• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I worry Chipp is too tasteful to feel comfortable working at my desired level of vulgarity.

Also, I worry about getting fat, as I have been fat before, and that one day I will be embarrassed by my current proclivities.

I mean, really, you've seen how I dress.

You're perfect for Chipp/Winston.

Old BB was lifecyle-friendly.

- B

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I wish. I wonder how many are left. At least a couple of his Avengers suits were cut up into tiny pieces and sold with trading cards.

As horrified as I am by that, I still own one.

crazy.gif
yikes. That's criminal. I thought a few might have been preserved somewhere in the ABC archives. Maybe quietly auctioned off by Christie's or something.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
crazy.gif
yikes. That's criminal. I thought a few might have been preserved somewhere in the ABC archives. Maybe quietly auctioned off by Christie's or something.

Dibbs on Foof's first Matuozzo.

I want to use strips to light each fireplace.

- B

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
crazy.gif

One of the bowlers (or what was advertised as one of the bowlers) was listed on eBay a while back, but the minimum bid was sufficiently high that it didn't sell. I'd pay good money for one of the umbrellas, though I'm sure there are plenty of others who would too. In another historical travesty, pieces were cut from the trou Clyde Barrow was wearing when he was ambushed with Bonnie and sold at a premium.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
There is some truth in Foo's premise. A baseball player who is known as an excellent hitter will often influence the umpire. If he doesn't swing at a borderline pitch, it is more often called a 'ball' (or presumed to be a ball). Does that mean it really wasn't a ball? Of course not. PG's looks may be assumed to succeed before critical analysis. Does that mean that they don't succeed on the merits? No. I think that's a fair analogy.

I have always liked PG's looks and posts. Sometimes he fails (nurse shoes), but he often succeeds in ways that actually make me smile. He has a great joie de vivre and it really shows. Many of his details (or affects) would be too much on most anyone else, but I believe he really makes it work for him.

The hand thrust in jacket pocket thing is attributable to edmorel.

I tend to agree with this in many cases. PG so rarely misses though, and I think the only time I have ever called him out was the nurse shoes; and even then, after some thought and a little scuffing and dirt, I actually changed my mind on them also.

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Wow, while catching up on this thread I consumed most of my morning coffee....I'll dare chime in with a few freshman thoughts.

Vox, thanks for the caviar shot.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I think what really pulls in the crowds are that when you're out on your own you have a perception of what is 'well dressed' but you find it hard to achieve. When you show up here you are originally well out of the league of these posters. They pull you in, give you solid feedback (very harsh at times) and you become a bit more then you could have ever done on your own.

1+, SF provides room for experimentation with feedback.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hmmm.

How about approaching the PG thought of the day this way...PG informalizes his ensembles through various techniques...is there a good case to be made that this is the way to give tailored clothes modern significance?

Something more thoughtful than, say, removing your tie.

Maomao also comes to mind.

- B

Perhaps an evolution of historic rules of men's dress. The bold red fountain pen also comes to mind. It wasn't about showing your stuff as it wa

Originally Posted by iammatt
Y'all suck at stylez.

Funny.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I don't buy that there are "cult-like tendencies" unless we choose to debase genuine likes that people happen to share or develop into something pejorative.

Feature convergence is actually pretty minimal, and the degree of conformity is less apparent in photographs here than in, say, most work environments.

I attribute this to a degree of eccentricity that causes men to sign up for, read, and then produce content...discursive or diaristic...for a social site centered on clothing.

The degree and type of eccentricity is not greater or less than men and women who spend time and effort on the myriad topical social sites on the internet...cars...bodybuilding...politics...whatever...but the ones here are eccentric about clothes.
- B

Eccentricities abound in my small universe. I'll prattle on discussing watch movements/design/history, motorcycle modifications, and even clothing choices for too many hours. My idiosyncratic nature thirsts for a better understanding of many things including style. All the while I continue to define and evlove MY style. Having a minimally, stylistic upbringing my college and grad years were molded by Flusser and the like. As I became a professional the common uniform became tempting. Something just didn't sit well. The desire to seek more knowledge led me to AA (although I didn't find the format appealing) and ultimately to SF.

I cannot deny the SF influence. My trousers and few jackets have gone on a diet. Yes, I now own two pairs of white pants, at least. I have a new interest in quality of shoes and denim. I have scavenged various stylistic components from members WAYWT posts. One can see my failed attempt at wool trousers with desert boots from yesterday as proof. Yet, I fail to see this as convergence. More "enouragvence." SF tends to push my narrow view of what is appropriate/stylish. The feedback has proven quite educational.

I believe PG's deconstruction of more formal looks fits his personality. I doubt SF will see an explosion of loose BDCs. I love this look with my 10yo white oxford which accompanies each trip to the beach. I doubt you will see it in any of my WAYWT posts. But the possibility....

On the other hand, what do I know?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I try to stay away from justifyng my opinions of WAWYN pictures based on inferences of underlying attitude, personality, emotional state, etc. It's way too easy to imagine those things. I really think PG would look just as good to me if he blurred out his face and posed mannequin-like. Of course, if you're looking for (life)style, you'll think quite differently.

PG has a fantastic color sense. That's why he's always stuck out to me as a good dresser, even when the fit of his clothes was a little wonky. We dress differently, but his taste for the right kind of contrast is something I really admire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads