• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC eateries- recommendations?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why anyone whould choose to eat a slice of that gross stuff rather than a proper pizza a block down at No.28 Carmine is beyond me. But then again, after 10 years here, I still don't get the greasy, sweaty, rancid "NY pizza" slice thing...

Originally Posted by cheessus
I've just got to experience the hype. What's the difference between Joe's and No.28 Carmine?

To be fair, Joe's has a pretty good crust and their toppings (i.e. sauce & cheese) are well above average. They're busy, so your slice is generally very fresh.....

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
To be fair, Joe's has a pretty good crust and their toppings (i.e. sauce & cheese) are well above average. They're busy, so your slice is generally very fresh.....

I've had Joe's - and I don't get it. To me, it goes in the same bag as Magnolia, tourist, overhyped places that don't deserve it.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joe's is good... relative to other slices of traditional NY pizza (as you have described above).

That would be my choice if i were around NYU and looking for a quick pizza slice.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cchen
katz's is nothing special these days. the only thing worth getting is the pastrami, which sadly, isn't as good as it used to be.

Originally Posted by gdl203
Joe's, Ben's, Ray's... they're all the same stuff. Gross, oversized mushy slices with a ton of tasteless, stringy cheese, sitting in a window and being reheated to order. They sweat and ooze grease, have no flavor to speak of and feel like you ate a small pack of cement afterwards. As you can tell, I'm not a huge fan of "NY slices"... No 28 is just a normal pizza place that uses a proper pizza oven and puts out a good tasty, normal-sized pizza. There's plenty of them in the city (some more hyped than others) - No 28 just happens to be right across the street from Joe and that's why I brought it up.

I just asked my friend about Katz's and Joe's, since the former is a famous place. He says that both suck because he hates how everything at those places "taste like NY sewer water." I then asked about Carnegie deli and he pretty much said the same thing. Too expensive, but you do get a lot. He does like the chopped liver sandwich.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of these legendary NY delis serve gross stuff. Katz's pastrami and brisket sandwiches are just a mountain of greasy meat on top of a slice of bread. People feel like they're getting a lot and the size is "part of the experience", with a feeling of pride when they can finish it. Another thing I don't get.

Stage and Ben's (not the pizza) are the only places where I can eat a pastrami sandwich (provided I request it extra lean, while trying to avoid the waiter's and "true NYers"' heavy eye-rolling). However, to be honest and it's probably NY blasphemy, but my favorite pastrami sandwich in NYC is at 'wichcraft....
lookaround.gif
Their toasted reuben-like sandwich is pretty pretty good.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm sad to read of the decline of the NY deli. I never go to them, but often think about how ours suck in comparison.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I'm sad to read of the decline of the NY deli. I never go to them, but often think about how ours suck in comparison.

I think this is what happens when places become tourist attractions rather than local eateries. They - purposedly or not - become caricatures of themselves. Big becomes bigger, moist becomes greasy, funny rude becomes just rude, etc.... They give tourists what they're looking for and what they expect.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
While you are at Yonah's, check out Russ and Daughters Appetizing for the best smoked fish anywhere!

http://www.russanddaughters.com/

Perhaps u can suggest what to get at Russ and Daughters (for my benefit and the benefit of tourists)

I live 2 blocks from there and venture in there on weekends.... but never know what to order. So then I leave empty handed.

Seems very expensive.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a little bit of each of the smoked salmons if you don't know which you prefer (atlantic, scottish, lox, etc...). Then figure out what your favorite is.

MHH89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
smile.gif

I remember walking to Yonah Schimmels with my parents 50 years ago when I was a little boy. We lived on Clinton St. and it was quite a treat.

We used to walk to Katz's Deli on Houston too. Do you NYC people still consider Katz's a place to go? Or is it nothing special these days. We used to walk to Ratners on Delancey St. too.

To the OP. Enjoy your quest of cuisine. Of course NYC has a vibrant and famed haute cuisine scene, but some of the hole in the wall, and little known places are fun, very good, and certainly less expensive.

KAtz's is still the premier deli in NYC

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads