1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

RULES for the tall and skinny man

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sebastian_Flyte, Aug 21, 2009.

1. SuperSaiyan3

SuperSaiyan3 Member

Has anyone here had any luck with leather jackets? These are one of the hardest items for me to find as they're not easily tailored. I'm around the 20 BMI range

I'm 6'0 and 130lbs. I made an unwise decision to buy a leather jacket (a motorcycle jacket) from Guess back in my high school days (costs 300$). It looks awful on me due to my slimness and the jacket is CLEARLY for guys with a pack of fat on him. I had a friend who was 5'6 and 180lbs try it on and it looked 10x better on him than it did on me.

To this day I still do not wear it and it just sits in my closet and collects dust.

Sob.

2. kingyouth

kingyouth Active Member

Finally, rude or not, bulking up often should be the first priority.

I am 6'5", 158 lbs, 36XL, 32/36. I've been like this my whole life. I eat all the time. I have tried every type of protein milkshake possible. Name a way to supposedly gain weight, I've tried it. Heck, even quitting smoking didn't lead to me gaining weight like it does for most people.

FWIW, I don't mind being tall and skinny. I have invested a lot of money in clothes that finally fit. And I would rather spend my money on my next MTM suit and shirts instead of wasting it on someone's theory on how I can gain weight.

3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I am 6'5", 158 lbs, 36XL, 32/36. I've been like this my whole life. I eat all the time. I have tried every type of protein milkshake possible. Name a way to supposedly gain weight, I've tried it. Heck, even quitting smoking didn't lead to me gaining weight like it does for most people.

FWIW, I don't mind being tall and skinny. I have invested a lot of money in clothes that finally fit. And I would rather spend my money on my next MTM suit and shirts instead of wasting it on someone's theory on how I can gain weight.

+1 its extremely hard to 'bulk up' for some of us.

4. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Senior member

10 eggs for breakfast, walnuts all day, pasta for lunch, dinner, and right before bed. Gallon of milk throughout the day = win.

5. kingyouth

kingyouth Active Member

10 eggs for breakfast, walnuts all day, pasta for lunch, dinner, and right before bed. Gallon of milk throughout the day = win.

I'm half Italian, I know how to eat. Nice try, though.

6. ZackyBoy

ZackyBoy Senior member

I'm half Italian, I know how to eat. Nice try, though.

Nothing slips by you skippy.

7. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

......For stomach cramps. Unfortunately these days I can easily put on weight but it goes right to my stomach.

8. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

I'm 6'0 and 130lbs. I made an unwise decision to buy a leather jacket (a motorcycle jacket) from Guess back in my high school days (costs 300$). It looks awful on me due to my slimness and the jacket is CLEARLY for guys with a pack of fat on him. I had a friend who was 5'6 and 180lbs try it on and it looked 10x better on him than it did on me.

To this day I still do not wear it and it just sits in my closet and collects dust.

Sob.

Shame. You should donate it to your friend, better than it dusting away no?

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

Has anyone here had any luck with leather jackets? These are one of the hardest items for me to find as they're not easily tailored. I'm around the 20 BMI range

I tried on a really slim purple label jacket and it looked great. If you are thin I don't thin kyou can wear outerwear with much excess, it has to be really close to your body.

10. acconrad

acconrad Senior member

If you are lean and muscular, average bodyweight means nothing other than being a statistic.

For example. If the human normal average at 6' is 185 with 10% bodyfat, but you carry an extra 30 pounds of lean mass and are still at 10% bodyfat, it just means you are heavier than "average" but does not mean you are obese.

There was a time when I was fat at 6'2" and 190. Now at 6'2" and 190 I'm quite lean.

Human normal average != American average by a long shot. Quite sad really.

see below

Though I'd throw in a ton of meat. I had trouble gaining weight too until I actually started tracking what I ate. If you are that skinny and you aren't eating 4000 calories a day, you aren't trying hard enough [​IMG]

Anyway...take home points are good across the board

11. SuperSaiyan3

SuperSaiyan3 Member

Shame. You should donate it to your friend, better than it dusting away no?

I was thinking of selling it to my friend, but my mom advised that it's good for a guy to have a leather jacket in his life.

So I decided to a good little boy and follow her advice.

We shall see... I'm 19 years old now. Maybe I've still got room to grow both vertically and horizontally?

12. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

Getting back on track...do you think we could have a running list of designer/brands that cater to us? Perhaps even add a page to the stylewiki - similar to the slim fit shirt page: http://styleforum.pbworks.com/Slim-fit+Shirts I took a crack, will add/edit as we go along. Suits -Armani Collezioni (some suits have no vents though) -Aquascutum (Ltd. Line) -Ben Sherman (though chest may be poofy) -Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald -Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (Runs on the shorter side, make sure to check measurements) -Burberry (Slim Fit Suit, Black Label, Prorsum) -Dior Homme (Hedi era, reports of A/W 09 slim as well) -Dolce & Gabbana (Martini line) -H&M (be careful, pants run a little tighter/smaller) -Hilton -Hugo Boss (Red Label) -J.Crew (Ludlow suit - Loro Piana fabric, Half-canvassed) -Jil Sander -John Varvatos (somewhat high button) -Gucci -Marc by Marc Jacobs -Marks & Spencer -Neil Barrett (also Black by Neil Barrett) -Paul Smith (London Byard, Travel Byard, Mainline suits) -Prada -Raf Simons -Ralph Lauren Black Label (Anthony) -Theory -Thom Browne (Runs on the shorter side, make sure to check measurements) -Valentino (can't remember name...) -Yves Saint Lauren (the Tom Ford era cuts still exist!) -Zara (be careful of chest puffing) MTM Suits -Indochino -Steven Aver -Thick as Thieves NOTE: No experience in ordering, from other SF members. Shirts -Band of Outsiders -Ben Sherman -Burberry (Made in Turkey slim fit) -Duncan Quinn -Dunhill -Eton (Slim Fit line, may need darts) -Gucci (Pre-Darted Gucci mainline) -Hackett (Slim fitting shirts, line name unknown) -H&M (darts recommended) -Hickey (darts recommended) -Hugo Boss (Slim Fit - come in S,M,L,XL) -John Varvatos -Kent Wang & Thick as Thieves (limited time collaboration) -Marc by Marc Jacobs -Marks & Spencer -Paul Smith (PS, and London) -Prada (Pre-Darted Prada mainline) -Ralph Lauren Black Label -Ted Baker -Theory -Thom Browne -Thomas Pink (Slim Fits, though sleeves tended to be shorter) -Uniqlo (not as accessible) -Versace (darts recommended) -Zara (only comes in S,M,L,XL) MTM Shirts -VMClothiers.com Outerwear / Jackets -Burberry (Raincoats, Prorsum, most Peacoats) -Dunhill -Pringle (Knitwear, Outerwear, Rainwear)

13. Sebastian_Flyte

Sebastian_Flyte Senior member

^aren't Thom Browne and his Black Fleece slim but too SHORT? The sleeves/length are ridiculously short from what I've seen. Of course, if that's what you're going for...

14. vezatron

vezatron Senior member

Where do I order a pair of brown slim fit pants suitable for wear with sport coat? Olive would be nice too. Lands End is the closest I've come to finding them. 6'0 155 lbs.

15. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I'm @ 5'11 and 155 lbs! used to be 115-120 lbs. [​IMG] Custom is the way to go.

16. JonHecht

JonHecht Senior member

I'm around 6'2 and 170. Do I qualify?

17. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Where do I order a pair of brown slim fit pants suitable for wear with sport coat? Olive would be nice too. Lands End is the closest I've come to finding them. 6'0 155 lbs.
    Incotex on B&S. Yes.. group think.. but they are the slimmest trousers I have found so far. Check the measurements before you buy.

18. fuji

fuji Senior member

For shirts Hackett makes some very slim fit ones, I can't remember what the name of the fit is though. Also dunhill outerwear fits pretty slim. For polos I actually wear ralph lauren boys large 16/18. I'm 6'2" and the length looks much better then mens small ones, which fall far past the waist line.

19. Twisty

Twisty Senior member

For shirts Hackett makes some very slim fit ones, I can't remember what the name of the fit is though. Also dunhill outerwear fits pretty slim. For polos I actually wear ralph lauren boys large 16/18. I'm 6'2" and the length looks much better then mens small ones, which fall far past the waist line.

List updated, plus added an Outerwear / Jackets section.

20. fuji

fuji Senior member

Should also add pringle for knitwear and outerwear. For a really slim fit with knitwear like the black label adds there small fits really well, also there rainwear is cut very slim.