• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes to walk in with shorts

southerncollegeboy

Reaction score
In about a 2 months I'm going to a major city--and the weather should be warm.  I may be wearing khaki shorts some and I need comfortable, but still good-looking, shoes to wear. I have black adidas sambas, which I'd wear with not-socks, so maybe that? Or get some NewBalances? Any suggestions? I'm 20 and want to dress relatively age-appropriate.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
My first piece of advice would be to avoid shorts. I think they look childish, like you're on the Morton's salt box or something. I agree that I don't like the look of socks with shorts (I'm talking athletic shorts - as I mentioned above, I generally don't otherwise wear shorts). However, I'd suggest wearing those little ankle socks. I have a hard time finding them - my best luck is in the women's section. Just cut off the little pom poms
wink.gif
I suggest this because I have rendered several pairs of sneakers unwearable by wearing them without socks. It could be that my feet stink more than others, but once they stink, there's not much you can do about it. As for actual shoe recommendations, I can only suggest sneakers.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd advise against shorts as well. If you must, where a fashion sneaker based on running shoes. You can find very short socks in any running store. Sneakers with shorts look better sockless, but are much less comfortable. Sandals are a good idea in concept, but I've never seen something that works well. You are generally left with the unenviable position of deciding between mandals (look: either old man or a severely injured fashion victim), and "sport" sandals, which stink, literally, and make you look like a clueless fratboy or granola eater. Whatever you do, don't ever buy a pair of man clogs.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Considering your moniker, and the fact you're aiming for khaki shorts, I think you're probably going for a collegiate type look, which is not the same as an LA/Metro look. I think for someone your age, in your location--and assuming a more traditional look--I think khaki shorts are fine. Don't wear them too short.

There are various shoe options. I think fisherman sandals could work (no socks.). I like to wear the cotton canvas Sperry-type deck shoe (pick your brand). Boat shoes would work, as would penny loafers (probably go with a rubber sole for more comfort). Suede Bass bucs could even work, methinks.

I'm sure some from a more urban perspective would cringe at the above, (and it depends on what you're actually going to be doing, of course), but making the assumptions I state above, I think those suggestions would be fine.

shoreman80

Reaction score
The advice of the other members is accurate, and I do agree that pants are more appropriate than shorts no matter what the occasion, unless it's athletic. But there is certainly something to be said for being able to wear shorts without looking stupid. I spent some time in London, and when the weather warmed up, all those brits, so debonair in the chill and damp, looked ridiculous in shorts and black socks.

I'm 23, and in the summer I eagerly fall victim to frat fashion. If it's an occasion where shorts are acceptable, casual footwear often is too. You've probably already considered these, but try tasteful leather flip flops (Rainbow sandals makes quality ones, though they also cater to hippies and surfers). Fisherman's sandals can be good, but be careful not to go too International Male.

I sport the flip flops, or when toes shouldn't be seen, white tennis shoes (a classic, Jack-Purcell or Adidas, nothing too earnestly athletic), or penny loafers - I can hear people howling preppy, but these looks are durable when it's warm. No socks allowed.

Sometimes I'd rather not look so collegiate/touristy, but when that's the case I usually just switch to pants. I'm sure other posters will recommend linen pants in place of the shorts altogether.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For casual wear, I see nothing wrong with a pair of nice khaki shorts. I wouldn't wear them to work, but for kicking around on the weekend in the Summer, shorts are hard to beat.

My favorite shoes to wear with shorts are sandals, deck shoes, or plain white canvas sneakers. Mostly, I don't wear socks. If I wear socks (with the deck shoes or sneakers), they are short, white, cotton socks.

WayTooPreppy

Reaction score
Wait shorts are childish looking. Never a good time to wear shorts. Can someone elaborate?

I was searching for "why do midwest people love ugly plaid shorts" when I came across this. I realize if you are going out after 8 but just in the city during the day shorts are childish?

I'll still wear shorts just curious that people really think this or just a couple random posters.

Thanks.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
fail09.jpg
Realizing this was teh major necro bump...

There are still valuable lessons to be learned...I would suggest this:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southerncollegeboy
In about a 2 months I'm going to a major city--and the weather should be warm. Â I may be wearing khaki shorts some and I need comfortable, but still good-looking, shoes to wear. I have black adidas sambas, which I'd wear with not-socks, so maybe that? Or get some NewBalances? Any suggestions? I'm 20 and want to dress relatively age-appropriate.

Fey sandals? No way.
Boots, my young friend.
Check out the real man on the left.

http://www.afrika-korps.com/afrikako...ikakorps_t.jpg

http://www.ostfront.com/militaria/prods/GOUN-00001.html

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
Shorts were childish...in the 19th century.
facepalm.gif

thierthier

Reaction score
Converse Allstars in a summer tint, without socks. There's no such thing as an invisible sock, and you can throw the allstars in the laundry if your feet make them smell.
They're comfortable, and you can choose between the classic higher ones or the low cut model. Just be sure to keep the top laceholes untied if you're going for the high version.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shorts are great and can be worn with a polo, a short sleeved shirt or a folded long sleeved shirt. you could even pull it off with a jacket, weather permitting ... like i did here:

S7306371.jpg

in terms of shoes i recommend a suede loafer (either mocha or sand) ... ferragamo and calvin klein both have very nice ones at different price points (300 vs 100).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads