, Ben Sherman, Theory, Ted Baker, Burberry Prorsum I just realized that I sound like a Theory spokesman. [​IMG]

12. chronic

chronic Senior member

Depending on how big your feet are, I don't think they would look awkward. If the shoes are too long, you may look cartoonish, but at the same time, you don't want something wide and bulbous.

Either way, you better have some nice shoes, because with a narrow hem, you'll be seeing more of the shoe. [​IMG]

13. Lel

Lel Senior member

Boots, you'll start to appreciate how cleanly they fit underneath a tapered leg.

14. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

Boots, you'll start to appreciate how cleanly they fit underneath a tapered leg.

Well, I tend to wear my jeans a little more wide at the bottom...a-la flared out. I love Guess jeans (prepared for flack) as they are slim throughout the leg, but flare out at the end to cover my converse sneaks.

In particular, I was asking about suit pants. I guess cap-toed shoes aren't great for skinnier fitting pants, but my shoe collection thus far comprise of shoes as such. Will be picking up a pair of plain toes though...I need to learn more about shoes.

I was just curious if cap-toed shoes looked odd with skinnier suit/office pants. I'm sure most won't notice, but of course we care.

15. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

Depending on how big your feet are, I don't think they would look awkward. If the shoes are too long, you may look cartoonish, but at the same time, you don't want something wide and bulbous. Either way, you better have some nice shoes, because with a narrow hem, you'll be seeing more of the shoe. [​IMG]
    What's your opinion on 18.5cm wide suit pants, with Allen Edmonds Cliftons? Or perhaps, a Dior Homme suit with these shoes? [​IMG]