• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
thanks for the add Vox.

my thoughts on this topic is that if you are an average or above average dresser prior to SF, you would probably not be caught up in the group-think because you have a level of confidence in how you look/dress. in a sense - this is similar to what TC said above.

i absolutely believe that SF makes an individual a better dresser - however i hope that people are not coming here and copying others to create their style, but rather honing their personal style based on bits and pieces they pick up from other posters.

group-think probably affects those who come here with a clean slate looking to learn from scratch (and this is fine). what is important is that as the individual learns how to dress and dress well, it is paramountly important for them to also learn how to dress individualistically.

teacha.gif

+1

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
So do I, but the question remains: how much does Vox influence the forum's current perception of PG? Does part of PG's possible 'free pass' (as alluded to earlier by other posters) come from Vox's own enthusiasm for his style?
This would be the final blazer button nail in the fresco coffin.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
This would be the final blazer button nail in the fresco coffin.

I'm not sure what you find funny. I think PG has great taste and style. I think Vox is an invaluable contributor to the forum. I benefit from both of their influences. I'm only pointing out that it's difficult to determine how much people are influenced by reputation and standing over substantive qualities.

I'm not attacking either PG or Vox.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
I guess there could be more french suits on here, but other than that what's really missing?

From my perspective, there's more missing than there is here, and I don't mean that as insult to SF but as a testament to the breadth and depth of the world of style. Il Vecchio has hardly posted his wardrobe, but everyone remembers his stuff for a reason. It was such a startling contrast to the bright 'n' bold SF aesthetic. It was subdued and elegant, and indifferent to SF norms. In terms of cut, SF tends to worship the soft shoulder, partly because that's what RTW tells us is in, and the skinny trou. But I'd love to see someone come along with, say, a strong military cut, or who likes high-rolling 3 button coats in the English tradition. Even PG's full-cut trou, when he first arrived, were startling. I like that; I want to be startled.

Honestly, if we had a regular poster who patronized an excellent military-style tailor, I suspect he would win converts, same as Iammatt has won converts to Rubinacci. I think the Rubinacci stuff is great; I love seeing it, same as I like seeing Vox's Steed stuff. But that in no way lessens my desire to see the other options. Call me greedy that way.

I think that you're not alone in assuming that SF represents the world of style, but I also think that's a reflection of how narrow our focus here can be. (And I include myself in that.)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Honestly, if we had a regular poster who patronized an excellent military-style tailor, I suspect he would win converts

We have dopey, but he is the worst photographer in the known universe.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
We have dopey, but he is the worst photographer in the known universe.

I'd also be hesitant of taking photos if I risked warping my ties into hyperspace. I know what shower steam can do; I can only imagine what wormhole damage would be like.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Dopey is also about as monogamous as me, tailor-wise. I saw him today in Paul Winston trad, which ain't much like Dege.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Dopey is also about as monogamous as me, tailor-wise. I saw him today in Paul Winston trad, which ain't much like Dege.
That's a man after my own heart. It's my struggle to reconcile these tastes that partly prompts my stance on this issue, I'd guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads