• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RULES for the tall and skinny man

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never wear any dior item with an Allen Edmonds product.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
I would never wear any dior item with an Allen Edmonds product.

Can you suggest a shoe?

FML.
frown.gif

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your Price range. Paul Smith is always a good choice. I just feel if your going to sport a sleek modern suit like Dior Homme you need shoes that are not your run of the mill AE. I mean if you got the money for a Dior suit you got the money for a pair of nicer shoes then AE.

acconrad

Reaction score
Rule #1:

Eat a goddamn burger, men should not be skinny.

How do you know if you fall into said category?

Take the number of inches taller you are than your girlfriend * 5 = someNumber

If your weight - someNumber < girlfriend's weight

You are effectively skinnier than your woman if she were your height. Please feed burger to mouth immediately.

Example:
Man, 6'4'' 160
Woman, 5'5'' 110

heightDifference = 6'4''-5'5'' = 11''

someNumber = 11*5 = 55

160-55 = 105 --> essentially what man would weigh if he were as tall as his woman

105 < 110

Man is skinnier than woman. Man needs to stop weighing like a woman and put on some weight.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acconrad
Rule #1: Eat a goddamn burger, men should not be skinny. How do you know if you fall into said category? Take the number of inches taller you are than your girlfriend * 5 = someNumber If your weight - someNumber < girlfriend's weight You are effectively skinnier than your woman if she were your height. Please feed burger to mouth immediately. Example: Man, 6'4'' 160 Woman, 5'5'' 110 heightDifference = 6'4''-5'5'' = 11'' someNumber = 11*5 = 55 160-55 = 105 --> essentially what man would weigh if he were as tall as his woman 105 < 110 Man is skinnier than woman. Man needs to stop weighing like a woman and put on some weight.
Voted: The most useless post on Styleforum. To advise eating a hamburger is so cliche. Common', be more creative. PS - don't hate on the skinny, currently stylish trend man. Hate on the fact that we are fit, not fat, and equally as healthy
bigstar[1].gif

chronic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twisty
What's your opinion on 18.5cm wide suit pants, with Allen Edmonds Cliftons?

Or perhaps, a Dior Homme suit with these shoes?

Allen-Edmonds-Clifton.jpg

I think the Cliftons (and AE in general) are too conservative to be worn with "skinny" pants. I like the mention of Paul Smith shoes as a more modern alternative.

Any other recommendations for modern shoes with slim pants?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My .02
  • For dressier clothing cuff your pants. Also wear contrasting shoes. Both of these things make a break in the leg so that it doesn't appear lanky.

• If your really skinny, thicker fabrics help add "weight". Fabrics such as velvet, denim, and wool (as the original poster noted).

• If one's tall and thin, one should find shoes that are proportionate to the body. Thick, clunky shoes will look really thick and clunky when on a tall, thin person.

• Horizontal stripes on the shirts/sweaters help widen the upper half...

• V-necks will make your face look longer and thinner... Crew necks are probably better.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
For dressier clothing cuff your pants.

I tend to keep my pants straight and uncuffed.

I'm intersted in how many of us 'skinny & tall' folk cuff our pants?

I tend to believe that uncuffed pants give an elegant and smooth appearance of the legs. Longer legs, in general, appear to be more attractive and most people notice/compliment my legs when they appear longer.

Sache

Reaction score
6'2.5
155lbs
36/37 sleeves
15.5 neck
38 in chest
30 inch waist
32/34 pants

musicboohoo[1].gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to keep my pants straight and uncuffed. I'm intersted in how many of us 'skinny & tall' folk cuff our pants? I tend to believe that uncuffed pants give an elegant and smooth appearance of the legs. Longer legs, in general, appear to be more attractive and most people notice/compliment my legs when they appear longer.
I guess it depends on the overall look of the tall person. One thing a short person can do is to wear, for example, black shoes with black uncuffed pants. This eliminates any break between the shoes and pants and makes the legs look longer. But, on a taller person there's a line is between looking elegant and lanky.

Sebastian_Flyte

Reaction score
Quick question for the (skinny) masses:

When your pants are, say, 7.5inch tapered, what kind of shoes do you wear? Do you think cap-toed shoes look awkward?

Not IMO. The fact that they're cap-toed in and of itself seems irrelevant-- it's the overall size/shape of the shoe and its proportion to your legs that's the issue. Some cap toes will look clunky, some will look sleek. It just depends on the brand.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rule #1:

Eat a goddamn burger, men should not be skinny.

How do you know if you fall into said category?

Take the number of inches taller you are than your girlfriend * 5 = someNumber

If your weight - someNumber < girlfriend's weight

You are effectively skinnier than your woman if she were your height. Please feed burger to mouth immediately.

Example:
Man, 6'4'' 160
Woman, 5'5'' 110

heightDifference = 6'4''-5'5'' = 11''

someNumber = 11*5 = 55

160-55 = 105 --> essentially what man would weigh if he were as tall as his woman

105 < 110

Man is skinnier than woman. Man needs to stop weighing like a woman and put on some weight.

Your eating of a cheeseburger theory wont work. I eat fast food everyday as I am on the road all the time and makes no difference in my weight. I enjoy being skinny. I can fit in tight places if need be. Plus I kinda enjoy the hunt for the perfect fitting clothing.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
But only if you have arms that, for somebody 6'+ are on the short side or don't mind your sleeves being short.
wink.gif

Sweaters are a real problem, both because of the short sleeves and the high waist. I have the same waist problem with T-shirts.

acconrad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
Your eating of a cheeseburger theory wont work. I eat fast food everyday as I am on the road all the time and makes no difference in my weight. I enjoy being skinny. I can fit in tight places if need be. Plus I kinda enjoy the hunt for the perfect fitting clothing.

You're right...I don't advocate poor eating or being obese...but truth be told, being underweight is also unhealthy. Plus, no man should be skinnier / frailer than a woman. Being 6'0'' 140 is frail. It's not manly.

So I reneg my statement and replace it with:

"If you are underweight, eat a 10oz fillet mignon with some broccoli immediately. Repeat 6 times a day, substituting beef for chicken and fish with associated vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes."

I'm 6'0'' 194 and I still consider myself to be skinny...

obiter dictum

Reaction score
I'm 6'0'' 194 and I still consider myself to be skinny...
6'0" 194 is definitely not skinny, it's not even slim. If you calculate your BMI, you fall into the the lower end of the overweight bracket. Not that BMI is an accurate indicator, but it gets my point across.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads